DH is sick...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by pasotami, Jan 18, 2007.

1. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Sickness usually does not bother me but this time it really does...
    DH usually has the most cast iron stomach of anyone out there. He can eat things that everyone else considers to be spoiled or rotten. Last night and this morning he was fine, then the diarhhea set in, by the time he came home from work he is snowy white where he has olive skin, he is cold, cold to the touch (can you believe I do not own a thermometer), he threw up everything he had eaten all day, and he has been under blankets and down comforter with fireplace and heater running..... still cold to the touch. He states that he hurts all over really bad. I asked him if he had blurred vision or felt stiff in his neck but he says no... the only thing that is getting to him is the pain....
    Does food poisioning make you hurt like that? He usually never get the stomach bug when it goes around....
    I'm just not sure what to do for him. He insisted on taking Advil... not sure if that was a good thing or not.
    I just hope it is not a stomach bug - I catch everything that he bring home.... ugh...

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ah, the double ended plague... had that a few weeks ago. Nasty stuff.

3. TNnative

TNnative Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's not the flu, with the hurting all over? I've had food poisoning before, so bad that it was 2 years before I could even think about a pizza w/o getting sick, but I don't remember aching.

4. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

I hear there's a nasty stomach bug flitting around the country... poor guy.
    If you're worried, tho, a dr. visit can put your mind at ease (and maybe get him some mighty antibiotics to make him feel better quicker)

5. DonnaKay

DonnaKay Well-Known Member

Food poisoning can make you feel like your dying. But I wouldn't think he would be hurting all over. Does he mean all over as in his whole abdomen or all over like legs, arm...muscles? If it's his stomach he really doesn't need to be taking advil..it's hard on your stomach. Make sure he's trying to get some kind of fluids down. Do you have a doctor or a nurse line you can call? Has anyone had anything like this at his worK? Is it something that's "going around?" I wouldn't play around with it. If this seems extreme for him I'd take him in, especially if he's not able to keep any fluids down.

donna

6. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

A lot of hospitals have "ask a nurse" 1-800 number. If you call them they can usually answer your questions.

I hope he feels better soon!

7. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

If it is the flu-and they can tell w/ blood tests, they have medication to lessen the symptons.. Call the hot line. I had the Hong Kong flu in 1968 (along w/ everyone in my family) I can remember the terrible feeling that I was gonna die....Even my hair :rolleyes: hurt if I touched the ends. I passed out everytime I stood up for two weeks. We had buckets beside each bed... My brother was in charge of emptying them....poor fellow....

8. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Hope hes feeling better. Sounds like the flu. Being sick sux.

Peace
    o ya make sure he gets lots of fluids so he doesnt get dehydrated n yourself had better wash yer hands a lot n not get too close in case hes contagious.

9. chickenmommy

chickenmommy nosey, but disinterested Supporter

I take four Advil every four hours every day of my life. Dr said to take Advil because it is coated so that it does it's dissolving in the intestines, saving a lot of stomach trouble. Just thought it may be some info you might be interested in. It will help with his fever though, I would think.

10. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Sounds exactly like what my DD15 had, she's just getting better actually, she threw up, looked like a ghost and was sooo cold she was running a low fever. She was achey all over the place actually the pain was traveling all over her body, she was having jabbing pains in her arms, legs, chest.. and her heart was skipping beats, yep this is a mean virus!!
    The doc told us to give her advil for the pain..
    hope he feels better soon!!!

11. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

We found that Pedialyte can be very helpful in restoring hydration. Used to use Gatorade, but on an oogy stomach, that can be harsh.

God bless your husband with good health!

Pony!

12. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

If you can find it sasafrass is great for the stomach. Also a cup of hot tea with peppermint in it. If you have peppermint candy that works in the tea, just don't sweeten it and put candy in also as it will be to sweet. Also if he gats sour tummy buttermilk if he likes it. Sure hope he feels better real soon. Sam Ps wash your hands more than usual and if you have any use hand sanitiser (sp) after you touch anything he has touched. Good luck Sam

13. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

sounds like flu to me. Food poisoning does not normally make you ache all over. Stomach cramps yes....terrible but not all over. The flu I had hit like that. I was fine int he morning but by that night I hurt so bad I could not reach for my drink on the nightstand. I was freezing too. I laid in the bed in my clothes (too cold to change) with a down comfortor, another comforter, and another blanket on top of those and was still so cold I was shaking and my teeth were chattering. Everyone else was fine. I din't have the diarhea or upset tummy but when dd got it she did and so did dh. It took 3 weeks before I felt good again. Hope he feels better soon. That stuff is NO fun.

14. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Wow, sounds really bad! Do you know if anyone else at his work is also sick? It may help you figure out if it's food poisoning or not (if they all ate the same food and then all got sick).

I hope he starts feeling better soon :(

/VM

15. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

How is he feeling today?

16. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

DS had it yesterday,has drank 5 bottles of gatorade.He feels well enough today to shower.

17. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the flu, dd, dw, and me had it. On the way back from Texas to Missouri no less, nasty day that was.

Give him lots of fluids, and whatever he an stand to eat once the vomiting slows down. Start with simple stuff like pretzels and saltine crackers, and water or 7-up and/or gatorrade.

18. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Recently i wasn't feeling well and lost my breakfast and i drank a cup of yogi ginger tea (added plenty of sugar) and my stomache was still tenative, but atleast stablized. I then made hte mistake of eating lunch, but again had a cup of that tea before i was sick and it settled it right down and i ate very light for a day after and was fine.

I found this tea in our "health" food/organic isle at the market. Yogi is the brand.

19. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Hope he feels better soon.Keep lots of liquids in him.

20. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

Doesn't advil cause kidney damage if taken over a long period of time? My dr. told me that Advil is to the kidneys what tylenol is to the liver.