Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first of all, forgive me, because I'm a librarian by trade

Today I have been organizing our books by Dewey Decimal System.
I know that seems really......ummmm.......crazy, BUT!
It's the best way to organize!!!

So anyway, I came to Carla Emery's book & it is housed in the same location as "Living More with Less"
If you have never laid your hands on that little gem, I suggest you do so -
It's a great book!

Anyway, if I were doing it myself (without Mr. Dewey's help), I probably wouldn't have thought to put them together....but when I put them on the shelf, I thought "YES, they definitely go side by side"

Just wanted to share some of my insanity ;)

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
They would go together. I agree Dewey is the best way to organize books. My kids thought I was nuts to stat by putting all our fiction by author, new house and they will be learning DDS and our library will get set to rights!

Cheryl
library tech B.C.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I can't say that for some library material I'm all that fond of the Dewey decimal system.

For an example the Little Britches series of books and others by Ralph Moody are scattered rather than being together. Where I'm at they are in autobiography, fiction, history, and some in the "Kansas Room" which is specifically set aside for Kansas material. The ones in the Kansas Room deal with the time he lived in Kansas. The books in the Kansas room bear K or KC designating they belong there, with only those with a KC for out of building circulation. Oh I almost forgot, some are in the audio book section.

Another example where I live is reference books. Some are only in the Reference Department while others are in the reference section of the Children's Department, while still others are in the numbered section of the main floor, and still others are in the pamphlet section, and yet others in the government publication section. Now that I think about it still other reference material is so old and fragile that it has been pulled from public areas and is only available by asking at which time a librarian will retrieve it from safe keeping storage.

Perhaps smaller libraries without such departments aren't bothered by that but it is a pain here.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
I use LoC but have oft pondered if that is best, and have a hard time reshelving my books (I'd be better off with at least the proper first two dewey digits) since I'm too lazy to look again for the numbers on the shelf. And what about all my English books? I've made up a few LoC numbers but feel slightly ill at ease havng done so... Any advice from OP?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I work in a library! Good to know you! Where did you get your degree?

heather said:
Well, first of all, forgive me, because I'm a librarian by trade

Today I have been organizing our books by Dewey Decimal System.
I know that seems really......ummmm.......crazy, BUT!
It's the best way to organize!!!

So anyway, I came to Carla Emery's book & it is housed in the same location as "Living More with Less"
If you have never laid your hands on that little gem, I suggest you do so -
It's a great book!

Anyway, if I were doing it myself (without Mr. Dewey's help), I probably wouldn't have thought to put them together....but when I put them on the shelf, I thought "YES, they definitely go side by side"

Just wanted to share some of my insanity ;)

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
As the proud 43 Y/O son of a librarian (MLS), I must say I am convinced the Dewey Decimal System was designed as a job protection scheme by librarians to ensure they will ALWAYS be employed because no one but a librarian can understand the darn thing LOL...JUST KIDDING (well sort of).
As to placing your personal books according to the DDS, it is perfectly alright for you to do so....you are hard wired to do so...it will harm no one.....it's not your fault.....

P.S. One of our favorite pranks growing up was to deliberately mis-shelve books in our home library and see how long it took mom to find and correct it....rarely more than a day LOL.

David <~~~~ Who truely loves his librarian mom for making him read ALL those books growing up ;)

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jenn said:
And what about all my English books?
Dewey-ize!! You'll sleep better :p

booklover said:
I work in a library! Good to know you! Where did you get your degree?
I got my BA from Geneva College & my MSLS from Clarion University
How about you?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Windy in Kansas said:
I can't say that for some library material I'm all that fond of the Dewey decimal system.

For an example the Little Britches series of books and others by Ralph Moody are scattered rather than being together. Where I'm at they are in autobiography, fiction, history, and some in the "Kansas Room" which is specifically set aside for Kansas material. The ones in the Kansas Room deal with the time he lived in Kansas. The books in the Kansas room bear K or KC designating they belong there, with only those with a KC for out of building circulation. Oh I almost forgot, some are in the audio book section.

Another example where I live is reference books. Some are only in the Reference Department while others are in the reference section of the Children's Department, while still others are in the numbered section of the main floor, and still others are in the pamphlet section, and yet others in the government publication section. Now that I think about it still other reference material is so old and fragile that it has been pulled from public areas and is only available by asking at which time a librarian will retrieve it from safe keeping storage.

Perhaps smaller libraries without such departments aren't bothered by that but it is a pain here.
but see, this isn't a Dewey problem -
This is someone NOT following the system -
Most libraries that I've been in & worked in have their own system that they intertwine with Dewey
It can get ugly, I agree! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'm just a clerk. But I would love to get my MSLS. Our director is always going on about this program being a good MLS/MSLS program and that one is not. I don't even know where to start because they are becoming so specialized. I had talked to the director (?) at Clarion at one point... Dr. Valtrek or some such? But we were living abroad at the time and I wasn't sure when we'd be coming back to the midwest. I ended up giving up the idea of being an actual "librarian" and being just a clerk for now. But I truly love it! That's wonderful for you.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
my great grandfather was librarian (head librarian I think) at University of Illinois-Urbana for 40+ years. 2 of his daughters (my grandmother's sisters) were librarians also.

not too many trappings of wealth that i lust after, except a large english library, with the tall rolling ladders, and lots of leather-bound classics on the shelves. and of course, a sunny bay window to curl up to read them.

--sgl

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
booklover said:
I'm just a clerk. But I would love to get my MSLS. Our director is always going on about this program being a good MLS/MSLS program and that one is not. I don't even know where to start because they are becoming so specialized. I had talked to the director (?) at Clarion at one point... Dr. Valtrek or some such? But we were living abroad at the time and I wasn't sure when we'd be coming back to the midwest. I ended up giving up the idea of being an actual "librarian" and being just a clerk for now. But I truly love it!
Booklover, (nice handle BTW) It's Dr. Vavrek at Clarion -
IF you decide to do your Masters, make sure you get it from an ALA Accredited program
Here's an online list for you
Alphabetical List of Institutions with ALA-Accredited Programs
The ALA (though I'm not necessarily a fan) has some great info. on their web site.
FYI - I got my degree with 1/3 of my classes done at Clarion's campus, 1/3 of my classes done at a satellite campus & 1/3 of my classes done on line. There are many programs that are flexible for people who work or have family....I used to sit at my computer nursing my daughter during my online classes :p
I was a clerk for a while also - then I had a manager encourage me to get my degree - it certainly ups the ante for the job market. Of course, now I'm a full-time mom, so who knows where it will ultimately lead. :shrug:

sgl42 said:
not too many trappings of wealth that i lust after, except a large english library, with the tall rolling ladders
oh, i would absolutely LOVE one of those rolling ladders too!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts