Dexter Cow Info

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Snugglebunny, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

I am gathering information about livestock, etc that I want to have on my future farm. I already want chickens, but I am now researching milk cows.

Someone told me about Dexter Cows, and I am extremely interested in them. I have no farming experience and heard they are good for first-timers like me.

Does anyone here have Dexters? What have your experiences with them been like? Are they expensive to purchase and feed/care for?

Before you ask...no I don't know any farmers in this area to talk to.

Any info would be great.

SnuggleBunny, VT

2. Goose

Goose Migratory Waterfowl

We've just recently sold our Limosin/Simmentals and are getting into Dexters. I like what I've seen so far.....the ADCA site has mucho info:

www.dextercattle.org

3. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

http://www.dakodan.net/dexters/forum/

There is a huge amount of info on this site. The people are friendly, you can read all the previous posts, it is split into Beef, milk, bloodlines etc so you can read about what you want. Ask questions, someone will be there to help you out. Oh, and it has lots of pictures also.
    The ADCA site that was posted is also very good.

Carol K

4. Snugglebunny

Might get a bit sappy on you now, but bear with me...

I have spent my whole life searching for a 'life's work'. I thought being a mommy alone would be enough, but my oldest started part time preschool this year, and it made me think on the future...my two boys might not always need me so much.

Anyway, I come from a long line of animal lovers - actually it seems an inherited trait, some of us can 'talk' to them more than others. This became more clear to me when I realized that throughout all the stress and junk during my day, the most relaxing, most peaceful time is when I am caring for an animal. Without them, I have very little sanity or patience with my world.

What better life's work than to care for animals while providing food for my family?

I have fallen in love with Dexters because they appeal to my New England Pinchpenny economical nature while seeming to be wonderful animals.

I am thoroughly looking forward to owning some Dexters, and farming in general...though it looks like it may be quite a while before I can do it. We're in a tiny apartment right now, with no hope of buying our own land for quite a while...it could be years...

As Indigo Montoya once said "I hate waiting"

5. kjerckie

kjerckie Well-Known Member

Snugglebunny,
    This year I got a polled Dexter bull calf. Next year I will be building my female herd. The breed is fantastic to work around, good docile attitudes and easy to tame. I've had real good luck with my bull. Other Dexter breeders I have met were worth the trip to vist. Good folks and nice animals. My advice for you is travel that extra few miles and find a Dexter breeder. You will not be disappointed.

6. kjerckie

7. Snugglebunny

Are you raising him for beef or breeding? He's a pretty boy! I think I would call him "Pretty Boy". He's got the hansomest face with a lovely patch of hair.

8. kjerckie

His purpose in life will be pasture buddy for my bull and lawn ornament for me. I had him castorated and dehorned two weeks ago. He's five months younger than my bull.

9. Snugglebunny

Sounds good to me...he'll make a beautiful lawn ornament!

Aw, man... am I gonna have the heart to have any animals slaughtered for meat? I'll get awfully attatched to them..

10. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Bunny, are there any dairies in your area?

You'd probably enjoy working for one. :)

It's given me a lot of knowledge that has come in handy dealing with my own cows.

Of course, I still ask lots of questions here! ;)

11. Snugglebunny

I can't work...I have two boys to care for, and we can't afford child care. I thought about it, though.

Especially since right now we're stuck in this stupid apartment, and I can't do anything productive outside of dishes and laundry... I am wishing I could work with animals somehow to pass the time until we can get our own. (Besides the cat anyway)

I told my husband "How would you feel if Ed MacMahon came to you and promised you a million dollars, but refused to tell you when he was going to give it to you? That's how I feel right now." I feel certain I am being called to have a family farm of some kind, but I don't know when, and I am somehow supposed to sit and wait until I can.

12. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

This may not encourage you, but I am in my late 40's with 2 of my kids over 21 (one other kid still knee deep in teenagerdom) and it was only 2 years ago that I was able to fulfill a lifelong dream of having a farm. Even now the term farm is what one makes of it. We have a 1/4 of an acre that is divided into where the house is and the house's gardens and and into where the greenhouse, chickens, food garden, goats, and cow live with their respectives sheds (1/8 of an acre). Thank God for county islands. I love the hobby it has given me and even though it has been a 20+ year long dream, I see where the timing is right. I never could have done this and worked while raising young 'uns.

Where I'm trying to encourage you is that it will happen in the right time, and you'll see how good it is. Hang in there. (Maybe you can volunteer at a farm with the boys in tow?)

13. Snugglebunny

Let me get this straight...

You have 1/4 of an acre of land that you keep a cow, goats, chickens, a garden, greenhouse... all that on 1/4 of an acre???!!!

14. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I know many people have more acreage (I have acre envy), but ont he hlf of the property that is set aside for the animals we have a great coop (about 12x10??), a milking pen, ( this is where the cow had shelter space when she was a calf (about 8x10), everyone still hangs out in it when it is rainy or too cold or windy, etc., the greenhouse (about 12x12), the garden (about 24x12), a doghouse that was supposed to be for the goats to jump off off, etc, but if the weather is bad, the three of them are always found in there they're pygmy goats).

There is space for all to run, the cow to roam some, and the chickens to scratch to their hearts delight. I think I've posted here that I've alays had concerns about the cows space, but since she is hay and grain fed, the vet has always said she is just fine. Everyone points out to me if she was on a dairy farm, she'd have lots less sapce. During the spring, I tether her for a few hours on the field across the street. She sure loves it there, but is fine when she isn't there too.

It isn't the dream of things, but if you look at the pictures of my calf under willow girl's post, there may be one that you can see her with the yard up to the road behind her. My point is, sometimes our dreams work out in spite of themselves. My neighbors (LUCKY ME) love having animals beside horses in the area. Kids are always coming over to visit and feed them grass from one nieghbor's yard.

If you are ever in the area, feel free to bop by.