Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else with a SO who is a TERRIBLE shopper?? We went shopping today, it was for our trip to stock up on things that were getting low...We ended up spending twice as much as I normally do!!

Then while the baby was sleeping and I was putting away all the stuff--he decided he needed to go to town for a few things (he's on vacation for two weeks) that we needed for our projects!! He's been gone three hours, called five times, call my dd twice and now is coming home with a new (BIGGER, 'better') TV!!! He just purchased a new one last month and he has now sold that one to my dd (hers is twenty two yrs. old) and proceeded to purchase another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So NO more shopping for him...:lookout:

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Oh my gosh, I don't blame you!

Lance would love to have a new TV - I'm still trying to put him off for another year (or so...)!

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Yep...my hubby is the same, I can relate totally. He never looks at the price tags on anything, never compares anything, never looks for the sale...nothing. Pays full price on everything he buys. Doesn't think twice about any purchase. Thank goodness he hates shopping or we would be in big trouble...but when he does go in a store, look out! Half the problem is he doesn't wear his glasses and he can't see anything. DA! I swear every project he works on, I could have gotten the supplies needed for half the price. oh well...I still love him :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
OK, I admit it, I am a lousy shopper for household stuff. When I am sent to the store, I am given an exact list of what to buy.

My wife can buy more for less than anyone I know (no offence to others here).

When it comes to stuff for the farm, here the roles reverse. Wife would buy new as it was needed where I will fix, build my own, or come up with plan C before buying new.

We match each othe VERY well.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dh is great at getting things on sale/discounted/using coupons---but the poor man is a sale junkie... IF it's on sale and you need it --then two is better than one!

As bad as I hate tv, he LOVES it! What can I say??

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Anyone else with a SO who is a TERRIBLE shopper?? We went shopping today, it was for our trip to stock up on things that were getting low...We ended up spending twice as much as I normally do!!

Then while the baby was sleeping and I was putting away all the stuff--he decided he needed to go to town for a few things (he's on vacation for two weeks) that we needed for our projects!! He's been gone three hours, called five times, call my dd twice and now is coming home with a new (BIGGER, 'better') TV!!! He just purchased a new one last month and he has now sold that one to my dd (hers is twenty two yrs. old) and proceeded to purchase another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So NO more shopping for him...:lookout:
I didn't know we were married :p Oh my wife hates taking me shopping.I just tell her things keep falling into the Cart :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Dallas
13,885 Posts
Anyone else with a SO who is a TERRIBLE shopper?? :
Thats why I don't like grocery shopping with my wife. I make a list based on what we need and buy whats on it, she goes up and down each aisle and impulse buys, we usually spend over double for groceries if she shops. Since I get home from work before her, I try to have all the shopping done before she gets home.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Roger is a fantastic shopper.

He comparison shops all the time. If we're thinking of buying anything, he is on the Internet finding the cheapest price and shipping. He carries a calculator to the grocery store.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I'm an inveterate coupon shopper, but I am very good at checking unit costs. So I do bring home some stuff we wouldn't necessarily otherwise buy, but not a lot, and it does mean some interesting experimenting in the kitchen. DH really likes deli meats and cheeses, but he watches for sales. His parents, mother especially, were extremely frugal. Only store brands or generics; used 15-watt light bulbs; she made their dogfood from scraps and chicken backs he brought from the butcher shop where he worked, and pressure canned it! He still feels guilty that she did all that to build up a cushion that became an "inheritance" (that was held over his head, but that's another story.) He misses her, and still feels guilty that she wouldn't indulge herself, so I DON"T discourage him from getting his treats, just to spread out how much. He will buy a spare tool or garment when he can't find something, rather than clean out his trunk or "workshop", and that bugs me!! Sue

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My ds took a class in school about sales etc. He learned about impulse buying and store layout. SO when we would go shopping if I reached toward something on my list he would sidle up and say "IMPULSE" It was so funny, I couldn't even shop for laughing. And I also stayed with my list. kids.......

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
I went riding around here with my Son and his FIL the other day.Its good thing I didn't have money.Went to the Bulk food Store,number of things in there I wanted.Then we went to the Bakery :Bawling: Just the smell put 50 pounds on me,I had never been in there,lots and lots of SUGAR,but man it looked good.

big rockpile

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
DH is much more of an impulse shopper than I am. He's very good about shopping sales and all, but a lot of the stuff he buys on sale is stuff I wouldn't have bought had I gone shopping alone. The problem is, I HATE grocery shopping so we usually go together.

·
Perpetually curious!
2,749 Posts
Yep...my hubby is the same, I can relate totally. He never looks at the price tags on anything, never compares anything, never looks for the sale...nothing. Pays full price on everything he buys. Doesn't think twice about any purchase. Thank goodness he hates shopping or we would be in big trouble...but when he does go in a store, look out!
Change the word to Wife and this describes mine perfectly!!! She is the worst shopper I know and hates it. I was raised learning how to bargain shop so it's second nature to me. I've been doing ALL the shopping in our household since before we were married. She does like to tag along but that's just to talk and keep me company. She'll push the cart and that's it. :p But we suit each other perfectly and I love her dearly :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I think we are married to the same guy! My DH spends money like its going out of style. Just the other day we went from 2 tractors to 3...and we only have about 5 acres that cleared and we don't have a farm! UGH!!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
good greif it's sounds like my dad. I remember when I was about 10 or so and I went shopping with my mom and picked out a cereal for myself. When I was done with that box I told my mom I'd like to have the same one again. Well somehow my dads ears picked this up and he came home from work one day. He had stopped at one of those mega supply place and picked up a BOX of the cereal I liked. It had 25 boxes of the same cereal in it.:grit: I asked mom "do I have to eat all that????" luckily there was a little old lady up the road that babysat her grandchildren and was more then happy to get a few boxes.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
These new generation TVs will be getting cheaper and cheaper the longer we stay in this recession. What I paid $1,050 for in July and that was on Sale with a $100 dollars off the regular price of $1,150~! And is now at $990. With out ANY sale going on~! And I would look for those TVs dropping even further maybe down to 800 or may even less for a 40 inch LCD Widescreen HD one.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
LOL! Thats funny, my dh insisted on shopping with me today to "keep me in line" (rolling eyes) I'm a great shopper, usually. I think he thought I was wasting money bcause I have been getting less for the same amount of money these days.....I think he was shocked at how high the prices are getting!

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I got in trouble after going to get a new knee strap for the knee board and came back to camp with both a new knee board and a new wake board as well as an extra prop for the boat .
for some reason Im not supposed to go the the boat supply alone anymore

1 - 20 of 21 Posts