Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

My pygmy doe, Boston, has really bad diarrhea and I don't know what to do for it. She stayed 17 days over at a friends house while I was away in China, and was fine there. After I got her and her 2 week old kids home, she has had diarrhea bad. At first it was slightly solid, now it is totall liquid. For the first two days of treatment I gave probios and vitamin B shots... Which did nothing to help, the diarrhea just got worse. After two days treatment I ran out of probios. Yesterday I gave pennicillin and vitamin B, and 2 oz of kaolin pectin... still no improvement. She is acting normal, eating, grazing, drinking, and is normally active. No change in diet from my friends house to mine, and she is fed the same amount. The only thing that is different is that here she has access to a larger pasture and browse.
    I have to "clean her" up twice a day so far... And cleaning up after her is no fun either... her kids are covered in it and so is thier housing... What can I do??? I can call the vet whenever I need to, but want to know if there is something I can do before calling him.

2. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

I'm not sure if this is normal goat procedure, but last year one of ours got a bad bout of diarrhea and we were told to give her pepto bismol. It worked well for us, but I don't know if it is something that is advised often, or even that good of advice. Just know it worked for us. :)

3. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, I am no expert. We did use 'scour halt' on the advice of one of our goat's breeders, and it did the trick. It is a pig remedy (antibiotic ) and primarily hits e-coli. Don't know if it is ok for lactating goats but if you think it could be e-coli you could look into this.

Good luck.

Lynn in Mesa COunty, CO

4. Caprice Acres

e-coli? what are the symptoms besides diarrhea? what was the dosage you used, and for what size goat (I usually have to halve the dosages for my pygmies from standard size goat dosages)

5. Caprice Acres

still need help... Boston has lost her appetite, too now. I have people coming to look at her kids this weekend... don't want them thinking I'm a bad owner, As daisy's hind end is continually getting covered in kidding discharge, and Boston's hind end is all pooey. Not to mention that the kids are getting her poo all over them... Plus Boston is kinda skinny yet.

6. goat^farmer

goat^farmer Well-Known Member

Your goat may have cocci and if so you need to give Dimothex-40% as soon as possible. Does the diarrhea smell really bad?

If so she has the cocci but mostly in grown goats they do not get cocci. Reason most adult goats get the diarrhea is because of overfeeding on grain or worms. Sometime a adult goat will get cocci but most of the time it usually from something else. If your goat does have cocci and you do not treat her for that you could easily loose that doe. Check the goat for dehydration. Pinch the skin and if it snaps back into place your goat is not seriously dehydrated. If the skin stays 'tented' like beaten egg whites, the goat is seriously dehydrated. Mix electrolytes ReSorb or equivalent) and orally drench the animal to prevent dehydration. Also what gives goats diarrhea is worms has she been tested to see if she has worms. Since you said the diet hasn’t changed it can’t be the diet of hers it has to be worms or something other than that. Checks see if her eyelids are white if so she has worms. So treat her for worms if you haven’t done that already. You can use Spectam Scour-Halt for diarrhea only if she does not have cocci if she does it will not help one bit. If you do not know what she has do this Always run a fecal examination on the goat's feces before attempting any treatment because if you do not know what is wrong you maybe treating her wrong. Lots of goat owners run for a bottle of Pepto-Bismol, Kaeopectate, or Scour Halt. You need to find out what is wrong if you do not know what is causing her diarrhea. Get a VET to your house ASAP unless you know of someone that deals with goats and get their help ASAP because you could loose your goat or goats.

Remember this NEVER use Imodium AD' to control diarrhea in a goat because it can kill a goat.

7. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Sounds like you've done what you can besides see the vet . . . with a loss of appetite, I'd be worried. Perhaps the vet should be consulted now over the phone if he/she can't see her until this w/e? If I didn't have IV fluids available, I'd go right to the vet for the next step.

For more experienced goat owners: will the penicillin w/o the probios cause further diarrhea?

I wonder if she got too much of a good thing . . . is you're friends pasture really lush? I've heard goats can become ill by eating lush pasture resulting from a rain after a long dry spell.

If that's the case, giving her antidiarrheal meds may or may not be a good idea but that's dangerous, too. Watch her water intake, in this heat (not sure where you are) dehydration could happen in hours.

DH rescued a couple of border collie pups the owner was desperate to be rid of (one way or another :nono: ). They weren't weaned, 7 wks old, and I had to rush them to the vet the next day for dehydration. It happened very fast even w/o diarrhea. They're fine now, and bouncing all over. Of course, we love them already.

8. goat^farmer

goat^farmer Well-Known Member

You need to take the kids off her if she is nursing them because it will drag her on down with her being sick. If you can milk her and move the kids away from her until you know what your dealing with because the longer the kids are with her the worse it will be for her. She needs to get well. You may not want to bottle feed but you will have to. I can not remember if you said they are nursing on her or not but if so I would pull the kids and take over their care an get her well or they will drag her down badly...

9. Caprice Acres

If I move her kids out it will just stress her. Milking is not an option either, her udder is teeny in the first place, her teats are tiny tiny, tiny. She would stress out if I put her in the stand to be milked. she hates her udder touched by people. Vet will be called tomorrow... But I won't be able to get here there till after 6? something, or I could get him to come out but my father won't be here to pay him if He does come out... It's 10:30 here. Her poo does smell bad... I have some 1% ivermectin on hand if I need to worm her. and she was wormed a month? before kidding with positive pellet dewormer, which I know she won't eat right now... What is the dosage for goats with 1% ivermectin? The pasture where she was at was not lush, and she didn't have diarrhea at her house as much as I know.

10. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Id take her off the pasture and feed her nothing but hay. Stop all the medications except the Pepto unless you KNOW she has worms or coccidiosis. Antibiotics are NOT a scours treatment. and can even make it worse. They should only be given when youre sure there is an infection, or to prevent one in case of a wound. If shes getting dehydrated you can give electrolytes. Transporting and putting her on richer pastures could be the whole problem

11. Caprice Acres

I don't feed hay in the summer. I have none on hand. I don't have a place to separate her/her kids from the pasture, either. I could close them all off from the pasture, If I must. I'm afraid to stop feeding her as I think she maybe underweight as well... Or it could be that her body has changed from her first pregnancy. Vet will be called tomorrow, and we'll see what he has to say. Most of the time he just tells me what to do over the phone, and I do it. He probably won't run a fecal, I don't even know if he has the equipment needed; though if he wants to see her, she'll be there asap after my dad gets home. She's been drinking fine. Is this something I should be worried about spreading to the rest of my goats? What about the two 4 day olds I'm bottle feeding in the house, can they get it from me working with her?
    My goodness this is all very stressful. I just got back from china last weekend, Daisy kidded, I'm bottle feeding two kids, and now Boston is sick. Ugg.
    Thanks everybody, at least I have an idea of whats going on and how to treat it. I love this forum.

12. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Could be the stress from being moved back to your place from your friends.....or cold be cocci/parasites. Is there another vet who can run a fecal? Cat/dog vets can check for cocci. If not vet is available to do a fecal and she still has diarrhea, I'd buy some sulmet (or you can use Albon or Di-Methoox) and treat her with that. If she hasn't been wormed in awhile, I'd also worm her. Sulmet will kill the cocci....Ivomec (or any other wormer like Levamisole, Safeguard ) will kill any other worms/parasites.

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/medications.htm#sulfamethazine

13. Caprice Acres

Called the vet today, she thinks is pneumonia. She's gonna have 3 shots ready for me later today when we can come pick them up... I'm gonna give them every other day.

14. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

donna did she gave you the diagnosis over the phone? are they coughing?
    i think because of moving stress they have a parasite overload. if that were my goats i would take them of pasture, feed only grass hay and worm them. have a look under their lower eye lid and see if it is still dark pink.

15. Caprice Acres

I think I will worm her as well... whats the 1% ivermectin dosage for goats? I havent looked under her eyelid, and yes, the diagnosis was by phone. She is not coughing, but she has gone off her feed and she doesn't go out to pasture really, she spends most of her time either in the barn or outside on the cement, napping with her kids, so I doubt its the pasture.

16. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Donna,

So sorry to hear Boston is not feeling well...

Has she been she wormed since she kidded? I am thinking 'worm load'. The stress of kidding, then the move would make her very susceptible.

My notes say,
    Ivermectin inj. orally at 1 cc / 33 lbs

Do you have any nutra-drench? That would be good for her.

I have used Kaopectate with my goats and it has worked very well.

Don't forget to get her some more probios, she'll need it, especially if the vet puts her on antibiotics for phneumonia. :)shrug: )

I hope everything works out with her,
    Christy

17. Caprice Acres

OK well I'll get around to worming her quick here. I believe she was wormed maybe a week before kidding or so, now that I look at my records, but worming again can't hurt.

18. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

you are right, can't hurt. make sure the wormer is still working for your animals. do a fecal or bring a fecal to your vet.
    b-complex and probios would be helpful too.
    did you take her temperature? it is still very hot an humid. this can make her a little bit lazy too. make sure she is drinking enough. put a little bit electrolyte in her water to encourage her to drink. i have a doe that loves oranges. maybe you can try that too? lots of fluids in oranges. but start slowly.

19. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

This goat needs wormed ASAP Without seeing the goat without taking a temp how in the heck can the VET diagnose pneumonia?? plus diarrea is not a comon ailment associated with pneumonia. Is she raspy in her lungs? I just do not understand where pneumonia came into play here.
    Give her probios get her either some hay or alfalfa pellets and get her off the grass until the diarrea stops. I would myself give her a cmpk which is calcium/mag pack as sounds rather like she is also hypocalcimic. which with the diarrea and not eating you are going to lose her unless you give IV fluids or something.

20. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Sorry if I sound really harsh above but it is time for concern here.