dh wants sheep im clueless

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by myheaven, Jun 17, 2006.

1. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

He wants sheep for meat. I have never raised one or been near one. HELP!!!! Ill be the one taking care of it. Please point me to useful on line reading
    (dont have extra cash for a new book library doesnt have a book on sheep).
    I dont know when he will suprise me with one. its a 911 for sheep 411. Thank you all. Beth

2. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

I found the storey line of books to be helpfull with all sorts of Farm related things.... Meanwhile there is a Maryland Small ruminants page that is most helpfull, wioth lots of links--
    me-- I am getting my foundation barbados Blackbellies this weekend-- I leave this evening to pick them up-- try www.critterhaven.biz there are links to all kinds of meat sheep raising info on that site-- notice, it is "DOT BIZ" and not "dot com"

tell him to get hair sheep-- you won't have the work or expense of tail docking or shearing

3. myheaven

thank you both Ill be busy reading for a while.
    I have alot of the storey books. I just dont have the extra 15 for the book at this second.

4. Muskrat

Muskrat Well-Known Member

He HAS tasted mutton, hasn't he? It isn't just beef in winter clothing.

My point is that I wouldn't raise sheep as my primary meat animal and I LIKE mutton.

5. myheaven

no this will not be our primeary meat. I raise rabbit chicken and turkey for our main sorce of meat. I will be addis pigs this year. Mutton will be the once in a while deal.
    What dose it taste like? Is it nasty lol.

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

To call LAMB "mutton" is doing it a great disservice. Why not go and purchase a nice leg of lamb and cook it to see whether you like it first. It is best cooked to the PINK stage. Lamb is my wife's and mine favorite "special meal". We love it.