Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
I'm glad to see that you trust the Lord to use this situation for good. I was laid off from my job in March, after only 6 months with the company. Since then, we've moved to a bigger place, I've found the best job I've ever had, and we're buying a new beautiful new home. We serve an awesome God, and trusting him is always the right thing to do. Prepare yourselves for blessings.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I'll be praying the your husband finds something even better very soon.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, you guys. It's a really long story, but dh has been out of work or way under-employed for 7 years. I was really hoping it was all *over*, kwim? But, I know God knows what He's doing. Thanks for any and all prayers!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Don't know if this will help but thought i would share it in hopes that it will. I worked for the same company for 25 years and was laid off when they sold the company. Moved from one job to another for a couple of years and half way into building our new house was laid off again. the timing couldn't have been better. Gave me time to finish the house and just as we got it finished and my unemployment was running out got a call offering me a position. The timing just dumbfounded me. Worry gives you something to do but doesn't ackomplish anything. Remember, it doesn't matter if your going through the best time of your life or the worst - this too shall pass.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Keep praying!!!!!!!

I was in my career for years. After 17 yrs, I made it up to Natl Sales Manager, my second to last goal. Here I was, a big time hot shot, making huge money, traveling the country.

After 90 days of my new almighty title, I was fired.

It killed me. I had worked all my life to get there and after 90 days it was all gone.

After sitting at home for 3 days in tears and depression, I made a trip to our local feed mill. Got into a conversation about work, and guess what? They were looking for a salesman.

I took the job to support my family, but my ego was bothering me. From flying first class everywhere to driving around a 5 county area.

That was 1 yr ago, and I can not tell you how happy my life is now, once I decided to let my ego go. I am home each night, getting to know my family again, and doing hobbies I enjoy. This is a commission job, so the income is coming up and will continue to get better.

I share this as a story of not giving up home or prayer. God will guide you to where you will be happy.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
my dh was laid off about 5 weeks ago too. At first I was really panicking but I just told myself that God has a plan and I have to trust in him. I know something will come up. We've been working for 3 years adding on to our house. The only things left are the bathroom and the siding and we've just put them on hold till something comes up. We'll be ok on unemployment for awhile but it is very tight. I'm thankful that I'm well stocked. Our church family has been simply amazing too. We have a Wednesday night supper every week and we always go. When dh got laid off I called and cancelled our reservation. Its really not that expensive but it was more than I felt I could spare out of the budget since there's basically no % left after bills. Well the next Sunday everyone found out he was laid off..the next day the secretary called me and told me that there was an anonymous gift and that our suppers were paid for until he goes back to work. I tell you it just made me cry! And there have been other things too....one couple brought us a box of apples from when they went to the mountains, collard greens from someone else. 4 deer already. So God is providing what we need and I am SO grateful! So hang in there and if you want to talk feel free to pm.

·
Registered
311 Posts
After 12/05 I'll be in the same boat. It gives me tremendous peace knowing it will take our future out of my hands, & put it in Gods hands. That, is a good place to be.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just wanted to let you know how familliar your story was to me. I learned the same lesson and thank goodness we learned it early enough to still enjoy some of our life. I hope and pray I NEVER take my job that serious again.

Keep praying!!!!!!!

I was in my career for years. After 17 yrs, I made it up to Natl Sales Manager, my second to last goal. Here I was, a big time hot shot, making huge money, traveling the country.

After 90 days of my new almighty title, I was fired.

It killed me. I had worked all my life to get there and after 90 days it was all gone.

After sitting at home for 3 days in tears and depression, I made a trip to our local feed mill. Got into a conversation about work, and guess what? They were looking for a salesman.

I took the job to support my family, but my ego was bothering me. From flying first class everywhere to driving around a 5 county area.

That was 1 yr ago, and I can not tell you how happy my life is now, once I decided to let my ego go. I am home each night, getting to know my family again, and doing hobbies I enjoy. This is a commission job, so the income is coming up and will continue to get better.

I share this as a story of not giving up home or prayer. God will guide you to where you will be happy.

·
tryna be His
2,199 Posts
I would try any way you can to give more to your local assembly. Read Haggai chapter 1.
When we fail to take care of God's house, God will shut the windows of Heaven. Therefore, when we DO care for the Lord's house, He cannot go back on His Word, He'll take care of us! IT's true.
MichelleIL

·
Registered
392 Posts
Nellie I'm so sorry :( It must be so hard to be in your situation with 9 kids :(
*hugs* My fingers are crossed for your husband to find work soon. :)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the prayers and the comforting comments. I really appreciate them.

Dh went to Ace Hardware today where he's been doing consulting work for on and off. I'm not sure how many hours he can get, but it'll be some.

You know what? A couple of weeks ago, several people stopped by one day and brought us 370lbs of produce and some canned goods. The next day someone gave us a fat, useless goat not-quite-a-weather (missed one, lol) and my dd (MissMenagerie) butchered it herself. We got 65lbs of meat from it! Last week some friends came over and brought a *mountain* of day-old bread, it was almost all whole wheat, too! Another friend gave us two boxes of apples and pears and pumpkins. I already have 30 bags of pumpkin puree in the freezer.

I totally know that God can and will take care of us. He's done it for the last 7 years, and I know He can keep on doing it.

Dh is in a much better frame of mind this time around than he was last time. He's got stuff (projects, working) all planned out into next week already. I am so proud of him!

·
tryna be His
2,199 Posts
Mine didn't come off the way I wanted, I dont do emoticons...I meant it in a happy way a thankful way for the way God has provided....hope that clears it up.
Michelle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts