dial-up internet

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sage, Sep 30, 2004.

1. sage

sage On a City lot for now

Hi all,

Who do you use for dial-up connection for internet?

We can't get DSL unless we pay big bucks for Directway. Not in the budget for now, so limited to dial-up UUHK!!

So who do you use?

I got a free AOL disk but I don't care for AOL (to much a month) also signed up with peoplepc.com but e-mail seems a bit hard to access. Looked into yahoo not a bad price at 15.95 but they want a 6 month comitment?

Thank,
    sage

2. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I have used peoplepc for years with no problem. I can even access my email from work. Look into earthlink, also. My mother has used that for quite a while.

3. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

I've used CompuServe for years and years. It's 17.95 a month for me. I don't care for AOL either-not user friendly. Now that I'm moving, I'll be able to get DSL in my new place. WHO HOOOO! We'll see if I can keep up... :cool:

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

5. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

At the moment I'm using Copper.net - don't know if they are in your area or not. They're not perfect- it's not unlimited hours, but t's 9.95/month for 200 hours- which is enough for most people.

Cait

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

allvantage.com -- $7.95 a month.

Tracy

7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

For lots of choices go to www.freedomlist.com

Now as far as me. Right now I am using www.lzy.net for $6.75 per month for 300 hours on worldcom network. Worldcom (uunet) and level3 networks do best for me. Just those tend to be the most expensive networks so not usually offered by lowend isps. Anyways lzy.net is working great for me the last few months and I will stay with them until they either raise price or service becomes unreliable. It happens, smaller isps not only come and go, but their service can be really good for year or two then tank. By way, no required extra software with lzy.net. You just put settings in dialer software already included in your operating system (windows, linux, beos, etc) and if you use an email client (outlook, bat, calipso, sylpheed, etc) just adjust settings in it also.

Might add, these folk seem to answer email enquiries quickly also.

8. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Might point out also that unless its somebody right in your area using same dialup numbers, there can also be widely differring experiences with same isp depending on region.

I tried both above isps. Copper.net only offered qwest number in my area. It was not a pleasant experience for me. Left me without service a week at a time forcing me to stretch free 10 hour from Juno to get by until they fixed problem on their end. Only thing I can say was they didnt make it horrible to cancel.

Allvantage was better for me than copper.net, but it also had problems. Only offered one number for me and it was on some network that was vastly oversold, so frequent drops and took more than one try to get connected. Allvantage is super easy to cancel. If only they had offered a better network for me to dial into, think I could have liked them.

9. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

Before I got my DSL connection, I was using BlueFrog for my dial up. I was very happy with Blue frog but needed broadband speed for downloads. It was only $5.99 a month when I was with them. Since then they went national and I believe it's $9.99 a month. What was nice with them was you buy 5 months at a time. The first time I had to use a credit card, after that you can pay with a check or MO. I think thier link is;

www.bluefrog.biz

10. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

People PC:

http://www.peoplepc.com/

They are now $5.47/month.

I used them for about 4 1/2 years until I went with cable modem. They were reliable, and they are available pretty much everywhere in the US. Check out the web site, you will be glad you did.

11. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    www.usadatanet.com offers under 10 per month and has a super long distance phone service also, $1.50 for any long distance call with unlimited time, no monthly fees, ect.

12. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You have a choice????? Wow.

I use my phone company.

Few years ago there were 3 providers that were not long distance. One (mine) sold out to another. Then my phone company started it's own IP service, and raised the price to any other provider that they could not compete. One (mine again) sold out to the phone co, and the other just left.

Each time, service got worse, price went up. I believe I pay $24 a month, and get about 38k connection.

There is no other dialup option where I live.

My phone company has been privatly owned since the '40s I believe, & they are about the worst utility I deal with ever.

--->Paul

13. designer

designer Well-Known Member

I had a local company but earthlink bought them out and dropped 2 of the local numbers thus loading up the remaining one so you got lots of busy signals. I have Lifeline communications now. They give 10% of my bill to a charity I choose. Good service. AOL doesn't have local numbers here, I wouldn't use them if they did though. Make sure you get a local number or you'll have long distance charges each time you log on.

14. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

People PC has many more local numbers than AOL. Check them out.

http://www.peoplepc.com/

15. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

www.surfbest.net

since we went back to surfbest there virus protection has caught all virus sent to my e-mail. I lkie the way you can go see the suspect message in a quarantened area.

It's $14.49 a month unlimited dial-up. :D

16. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, I can't believe all the rural people who have a choice either! We have just our local company since none of the others offer a local number. I would give an arm for DSL or cable; but it'll never make it up here on the mountain! Heck, we just dial-up service 4 years ago around here...LOL! :)

17. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I use dial up with the local phone companies wherever I am at and get good connection at reasonable cost.

18. sage

sage On a City lot for now

Hey,

Thanks for all the replies. I will check them out.

Dial-up has been hard for me to adjust to. I had wireless in Wyoming it was great. Dial-up is sooo slow! :waa:

Guess I'll have to adjust.

Thanks again,

sage

19. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

I use acces4less.net. 5.95 a month, unlimited, nationwide.

mel-

20. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

i just changed to peoplepc... $5.95 for the first 3 months and then it is 10.95 after that..

i had my aol acct for 9 yrs.. and let it go..i still have my free aol messenger to talk to the couple of people i know there.. but other than that, I dont think I will miss it.

the peoplepc has had better connection speed and i havent had any proplems with connections.

Lynn in Texas