dewalt sawzall

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, Dec 9, 2006.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

this morning at the hardware store i saw a dewalt reciprocating saw on sale for $65. is this a good deal? i might have to give it to myself for xmas. :dance:

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If your going to be useing it daily to make money, yes. DeWalt is a major brand. But if you will only use it twice a year I'd get a cheap one at Harbor Freight - $20.00 on sale.

3. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

And if you get one, get the one that has the quick change blade deal instead of the chuck that uses the allen wrench. I'm forever loosing that wrench.

4. Ed0517

Ed0517 Well-Known Member

Grab it, if it is more than occasional use. Those contractors aren't using yellow tools because they like the color. (Manufacturers tend to make their tools one color. Yellows are DeWalts, bluegreen makita, Milwaukee red, etc. Contractors do use other brands, but they don't want throwaway crap)

5. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

its at least a 25% savings and if you will use it more than once or twice a year, go for it. i love mine for cutting down small saplings and grapevines.

6. farmerjack68

farmerjack68 Well-Known Member

i have one that we use all the time for all kinds of things, ok i have two 1 milwaukee and one deWalt but the dewalt gets uaed the most because of the quick change blades and the one i have the blade can go in two ways so it is extreamly useful i think i gave about 100.00 so for that price id grab it ,but i am a contractor although i have friends who arnt and they also have dewalt tools because they seem to hold up well

7. bare

bare Head Muderator

Don't do it! Save your money for a cordless Dewalt sawzall. Man, these things rock. I wanna holster for mine. I like just roaming around the place with mine, it's handy for just about anything.

8. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Grab it. Buying cheap tools doesn't work for me. I prefer to cry just once.

9. marvella

thanks all!! i learned the value of buying good tools when i got my dewalt cordless drill. worth every penny.

i may have to go get it monday. :)

10. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................I , have always felt all saws like a sawzall had one , major , glaring deficiency , that being , NO HANDLE on the side like most drills have !! And , you'll soon discover this when you start cutting anything of any significant size . I believe some manufacturers are NOW making saws with a handle on the side , I just can't remember their name . 65 is a bargain , IF the saw is in good shape , obviously that particular saw you SAW was probably returned so I'm make the seller agree too accepting it back , IF you aren't satisified . fordy... :)

11. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Dewalt is a very popular brand that is used by contractors.
    Look on the box to see where it was made. Might suprise you.

12. marvella

it wasn't just one, it was a whole table full of them. can't all be returns... just a good deal for xmas, i think. if you are interested it is the newport ace hardware in newport, tn. :)

13. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Thats a decent price though you might check the model dewalt and others have differnet grades of tools , Im sure its not the top of the line dewalt as they run around 189.00 , most likely its a refurbashed saw.
    for sawz alls the ranking goes
    Milwalkee
    Makita
    Dewalt

Im hard as heck on tools more often than not they get dropped off roofs and left in the weather. So I can hoestly say if they last for me they should last forever for someone that does treat them well . My makita sawz-all and hypoid circular saws have spent 13 years bouncing around in the back of an open pick up bed they have been used on everything from balsa to concrete including metal and never given a problem. Before getting them I was going through a saw every two weeks , you do pay a bit more for quality but it saves you in the long run

14. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    My hubby went through two Dewalt Sawzalls a couple years ago(not the cheap one). Turned out they had a defect in the blade hook up thingy--it woud throw a nut or something(I have no idea but it was an acknowledged defect by the company) and lose parts deep inside. So he got the second one for free as a replacement, after doing some research and finding out about the defect and pressing Lowes for a replacement(of course Lowes won't pull them off the shelf, they'll just put them on the discount table). But the second time around no dice. So it sits in the box ;)

He used the sawzall to cut a hole in our trailer to make a big door to make the trailer into a toy hauler. :)

Just make sure to keep all receipts and paperwork!

15. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................Personally , I don't care for DeWalt tools . My current saw is a Porter-Cable Tiger saw I purchased new and 6 years old with the quick blade release . It has never missed a lick since new and I expect it'll still be cuttin' when I'm too weak to hold it up . fordy... :)

16. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Say Merry Christmas to yourself and enjoy!

17. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Are you looking at the cordless variety? If so that seems like a pretty good deal. I use mine alot!!! No problem with the blade attachment. I put on a pruning type blade and can cut small trees down below the soil surface with it. No stump! Mine is also cordless so easy to take to distant places on Deberosa to work.

My brother recommended the 12V cordless set three years ago - he uses it in his profession. So far the batteries are holding up great and I use the Sawsall, circular saw and drill all the time!

Treat yourself - it's what I did to get mine three years ago.

18. marvella

yep it's cordless. i can use it for a variety of things. i'm terrified of a chainsaw, but this i can use.

good to see you around again, deberosa. :)

19. bare

bare Head Muderator

WOW! A DeWalt cordless for $65? What voltage? Do they come with two batteries and a charger? Man, I'd buy 'em all for resale!

20. Ed0517

Ed0517 Well-Known Member

Run, do not walk. That was a good deal corded. Great deal cordless. Hope you can use the drill battery too for an extra.

Pyro, wasn't Milwaukee the one who made the first ones? They made the name sawzall, wasn't it?