DH thinks we're dysfunctional

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paula, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

We were laying flooring again today, working at what seems a snail's pace towards moving. The thought crossed my mind that I'd post here later about it. Then the thought crossed my mind that maybe that was a little dysfunctional, telling all my "computer friends" :cowboy: what I did today.
    I asked dh what he thought and of course he said yeah, dysfunctional.
    I thought about it and realized that most of the stuff we discuss here nobody else really cares about, so who're we supposed to talk to about it? I explained it to him from that angle and he just kinda grunted.
    I know he thinks I spend too much time here, and if I wanted to talk about farming stuff I could just talk to him :rolleyes: .
    He's eyeing me now btw, and reminding me (repeatedly) that my tea is ready so I'll get off here :frypan: .
    So, do y'all think we HT'ers are dysfunctional?
    Edited to add: Do your families think we are? Sorry, had to get off in a hurry, had to go get my tea, lol.

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Dysfunctional and Cute

[​IMG]

big rockpile

3. elliemaeg

elliemaeg Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't realize homesteading questions had such interesting questions and pictures. Why---I think I might come here more often.

4. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Oh, Paula, EVERYONE is dysfunctional! (But Big Rockpile especially... ;) J/K, Rocky!)

Seriously, we all have our pathologies (even your DH). "Normal" is a setting on the clothes dryer, and even that doesn't really work all that well. I put a sticker on my snowboard that says, "Normal People Worry Me."

Perfection died on the cross and rose on the third day. The rest of us, well, we just muddle along and do the best we can.

In the meantime, if you think you're spending too much time online, download a shareware or freeware program that you (or DH) can program to either shut down after "X" amount of time, or will give you a pop-up reminder when you've been on for "X" time.

Big Rockpile has the right idea. ;) It's okay to be goofy.

Pony!

5. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

that reeds thees bs..hehe :-}

6. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

We are proud to go to dis function and dat function. So I guess we are a dis functional family too. :shrug:

7. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Dave...I'll take dat function and raise ya one! lol

8. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Definately my dh - he has Aspergers. Come to think of it, that's probably what's behind the whole issue...

9. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

10. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I have caught myself (on many occasions) saying "My friends on the homesteading forum"........ and I was speaking of folks I'd never met. Well, as the years go by, guess what? I've actually met a lot of them! We've gotten together for lunch, or to buy/sell/trade critters, or help each other with projects, or met up at fiber festivals or the county fair, or just exchanged phone numbers and chatted when we had a few minutes. I have nothing in common with the rest of the people in my life, so I feel truly blessed with the friends I've made here. Dysfunctional? Some might say so, but I say only in the best possible way!

edited to add ~ I lived in an apartment in a big city, working two jobs, while I learned about homesteading from the Countryside board several years ago. I will always be greatful for the people who shared their experiences back then. And I get to meet a fella this weekend, who I've "known" online for 8 years!!

11. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Laying flooring? Why wou want to do that? You KNOW that if you just fix him a lovely meal he will lay it for you, and he will feel really good about himself".

That is why I come here: for people who do NOT think I am dysfunctional! Most of my life folks have thought I was down right STRANGE because I do not have people do everything FOR me!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Enjoy the new floor! You deserve in with every ache in your back! :p

12. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I think we should refer to HT as Our Secret Society. For some reason other folks can understand Freemason meetings more easily than what we do here. If this is disfunctional, then so be it. I think it is more of a sanity saver.

13. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

It's the kind of world we're in. My mother used to pick up the phone and talk all day to friends while taking care of 4 kids and a house. Once, the phone wouldn't work and the repairman said it was the first phone he had ever seen that was just plain worn out.
    We have the net to stay in touch. Much of out movement is at the whim of employers, so staying in your home town is harder to do. I know people who have stayed in their home town and don't know how to use the net. We need to be in some kind of neighborhood, even if it is the net.
    The last comment is, "What the heck is functional?"