Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I use wal mart connect. 9.94 a month for unlimited surfing. Should be able to get it anywhere you can get aol. Just pick up a disk at any Wal Mart, free. I've been using it now over a year and really like it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I work as a System Administrator for www.cybrquest.com we are working on a complete overhaul of our mom and pop organization and trying to stay wirh mom and pop services like call us and we answer the phone and help you solve your tech problems that occur when hooking up the services and email problems and so forth.

We have over 62,000 local connect numbers across the United States, and we are looking for additional customers. We are a little more spendy than a few others, but that too may change in time. Our 240 hour dialup is currently $8.99 per month, with no disconnects from our accounting software if left idle.

feel free to contact me via PM or my boss [wayne] from the above webpage and mention you seen this here if you have more questions... include your area code and city indicator [next three digits to provide you with a local dial up number]

We discontinued our toll free number, however that too is being reimplemented as we just changed telephone service for the business. OUr current phone number is on the page mentioned above too.

Thanks for considering a change. And we also provide satelite services, but would need an installer outside of our home area if a homesteader could not put it up theirself.

William

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
wmconnect (Wal-Mart Connect) is really AOL Lite, I'm told. Uses an older version of AOL (about 5.0 I believe) and the same access number and help numbers. Like AOL without all of the current bells and whistles of 9.0. Can still be run on older PCs. As noted, about $9.99 a month with a month or two free trial last I checked.

I have dial-up through Bell South. While AOL has a local number now, I went with their Area-wide calling, which is a local call to a wide area of TN. Thus, it is not unusual for me to use a server in either Clarksville or Nashville, although both would ordinarily be long distance.

Service qualify is very variable. About half the time it is fine for my needs and the other where it takes very long to load pages or just freezes to where even Control/Alt/Delete won't get you out of it. DSL is now available, but at $30 a month and up. DirectWay is also available. I have DirectTV and can tell when really heavy rain is coming as I lose the signal a minute or so before it hits. Suspect same would happen with the Internet connection. Plus with DirectWay you need a separate dish.

To me, AOL is well worth the money WHEN IT WORKS. wmconnect might be a consideration.

I am surprised the U.S. Postal Service hasn't started an Internet service. Seems like they could have their own dedicated servers in each of the Post Offices so it would be local access for most people.

Ken Scharabok

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I have wmconnect and it is a junior version of compuserve, 24-7 unlimited for $9.94. Just upgraded to XP OS and there is a glitch not yet corrected, you get an error message on the home page, each and every time you use the home page, other than that its adequate.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Earthlink is the best if you don't have to pay for an extended calling area to get them but their popup blocking on my puter drove it nuts and it had problems.

Got rid of the earthlink and went to AOL because they offered toll free for our area...

They dropped us. For more than what Earthlink was charging they wanted to limit us to 10 hrs a month.

We got NetZero Hi-Speed paid internet. They are alright. For now...I've seen worse.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts