Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have a clue as to what to do with it. :shrug:
Im not scared to can it if I knew what to do.
How do you even eat the stuff?

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
You are so fortunate!

Make a homemade vanilla pudding (not storebought). While that is chilling make a rhubarb sauce. Just wash, trim, string and dice the rhubard. Put it in a pot with just a little water* and sugar to taste. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat until very tender.

Serve over the pudding. Just so good!

Some people like a grating of nutmeg added to rhubarb.

Stef

and the custard pie is great, too

* the amount of water depends on how much rhubarb you're cooking, but as a general rule about 1/3 scant cup of water to 1 full cup of diced rhubarb

if it's too runny, you could thicken it with a slurry* of cornstarch

(*1 tablespoon cornstarch stirred with 1/4 cup cold water)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I dont have any strawberries and I need to preserve these soon. They are getting limp. Its totally hot!
Can I freeze them? HOW?
Can them? HOW?
LOL, sorry, this is my first season of putting by and DH keeps getting my things we have never eaten much less preserved. I canned 27 quarts of cherries and well, thats all Ive dont in jars. I freeze a lot.
Im waiting on apples, and cucumbers.
Anyway, how do I get these huge stalks ready and put away?

·
Registered
185 Posts
strawberry rhubarb upside down cake, in a cast iron pan, mmmmmm

strawberry rubharb sauce on vanilla ice-cream, mmmmmm

raw ruhbarb, take a stick and a dish of sugar, dip the cut end in the sugar and take a bite, keep dipping each new end in the sugar, mmmmmm.

raw ruhbarb, the kids eat about an 8" piece when they are outside, the pucker faces are priceless, but they like it. When I was young, same thing, raw all the time. Just not the leaves, very bad for you and pets.

freeze, cut it into 1" pieces, put them into a freezer bag and throw it in. When its time to use them, put them in a pot with a little water and simmer until soft.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Rhubarb Cookies
Ingredients:

1 cup butter
1 ½ cups brown sugar
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups rhubarb
¾ cup coconut

Frosting:

3 oz. cream cheese
1 T. butter, softened
3 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cup confectionary sugar
add 1 T. milk if necessary to make spreadable.

Heat oven to 350.

Beat sugar, butter, and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, and coconut.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto un-greased cookie sheet.

Bake 8 – 10 minutes or until light brown. Cool completely.

some folks like it with frosting and some without - i don't bother. If you have too much rhubarb, you can make and bake a batch and then scoop out the rest and freeze on cookie sheet (in a ball form), then put in a freezer bag or lightly vacuum pack. Just write time/temp on bag and your all set for next time.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
you can peel it and cook it down after which you can do nearly anything with it by adding sugar or fruit. you can add sugar and make a sauce. strain the cooked rhubarb through cheese cloth and add sugar and bring to a boil for a minute or two. too long and it becomes jelly.

you can also peel it and make a pie from it. awesome! just add sugar and dump in a pie shell and bake it. add any seasonal berries if you wish.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I chop it up and measure it into 1 or 2 cup bags. Most recipes call for about that amount. Then you can just pull it out of the freezer and make your recipe. I have never peeled it. Just chop the stalks up.

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
The rhubarb sauce mentioned above is also wonderful over homemade vanilla ice cream. It also makes WONDERFUL fruit leather if you like that sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
I was alway told that Rhubarb was "bad, after the first or maybe mid-July.
The acid in it gets too strong. And, I think it becomes poison.
At least, that's what I'd always heard.
I don't think I'd use it.
I think you might ought to check.
Taks care.

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
My Rhubarb is massive, already, so I need to harvest it. Old John has a valid point about harvesting, has to do with "HEAT." Here in the PNW, we can harvest up to 3 times/year (I don't need that much Rhubarb). I have a large variety! Heat affects the flavor, also makes the stalks tougher. The climate here is wet/cool, so we are challenged growing heat lovers without hoop houses or greenhouses! Here is a link for Rhubarb info:

Harvesting Rhubarb - When and How to Harvest/Pick Rhubarb Stalks

·
Registered
533 Posts
eat raw dipped in sugar

mom used to make a jam /filling with jello when we couldnt get berries..

we also ate it year round , sitting in the garden with a bowl of sugar

1 - 20 of 36 Posts