Diabetes breakthrough

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by deaconjim, Dec 15, 2006.

1. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

Toronto scientists cure disease in mice
    Tom Blackwell, National Post
    Published: Friday, December 15, 2006

In a discovery that has stunned even those behind it, scientists at a Toronto hospital say they have proof the body's nervous system helps trigger diabetes, opening the door to a potential near-cure of the disease that affects millions of Canadians.

Diabetic mice became healthy virtually overnight after researchers injected a substance to counteract the effect of malfunctioning pain neurons in the pancreas.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=a042812e-492c-4f07-8245-8a598ab5d1bf&k=63970

This is exciting news!

2. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

This is fantasitic news! How exciting!

3. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

May it be so. What a difference it would make in so many lives.

4. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I like the sounds of this. Simple. Most great ideas are simple, it seems.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Absolutely fascinating!

6. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

It would be wonderful if they found a cure. I hate being diabetic and wearing a pump day and night. I guess it is better than taking 6 or more shots a day so I should just be thankful.

7. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Great! :) I'll forward this to my Mom! :)

Kat

8. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I forwarded the article url to my family that has it...
    it would be great if it works out true.

Angie

9. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

Having lost one wife to diabetes, and being married to another with sugar problems, you can imagine how I feel about this. As far as I'm concerned, this research needs to be fast tracked.

10. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

what kind of pump you have? my son has the Animas IR 1250 with the loaded food database etcetc.

11. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

lost my mom. I agree.

Cindyc.

12. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I'm going to throw some cogs in the wheel.

#1- I think this is great news for type 1 diabetes. There is no cure for that and it would be wonderful if type 1 diabetics didn't have to depend on insulin shots and count on organ damage for the rest of their lives.

#2- I'm skeptical about this as a treatment for type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes CAN be kept under complete control with diet, exercise, and supplements. I fear if people decided an occasional shot could be depended on to "cure" their diabetes, they would /resume/keep on with their bad dietary habits and in the long run might become worse off health-wise

#3- The study is being done in Canada. The FDA is not likely to recognise the study, and furthermore, the pharmaceutical giants in this country aren't likely to allow such studies to take place here.

13. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Lady Cat. Your concern about Type 2 diabetics looking for an easy out may be unfounded. The injection is (as I understand it) directly into the "islets of Langerhans" in the pancreas. There would need to be some surgical access or, at least, a laparoscopic access. Also, for those with Type 1, I doubt that this EVER becomes available for anyone other than the very young. Why? For a type 1 diabetic, the islets of langerhans have long since died and are incapable of producing insulin. There is nothing in the article that remotely suggests that a pepper injection could miraculously bring dead tissue back to life. I am afraid that your evaluation of the interests of the drug companies may be proved all too true. DH's diabetic supplies and complications cost several thousands of dollars/year. Multiply that by the millions of type 1 diabetics and the lost revenue to the diabetic industry would be staggering. It is fun for DH to dream about, though. No more finger sticks, no more insulin reactions, no more panicky sweats, no more diabetic retinopathy.

14. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

One possibility is, IF it becomes a viable treatment in Canada, many people may be able to go to Canada to get the shot.

15. dragonfly1113

My pump is a Medtronic Minimed Paradigm 516 ( its 5 something)
    It communicates with my glucose meter. I put in the amount of carbs and it tells me how much insulin I need based on my rates and active insulin already in my body. I want one of those new glucose monitors that connects to your body (like the pump, i guess) and it automatically tests your blood sugar. It alerts you if you go high or low. That would be so cool. Someone told me it costs $1000 and its new so ins. companies dont want to pay for it. Well see how it does for a while.

What is the loaded food database you were talking about?

16. dragonfly1113

17. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

It has over five thousand preprogrammed food items including all the major restaurants. If we swing through burger king he can order and then hit a button and it will list all the menu items there and he can choose say BK fries,whopper and it will automatically bolus the correct amount of insulin per carb that we preprogrammed. Like he gets on unit for 10gs of carbs if you get the same less or more it will be preprogrammed for your settings.

It has really made it easier not having to guess at carbs. It also has stuff like youd cook at home in it.

You can also load it to a pda if you have one so you could use it as well with your pump it just wont be in the pump itself
    its called calorie king

The glucometer you speak of is pretty nifty but liek the glcowatch it isnt 100 percent accurate. They recommend you double check with a regular meter. So why have it?

We have a gluco watch. You know it is worn like a regular watch. It has a pad that is worn under it on the skin and it works off the moisute you produce and you set the alarm to go off if he exceeds or goes under his limit we put in it. Its good for when he is riding a bike playing basketball etc. But isnt accurate enough to use alone. Just a tool to keep you aware that youre between the upper and lower ranges you preprogram

this is a wonderful site with lots of info. if you dont already then you should go there
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/index.php
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/index_cwd.htm
    http://www.animascorp.com/products/pr_insulinpump_IR1250Spec.shtml

18. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Once again - SOME people can keep Type 2 Diabetes under control with diet, exercise, and supplements.

My husband is not one of them. He got down to 135 pounds trying to control it that way, and he's 6'1" tall. He was emaciated and still losing ground, so please realize that your statement does NOT apply to everyone. He was forced to go onto minimal medication to bring down his sugar levels, but he DID have to do so.

Also, our doctor has told us that diabetes is a progressive disease, no matter how well you do. So what may be working for a while, may not work a decade later.

19. Terri

Ladycat, I weigh 145 pounds, and I have type 2 diabetes.

20. Terri

Dragonfly, ketones are produced when your blood sugar is very MUCH too high! So far, you have been able to hold your blood sugar more steady than that.