Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 4 young goats (two are a year, the other two are 5 months old) scouring for no apparent reason, and it's started sometime between morning milkings and PM chores... Never had bacterial scours before, so I"m a little skeptical that this is bacterial. I did just get a new bale of hay, 2nd cutting and it's just chock full of alfalfa this time, wheras their last bale was quite different composition. Mayhaps that's the problem here?

Anywho, I'm gonna treat with Kaolin, but if that doesn't work I'm gonna go to the dimethox. I just don't know the dosage for goats older than babies! Wish I had some probiotics on hand.. :(

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
dona you can give them yogurt as probios substitute too. do you have fortefid b complex? works great for dietary diarrhea.
dimethox is 1cc per 10 pound. i doubt you will get it in the yearling though.
i would not give kaolin yet, but let the goats clean them out.

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
I use 1cc per 10lbs for 5 days for treatment, for prevention 1cc per 10lbs on day one, and half that the following 4 days.....They do sound a bit old for it to be cocci, especially if they are all scouring at once and they are different ages...I would probably think the richer hay as well....

·
Premium Member
15,785 Posts
I gave my new goat a course of sulfa (Di-meth). He acted like I got it down the wrong pipe and would twist his neck and make faces. I started mixing it with a little sugar and put some probiotics on the end of the syringe. That seemed to help but he still didn't like it.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got about 15cc kaolin down everybody. Now we'll just see if that takes care of it. Despite it saying it takes several treatments, I've always seen improvement after one, so hopefully tomorrow after I do some 'butt watching' I'll see improvement.

Actually, I find drenching to be fairly easy, no matter the size with my milkstand and drenching syringe. Got all the kaolin down everybody without missing a drop. :)

gee, 1cc/10lb is a hefty dose! Thank goodness everyone afflicted is a mini, so the dosages shouldn't be above 4cc. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts