Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Dewalt battery grease gun. I used one cartridge and was putting in the next one. I could not get the spent cartridge out. The instruction booklet was no help. I called Dewalt customer support. The call was answered by a person. That was good. I could not understand his English very well. That was bad. He sent me an e-mail to fill out my info, and said someone would call me. I filled out the e-mail. No one ever called. This was about three weeks ago.

I found a YouTube on the gun. It gave me a clue. I replaced the cartridge.

Today I get an e-mail with a return authorization for the gun. What a waste of money on Dewalt's part. Anyway, I love this gun.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Auto part Engineering

I bet on Dewalt. All my battery stuff is Dewalt. I have a drill, a circular saw, a hedge trimmer, hand sander, vacuum cleaner, saws all, and grass trimmer. They all use the same battery.

·
Registered
40,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen them, but have never used one. What was the problem with the cartridge?
The spent cartridge had a small dent in the metal ring that was hanging on the gun casing. The gun casing actually screws out of the gun. I could pull the spent cartridge out on the other end after I screwed it out.

·
Registered
40,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about Dewalt's support policy. Pretty smart.

They put the cheapest person they could on the phone. I feel good because I got a person. Their system sends me an e-mail, promising help. Time passes. No help. I either figure it out (I did) or I don't, and return the gun. This is the lowest possible support model I could imagine.

I do like the gun. I had always used the old manual pump grease gun. My tractor alone has maybe 20 zerks. and some take two hand squeezes. My no till has about 20. This makes all that easier

·
Registered
Working on a better way of living life.
138 Posts
Need a replacement battery.I have an older Dewat screw gun and the last battery is dead. Dewalt nolonger makes a replacement of this type. My only option is after market thats made in china and not going to happen. Any suggestions other than buying a new screw gun?

Font Gas Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
40,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Need a replacement battery.I have an older Dewat screw gun and the last battery is dead. Dewalt nolonger makes a replacement of this type. My only option is after market thats made in china and not going to happen. Any suggestions other than buying a new screw gun?
If you're handy with electronics, you can rebuild the battery with 4 Li-Ion cells and a battery controller. Or you can have it done or buy one that's been rebuilt, but for the prices I've seen, for not a lot more you can get a new 20v drill with 2 Li-Ion batteries. I had the same problem with my old 12v drills, and the best thing I ever did with them was buy the new drill for $100.

Li-Ion tool batteries are light years ahead of NiCd, not because they're Li-Ion, but because of the battery controller circuitry they require, which makes them work way better. You just can't charge & discharge 12-15 NiCd cells in a long series string and expect good performance and long life; the cells have to be handled individually, which is how Li-Ion batteries do it.

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts

View attachment 110378
have you tried hte new screw guns
you might want to step up into the modern , my 1/4 inch impact driver will pull a 3 1/2 inch deck screw through 2x4s I mead drag the head right through if you don't stop
no shortage of power and they make them more powerfull than that

we used to dream of drawing 2 boards together back when we had 12v Dewalts it is a reality now , has been for several years.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you're handy with electronics, you can rebuild the battery with 4 Li-Ion cells and a battery controller. Or you can have it done or buy one that's been rebuilt, but for the prices I've seen, for not a lot more you can get a new 20v drill with 2 Li-Ion batteries. I had the same problem with my old 12v drills, and the best thing I ever did with them was buy the new drill for $100.

Li-Ion tool batteries are light years ahead of NiCd, not because they're Li-Ion, but because of the battery controller circuitry they require, which makes them work way better. You just can't charge & discharge 12-15 NiCd cells in a long series string and expect good performance and long life; the cells have to be handled individually, which is how Li-Ion batteries do it.
Know nothing about electronics and would be better off upgrading to drill driver. I hate shelving something that's in good condition. With that said I'll buy a new one before buying the imported part.

·
Registered
138 Posts
have you tried hte new screw guns
you might want to step up into the modern , my 1/4 inch impact driver will pull a 3 1/2 inch deck screw through 2x4s I mead drag the head right through if you don't stop
no shortage of power and they make them more powerfull than that

we used to dream of drawing 2 boards together back when we had 12v Dewalts it is a reality now , has been for several years.

But Milwaukee is made in china.

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
But Milwaukee is made in china.
half or more of everything is made in china
the dewalt is assembled in the US
I have Milwakee stuff made in the US it is 20+ years old and corded

as they say you no longer buy a tool you buy a battery platform and then the tools that all share the same battery

I am all rigid because it is what replaced my old 12v dewalt nicad drill from 1999
ridgid has very good warranty even on the batteries they are the same parent company as Milwaukee , the Milwaukee by the second generation of any model will always be the better tool , Milwakee will not let a rigid be better but it happens from time to time they test the new stuff out on the rigid line.

my son went Milwaukee because they have a much broader line of mechanics tools than any other

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 1st choice is corded. I don't use my tools often enough and I always have to change everything the night before. So I usually buy used corded when I can find them. I've had good luck so far as people are replacing with battery tools. When I take my time shopping corded in good shape goes at a low price.

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
I find myself working from my truck most of the time.
my wife called my Van my mobile garage and my current truck isn't much different.
the inverter in my cab can charge the tool batteries without killing my truck battery so with a charger at home and a charger in the truck I keep all the batteries charged all the time if it is below 3 bars on the charge indicator on the charger it goes.

it really is all about where your most likely to use your tools

I can remember working with my grandpa and he had 4 2x4s to cut I said I will go get the circular saw and cord , he said by the time you run that cord I will be done and pulled out his sharp hand saw and he really was done in about the time it would take to run the cord
I have a good sharp hand saw also , but the battery powered circular saw is even faster yet

likewise I have 2 types of grease I use from grease guns and 3 grease guns and all my grease guns are manual my consumption of grease is never more than a few pumps at a time I can often go all year on a cartridge for each one
if I was burning thru a tube a week even it might be worth the power grease gun , power grease guns are really for full time mechanics and equipment operators who grease multiple zerts every day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts