DH Bought a truck!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mama2littleman, Aug 21, 2005.

1. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Oh my goodness ....

We have been talking about this for a long time, but he finally went and did it, he bought a diesel truck.

WE have needed a second vehicle since I returned to work and his "car" is a motorcycle, and there is no way on earth that I am letting him pick up DS from school on a motorcycle, we have to get a second car.

We wanted a diesel for a lot of different reasons, first of which being having the option of converting it to biodiesel.

BUt, after much searching he finally found one that he liked and that we could afford.

I would really appreciate it if you all would look at the pics and give me your opinion.

Nikki

[​IMG]

2. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

3. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

4. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

5. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Looks nice to me but then out truck is very very old and worn LOL

7. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Thanks sisterpine!

It's not new, but it is new to us.

It's a 1996 V8 diesel with 51,000 miles on it. We are hoping that it lasts a VERY long time.

My current car is a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport with over almost 160,000 miles on it, and it still runs great. We take care of our vehicles and make them last a long time. DH also does most of the work on our car, so we also needed something that he could realistically work on without having to have a mechanic shop for an oil change. A lot of the "newer" vehicles we looked at were so computer dependent that you need a degree in computer programing to work on them, and we hate paying a mechanic for stuff we can do on our own. Plus, 've only been here a few months, so we haven't found a mechanic we are conmfortable with yet.

Nikki

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I see by the second picture that he's still found a way to take his motorcycle to work.

9. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

HEE HEE! Actually, those are the pictures he took while driving it back from the dealer.

He's in Alabama, I'm in Texas, the truck was in South Carolina.

So, He drove on his motorcycle from Alabama to Coastal SC to check it out, and pick it up if he liked it. He drove it back to Alabama yesterday. I won't actually even see it in person until he drives back here to El Paso some time in October.

That's one of the reasons I'm asking for other peoples opinions. I don't know a whole lot about trucks and I'm having to accept this one on pictures and faith alone.

While I trust DH unconditionally, it's nice to have an objective opinion that is not involved in the purchase give some insight.

Nikki

10. Southernman

Southernman Well-Known Member

1996...must have the 7.3ltr.in it. Those are supposed to be long lasting engines. I have a '04 F350 with the 6.0ltr turbo charged diesel and its been a good truck so far. had it about a year now.

11. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Be aware those diesel trucks are very dangerous if they are Fords. You will have to turn it over to me for inspection to make sure that there is no danger. You can deliver it to...

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

51000 miles,thats a new truck! WTG!

BooBoo

13. Natalie11

Natalie11 Well-Known Member

There is something positive you can do for Diesel vehicles as well...

That is putting a couple little modifications in the fuel system and it will become a "Bio-diesel" burner...

Runs on cooking grease, which most restraunts will give away for free... sure beats paying the piper at the pump...

Look up Biodiesel on google for a quick history lesson on the next energy efficient move.....

14. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

15. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Thanks everyone for the replies! Dh is like a kid at Christmas about this. We had researched it for a while, and the engine in this truck is supposed to last a really long time. And there are more then a few of them out there with 300,000 miles or more on them. The only issue that has been raised a few times in our research is that the glow plugs tend to go bad and be insufficient in really cold weather. Since we live in El Paso, and the truck comes equiped with a block heater, we are not too worried about it.

ZealYouthGuy, DH says that he would be happy to drop it off at your place, just as soon as he gets done making sure it's a safe vehicle. Accoding to him, that may take 10 or 15 years. I hope you are patient.

Natalie, the reason we went with diesel was for the bio diesel option. I've done quite a bit of research on the subject, now I just have to bring DH around to the concept.

Thanks again for all the opinions, now I'm starting to get excited about it.

Nikki

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

POS Ford

Ford = Fix Or Repair Daily.

17. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Found On Road Dead? :baby04:

18. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

:::::Fingers in my ears singing:::: "I can't hear you, I can't hear you!!!!"

Nikki

19. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Good buy,when looking for a diesel it was between a Dodge and a Ford,found a good deal on a Dodge so that is what we have.

Should last forever,good buy and hope it works out well for y'all.

where did he buy it from in coastal SC???