Homesteading Forum banner

Dial gauge or weighted canner?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Lannie 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone! I'm looking into buying a pressure canner, and I'm not sure if I should get one with a dial gauge or a weighted gauge. I live at 7,500 feet elevation (right now- probably won't be here long term) and I'm told that dial gauge canners are better for high altitudes since they are more adjustable. However, they seem like more of a pain since they need to be watched more closely and they need to have the gauge checked yearly. On the other hand, it sounds as if they are quieter and don't act as they are on the verge of exploding like the weighted ones. What has everyone's experience been with pressure canners? I would probably be getting a Presto or a Mirro, if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance!

G
#3 ·
We have one of each but we like the dial guage better. After once you know what you are doing it is no problem. The higher the heat the more pressure. We found out that once the guage reaches the recommended pressure it is just a matter of reducing the heat until it stabilizes at the recommended pressure. The majority of the time our heat is turned way down low for the recommended time period. It hasn't blowed up on us yet. I'm not sure how you operate a weighted guage, how do you know if you need to increase of decrease the heat?

#4 ·
r.h. With the weighted thingie you adjust the heat by how fast the thing is jigglig. It is supposed to jiggle just a few time a minute, but until you reach that adjustment sometime it about dances off the lid! I live at 5600 ft and use both types. The weighted gauge has 3 different hole for 5#, 10#, and 15# pressure - my altitude says 12# but I use it anyway, just let it jiggle a little faster.

#5 ·
We're not at elevation so we don't have that challenge. We use an all american I think it's called. It has a weight and a gauge. Just set it so the weight is jiggling...you can check it with gauge. It also has a metal to metal seal with lots of bolts no rubber to go bad. We like it.

Eric

#6 ·
the big presto models habe a jigg and a gauge. I have an old national that has just a gauge and a safty petcock, but it doesnt steam at all when you cook with it, you gave to ride the dial.
i got a small 2 Qt one at wal mart thats nice, it never over pressures, the way its made you can turn the heat all the way up and let it go, and the vent on top keeps it at 15lb..
but for canning I would go with both on the canner, just to play it safe. if your canning meat it may jiggle at 10, but you want 12 or 15 pounds going... ect.

#8 ·
I have an old Presto that has both a weight and a gauge. The weight is supposed to be a 15 pound one. When the gauge reaches 15 pounds, the weight doesn't move a bit. Even when it's gone over (16 or 17 pounds), the weight still doesn't move. Does that mean it's broke? :confused:

I just watch the gauge and ignore the weight... I think it's safer that way, at least with MY canner!

~Lannie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.