Diarrhea in 3yo doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lijj, Aug 16, 2006.

1. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

I have a three year old oberhasli doe who I just noticed today has diarrhea. It smells bad. She's not acting any different, same old laziness. She has two 2 month old kids. I don't milk her, but I don't think her milk production has gone down. She's eating normally (piggy) and I don't think she's eating anything different. I did give her a few raisins yesterday but it was only like, 5 raisins total. She isn't losing weight, she actually looks good for a doe making milk (not skinny at all).

It can't be cocci, right? Do 3 year olds get cocci? My nubian doe had cocci when she was a few months old, and the two were together and the oberhasli didn't get any diarrhea or cocci then.

They both got wormed about 2 weeks after kidding -- which was about one and half months ago.

2. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

do you know if she got into a bunch of milkweed? :shrug:

3. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

hmm... I don't think so. There is some out in the field but I don't see why that would show up now.

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Cocci isn't that common in adults but it can occur. And it does have a peculiar odor (not good!) to it. What color is the stool? Is there anything she could have gotten into?

5. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

Yea, I didn't think it'd be that common especially since she's NEVER had any kind of diarrhea before. It's kind of greenish. I saw it tonight and it seemed less runny. I'm going to clean out their pen this weekend... I'd do it earlier but my dad doesn't have time to bring out the manure spreader, and I did 3 wheelbarrel loads today but I have to walk up a hill to spread it and it's not fun when you've got blisters all on your hands :x

I'll watch her, perhaps she just has an upset stomach. I put some baking soda in with them and she seemed to pick at it (the one kid really likes it... lol)

6. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

As a very general statement green colored stool tends toward diet upset while brown tends toward cocci. Not written in stone but a broad based indication.

7. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I've watched my goats walk by a plant species day after day and then suddenly act like it's their favorite and search it out among the other weeds. Change in taste? Change in the goats? Hard to say.

They've been eating milkweed all summer but only a small amount at a time compared to the rest.

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I would bet anything it is Cocci. I don't care what anyone says, adult goats can and will get it. I have had several 4Hers lose goats (adult) due to it. I am talking goats as old as 6. I had a 4Her call several weeks ago and she told me what was going on. I told her to load him in the truck and get him to the vet,(NOW) he didn't have time and he would not make it alone with a treatment. It is a good thing she did because the vet said that he only had hours left. He stayed in the hospital for 48 hours and made it through. I would do a oral treatment of whatever you use. We use Corid around here but I read here lots of people use Albon. Good Luck

9. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone :)

Ok now her poops aren't runny anymore. They are solid but they are still kind of clumped together.

My guess is she ate something or just didn't feel well... hopefully she'll return to normal in a few days!