Deworming Goats... advice needed

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jul 17, 2004.

1. We're new to raising farm animals, and have two goats that I need to de-worm. The farm supply salesperson sold me Fenbendazole 0.5% that is intended for cattle and swine, but she said to use it for my goats.

So, I'm trying to figure out the dosage. I'm thinking a little less than a cup total, spread out over 3 days in the food for both goats (not each)? Does that sound about right?

The goats are nubian/boer crosses, and are 6 and 8 months old. The 8-month old looks to be full grown now.

Thanks for your help!

2. Galloping Goats

Galloping Goats Active Member

We use Ivermectin or safegaurd alternately because the worms build up a resistence. They are both horse wormers. The dosage is 3 x the goats weight. If the goat weighs 100lbs. You dose for 300lbs. I have never used the wormer you are talking about, just the paste wormers. I have also used the hoegers natural wormer but have one doe who won't eat it. I have always heard that you use equine products for goats not swine or cow, but I could be wrong. The farm store person could also be wrong, they don't always know what they are talking about.

3. lostacreslady

lostacreslady Member

I have heard of using 3 x the dosage of Ivermectin (for Horses), and I was wondering why you would use 3 x more for a goat than a horse? This is just an opinion but would over dosing not be dangerous to the goat? I heard another goat person mention her vet said to 3 x the dosage. I guess what I am rambling around here and trying to find out, is why would a goat require 3 x more than a horse. Most wormers caution to no overdose colts, and smaller horses. I have 3 Nigerian Dwarfs and am very curious about this.

Thanks,
    Lostacreslady

4. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

a goats metabolism works so much faster that it can normally take a more lethal dose of wormer and run it straight through before it becomes a problem to itself. most wormers are fairly safe to overdose but not all. generally it's better to overdose than to underdose because an underdose just builds up worms resistant to the worm medicine.

5. lostacreslady

lostacreslady Member

THANKS, that makes sense. I was having a little problem with rationalizing why you use 3 x as much.

Lostacreslady

6. In most parts of the country the white dewormers (Panacur, Valbazen, Safeguard, etc) have lots their effectiveness. If you use them then use them at 3 times the cattle dose for three days in a row. Do a fecal in 7 to 10 days to see if it is working. Drench them.

7. tutfarm

tutfarm New Member

Manna Pro just put out a new product called Postitive Pellet Goat DeWormer. The rep said it comes in 6lb bags, and convenient to feed in pellet form.

8. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I think That I have read where your not suppose to use cattle wormer on goats.I think its the horse that you use the 3x doseage.The cattle is stronger doseage.My neighbor just wormed 2 large nubian does with the cattle Safeguard.He gave about 1/2 cup dose of the pellets. They had the screamers for three days.

9. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

the majority of wormers that you use is for cattle. there's not very many at all that has been approved for goats or many other medecines for that matter, at least in the usa. there is something in some goat feed thats toxic to horses though. can't remember the name right now but i beleve it's a medecine for cocci.

10. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

My vet recommends Ivomec injectable. The one for cows and swine. Dosage she recommends is 2cc per 100lb. She said you can inject or give it orally. She also said give them more not less. Stay away from Golden Blend wormer pellets, they didn't work for me.
    I'm gonna investigate the Safagaurd route (fenbenzanole)
    with my vet because I need to alternate and I will post her recommendation when I get it.

11. Lazy Daze Farm

Lazy Daze Farm Active Member

Every 3-4 months I use Imovec injectable for cattle & swine, at 1cc per 40 pounds, but give it ORALLY. Orally works just as well as injection for this particular wormer. Suck the dosage into the syringe, and obviously, remove the needle before shooting it into your goat's mouth. Imovec will not kill tapeworms, so every now & then I use Panacur instead at 4x the horse dosage. You must give Panacur 3 days in a row in order to kill the tapeworms. It has worked great for my herd, but I have heard that some people have had problems with Panacur loosing its effectiveness on their goats. It would be a good idea to take a fecal sample to your vet after worming just to see if what you're using is working, otherwise you are just wasting your money :no: Also, I like to give a coccidia prevention treatment every spring & fall. Corid has worked well for me. There are excellent instructions on the package.

Not saying this is the right way & only way to worm. Just sharing what has been successful for me :) http://www.FiascoFarms.com has WONDERFUL info on wormers & dosages along with several other topics.

Liz