Device to measure electric use???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by unregistered5595, Oct 10, 2004.

1. unregistered5595

unregistered5595 Guest

Hi all,
    Is there a device that measures the amount of electric energy I'm using by plugging it in between the outlet and the appliance?
    What would it be called? Could this be done over a 24 hour period? Can it be bought or rented?
    My electric bill is outrageous and there doesn't seem to be a good reason. No air conditioner, gas heat and stove. Consistently there is a freezer, a refrigerator, a computer/monitor, a well pump, a cordless phone and a water heater. The water heater has an insulation blanket on it but not a timer. Lights are being shut off, unneccessary items are not used.
    Is there such a device? I'd buy or rent it if it existed to get a handle on my electric use lately! Any suggestions? Thanks, Feather :)

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................That electric meter on the Pole is the "Meter" that you should be watching.....To gauge the quantity of Watts being consumed , first off you're going to have to learn to READ your meter....correctly !! Now , I would, first off , see if you can tell the approximate power consumption of the Biggies ....like the Waterheater , assuming of course it is electric . Next visit to the Store BUY one of those small Thermometers with the long , slender "needle" about 6 inches long that you can use to test the Temp in all sorts of foods . Now, test the temp. of the water on "hot(no cold) and record the Temp. , get a meter reading around the time you go to bed then turn OFF the WH., as you will have to switch OFF the circuit breaker on the Master Panel . Now, when you get UP the next morning go read Your meter before activating ANYOTHER electrical device . You might even leave the Central air and heat off as well . This will tell YOU how much power the WH is consuming overnight to keep the water HOT ...all night long . This method will work for any Major appliance in your household .
    ................Also, I would try and turn the water temp control ....DOWN as low as it will go and still be warm enough to keep You from freezing while bathing , etc . Might want to consider putting a timer on the WH as there is no need to keep WH "on" while you are in la la Land!!!......fordy.... :eek: :)

3. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Sure there is. There are some simple devices that plug into the wall receptacle and then your appliance (or whatever) plugs into that. I've seen them advertised, but I can't remember where.

I have something that I assembled out of the junk, mostly. I found a kilowatt hour meter base, used a pipe nipple to attach a weather proof box with a duplex
    20 amp receptacle, with "in use" cover. I installed a Form 2S kilowatt hour meter in the meter base, properly jumpered to measure 120 volts.

There's about an eight foot 12/3 type SOW cord with a male plug going into the meter base. It works just like the "store bought" variety, except I can use mine outdoors if need be.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

5. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

We lived on a place and I noticed the electric bill had jumped considerable. Turned out the well pipe had a small hole in it and the well was running continuously. Sure glad we found out before they had to replace a pump. Also glad we were renting at the time and the repair cost did not come out of our pocket. This year our electric has increased about 25%. A new natural gas power plant was installed and apparently they need us to pay for it.