Dh has loss his job

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Zipporah, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

:Bawling: It will go to Mexico in about two months. :flame: A few months ago a larger company purchased the plant.Dh had been weary from day one when they brought in a guy who could barely speak English and was having him train the guy.Work load was such though that they really needed some more help so this is why they said they were doing it. :flame: For those who pray please pray for dh to find another job ASAP.This is really bad.We've been living very tight trying to pay off some medical bills and now this. :Bawling: I don't know what we will do. Dh looked so sad last night it broke my heart to see him so discouraged. :Bawling:

2. Nellie

Nellie Well-Known Member

Zipporah, I am so sorry. It is very hard. My dh and I have been through this. It's rough, but God will see you through.

3. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

So you have two months to get ready... That's Great!

I had 2 days.

Now, get his resume up to date - NOW! Put it on Career builders, and Monster com. Also check the contract worker agencies in your area. I'm not talking necessarily day type labor, but there are companies that hire people for months or a year or more contract, or contract to direct hire... And you can get insurance thru some of these.

Look around and see what he really wants to do, then check out jobs in that area.

Good luck, and look forward!

Angie

4. Sassafrassa

Sassafrassa WorkerBee

Oh, I'm sorry! You will be in my thoughts. Keep your chin up, though! It will all work out, although when you are in the middle of a crisis, it doesn't seem like it. So many people are out of work from the manufacturing industry here in NC, many people I know are in fear of losing their jobs as well. Everything is also going overseas. :(

Will he qualify for unemployment benefits? Make sure he applies ASAP. Get his resume updated so that he can start looking for a new job right away. Would he qualify for retraining? Some states sponsor retraining programs at the local level through community colleges. That might be another option.

I don't know if you are in the position to need food stamps, but don't hesitate to do that either, if you need it. That is what these programs are for! There are also food banks that can help you out locally...check with your church or a local help organization like the Salvation Army.

Bless you, and good luck! :angel:

Sassa

5. Melissa

Melissa member

So sorry, hope he finds something soon. Tell him to put the word out to anyone he knows. I also think it is best to take a job doing something, even if it is not his dream job. Seems like employers like people who are already employed better than those who are not employed...

6. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

So sorry, prayers for all.

7. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I am so sorry and truly understand where you are coming from. My husband lost his job this summer and is just now getting back to work. Try to be there for him and build up his ego. This is so hard on a man. A fellow who is a hard worker is truly lost without a job to do. Come on here and rant to us when it gets to tough.

What I do suggest job hunt wise is to get a resume written up asap and get the word out that your Dh is in need of work. Tell him to apply to jobs that he has most of the qualifications asked for, not just ones where he has all. Often employers will be happy to find someone who is reliable and has a good work record that fits most of the bill. I read the the ads often contains a wish list of sorts for an ideal candidate and often some of those things are not as important to the job as others. I convinced Dh to apply for a bookkeeping job, he is not truly a bookkeepper but took some courses in it years ago, is great with figuring and has worked in finance. He hit it off great with the interviewer and that is the job he is starting next week.

Find out what kind of severance or unemployment benefits he is eligible for and how long they will last for so you can plan accorrdingly. Do you work. It might be a good idea to look for something even part-time yourself for a while because he may not be able to take somethign like that without losing some of his benefits. Now is a good time to get temp work in stores with the holidays coming.

If at all possible try to keep his medical benefits with COBRA. Dh considered dropping his and I convienced him not to. The bill was high and rough to pay, but we have managed to do it. Had we dropped it we weould have been in a pickle when I was rushed to the hospital via ambulance and had emergency surgery in late August. I also had multiple doctors visits before and after this and several tests. The bill for the hospital and ambulance alone was over $20,000. So the 4500. we have paid so far in COBRA seems like a bargain.

Good luck and God bless to you. I will pray for a resolution to your problems.

8. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Very sorry to hear it - lousy timing, huh? But you will weather it. Good advice here, especially the COBRA option for your health insurance and taking a job, even part-time, doing whatever. It IS a time of year when a lot of businesses are looking for seasonal help, and maybe that can help pull you through. I think working at something - anything - will help keep your husband's spirits up during this hard time.

Hugs and best wishes.

9. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Thanks
    He updated his resume' last night and is posting it today.
    Yes, but it's not enough to meet all our bills.At lest it's something.
    :Bawling: Never have tried so I don't know.I don't even know how one applies for them. We've always just ate what ever we could grow in the past when things like this happen.Now I'm breast feeding and our food stock has taken a beating.(loss everything in the freezer afew weeks back and we've been trying to pay bills and have ate alot off stock) Hopefully he'll find a job soon and we won't need help.I hope so.Pray he finds work soon.

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Yep,our Traitor Politicians selling us out to 'compete' with peasant labor.

Makes me very angry,and its only going to get worse.

Now Bush has decided we get to add the Russian peasants to the labor force.Yep,more job losses coming.

World economy just means world poverty for Us all,kiss the American middle class goodby.It was nice while it lasted.

BooBoo

11. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

Zip so sorry to hear about your dh loss of his job.
    As they say, "when God closes one door, He opens up another."
    Maybe there is a better job down the line for him.
    Your in my thoughts and prayers!
    We know the feeling. My DH was out of work for the summer, and got back in Sept. The unemployment check is something. You can also have taxes taken out of it too, which we did so we were ahead when tax time came around the taxes were already paid on it.

12. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Zipporah, I am so sorry, but as many have pointed out, this is an opportunity! Great advice from everyone!

DH was fired quite unexpectedly at the end of August. He's been back at work since mid-October, and it definitely proved to be a blessing in so many ways!

What we learned from the job loss situation is that God has His eye on the sparrow, and He knows what you need and has already met that need for you. Lean on Him, trust in His goodness.

In the meantime, remember that even though His eye is on the sparrow, He doesn't toss the worms into the nest. Check your stocks (I refer to food, finances, and other assets), assess your situation. Now is a good time to consider where you are, where you want to be, and how you're going to get there.

God be with you through this adventure!

Pony!

13. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

If you don't qualify for the food stamps you probably will for WIC, you say you are breastfeeding so you have at least one child under six. That will give you some basics for getting nouirshment to your little ones. Sometimes they push the formula even if you don't use it, take it and donate it to a food pantry. Look into those now and see what you are eligible to there as well. Dh and I did not get to that point, but I was going to check into it had this job not come through.

See where you can cut back on your monthly bills. An easy thing to cut back of get rid of is cable or satellite service. Keep the internet for job listings. Don't forget to check the local paper for jobs. He can do this at the library for free and some papers also provide their classifieds on-line. Both Dh and I found our new jobs through the newspaper and mine is even at the local paper. That might be something to look into. Home delivery people who are reliable are always sought after, call your paper and see if they need anyone. Sometimes you can make several hundred dollars a week if it is a big route.

Job fairs are also good places to gather information and some will give you on the spot interviews.

14. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. Believe me when I say it's good you got two month's notice. You've gotten really sound advice already and it sounds like you and your DH are taking action sooner rather than later. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

/VM

15. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I'm praying for you and your husband!

Katrina

16. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this -
    I will say a prayer for your family.

In the next 2 months, make everyone that you know aware that he is looking for a job - very few jobs are found through the newspaper - most jobs are found through friends/family/acquaintances.

TRY not to worry!!!

17. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a friend who was downsized unexpectedly a few years ago. He says in retrospect that he wishes he had known that he'd find something else (which of course he did) and then he could have saved all those months of worry. Moral to this story: seize this opportunity. Some people are looking for work after being fired for not performing as expected, but that's not your bubby's case. He's a victim of NAFTA and outsourcing. This is NOT a reflection on him, and you should be sure to remind him of that. Men often times have a great deal of their opinion of self-worth wrapped up in what they do for work. I know he'll be feeling down in the dumps over this, and while that's completely understandable, it won't get him hired. Think of this as a new door opening.......Smiling in spite of adversity goes a long, long way.

18. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

so sorry- - I will be thinking good thoughts and sending them your way!

19. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

I'm praying for you!

20. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Sorry you hav eto go through this. Hopesully 2 months will be enough time to find something permenant