DH is away and it has been great!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Corky, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

That sounded bad!
    I miss him verymuch. He will be back tomarrow (Fathers Day) but...

I have had to run the farm all by myself and I have done it! It feels great to know I can do it.
    I will admit that it takes all my waking hours. (Which start way, way too early) but I get it all done. :)
    I feed the house cats and dog, fix bottles and head to the barn and feed the barn cats,then the five alpacas. I mix feed for the little goats and get them all eating grain while I milk Molly. Toss a flake of hay to the donkey, alpacas and goats and then feed bottles to the little goats. head to the house and strain the milk and wash all milking stuff and the bottles. Get my shower and get ready for work. Check e-mail and then head out for the day.
    After work I make my barn rounds to check on everyone. Fill water tanks and turn them out to pasture then feed the chickens and gather eggs.
    I get something to eat then go work in the garden till it is time for evening chores.(when they decide to come back from the meadow). Feed everyone again and give any meds that need given.
    Come in and clean up and check e-mail again and browse the boards before crashing into bed to get up and start all over again.
    It has been fun!!!! :)
    A storm brought down one of my beautiful red bud trees. It fell partially in the road. This is a busy road that runs along the river.
    I was hoping the highway dept would come get it but it was still there when I got home from work yesterday so I got out my trusty bow saw and climbed a-straddle the dang thing and cut limbs and dragged them out of the road.
    DH will have to cut it up with the chain saw when he gets home but it is out of the road anyway.
    Not bad for a woman that will be 65 this Fall. :)

2. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

Corky, you mean you didn't NEED the sultan???????????? :eek: :banana02: Glad that you enjoyed yourself while the great one was gone....... :baby04: :baby04: :baby04:

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Yes I need him but I am managing without him for a while.

Oh yes! LaDonna, I need to warn you that I now have a killer dog that I will be bringing to the camp out. You better warn phenix. My cats run in fear!

Her name is Lele. pronounced LAY LEE.
    She is 9 weeks old and wieghts a whoppin two pounds!
    She is a snow white malteze. I never thought I would like one but she took one look at me and I was lost.

4. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Dang Corky, you're amazing! That's a tremendous amount of work for working off the farm too full time! I'm tipping my hat out of respect to you.

Oh I love Maltese dogs. Congratulations.

5. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Thanks Shepherd. :)
    I love My little Malteze too, most of the time, but I will admit, she is not my favorite person at 5:00 AM when she is chewing on my ears and nose saying "GET UP! GET UP! GET UP!' :grump: Right now she is a bit of fluff curled up on my lap. Aaaaawe :)
    As far as the chores.... I am sure glad it is Sunday! Critters are fed and milking is done. I have my coffee and all is right with the world.
    I am trying hard not to think about the rocks that need to be hauled to block the wild critter paths into my garden,,,, and speaking of the garden... what about all that bermuda and johnson grass that is creeping in from the road side.... Oh well... it will still be there later. Just more of it! :grump:
    Oh yeah! and the rest of the potatoes that need dug before it gets too hot!
    DRATS! :grump:

6. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

yay corky=my mom used to have a maltese, then she got a male, which got given to me, cause she hated him-i loved him, such a good little sport....you enjoy that little one and don't let her outside w/o a leash. not on your road!!

we can all do whatever we want-all we have to do is want it bad enough-so glad you kept up w/it all and proved it to yourself :) but it does get tiring w/o help, doesn't it.

happy father's day, sultan.

7. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

my hat is off to you Corky, 65 huh, I hope you can stay as strong and able til you are 95 :)
    my husband is gone too and I miss him terribly, got a tick under the left shoulder, can feel him but can not get him out, UGH.

8. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Way to go Corky!! I was wondering what was keeping you for posting ...you are truly amazing....not a single complaint about the heat or anything. The Sultan I am sure will be very proud of you also...if not just a little threatened.

Milt I don't know where you've been but I'm glad you're back to give your little harem girl a well earned break -- or atleast an hour or so to do nothing each day.

Hugs
    marlene

9. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Laura.... Don't worry. I am paper training her. She doesn't go out unless I am carrying her. I bought her a cat collar and a leash but the collar is still too big.
    Marlene... Milt is not home yet. He said he would be home today but I have no idea when. He never told me where they would be staying or left me a phone number or told me what time their plane gets into KC. :shrug:
    It's a good thing I didn't need to get in touch with him. :rolleyes:

I am taking it easy today. I weeded the garden some after chores and breakfast. Till the sun took over and it got too hot then I took another break and then went out and burned the trash and cut some saplings that were blocking my view when pulling out of the drive way.
    Taking another break now. May read a book while it is hot. I need to clean house a little better but it is ok for now.

10. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

you should be proud of yourself, corky! not many younger folks can keep up i bet. you sound like you are having a lot of fun- just hanging out doing homestead chores. it sounds crazy, but it's one of my favorite things to do. then when i go to work, i can feel like i really accomplished something.

11. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Oh lands Tabitha; go to a neighbor's and ask one of the women to pull that tick out!

I couldn't bear the thought of knowing I had one on me and couldn't get to it.

12. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

You just have a 24 hour window to get a tick off without fear of desease.

By the way the Sultan is home safe and sound. :)