Developing land...vent and solution in one

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Meg Z, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Well, it's finally come our way. We've owned our few acres for 2 years and a couple months now. We contacted the guy who owns 115 acres of crop land that surrounds us about selling us a few more acres. He's willing. As long as we pay the astronomical price per acre he's fixing to get selling the property to a developer. :grit:

So, we spent an hour pulling our hair out, and trying to figure out what to do. Stop plans on adding livestock? Those folks are going to complain about roosters and buck goats. Add more livestock? They might prefer pigs! :1pig: :D

An hour later, an old friend we had been expecting drove up for a couple days visit. When he had called, we thought he just wanted to visit...but he had an ulterior motive. He was coming by to try to talk us into going in with him and his wife on a big chunk of land, and then dividing it in two. He didn't think we'd want to move, but they figured they'd try.

So, keep your fingers crossed...this could all work out! I'll be doing the land/area search while hubby is deployed. They'll fly in to look at anything good. We can buy now, build, and still be sold out here before the developers get going full swing. (I think/hope).

And the best part? We've been neighbors with these folks several times in the past, thanks to the military. We've been 'across the street' neighbors, 'around the corner' neighbors, and 'down the road a piece' neighbors. He has come up from Florida to meet my hubby in Georgia to go deer hunting. They came up from Florida for my graduation party. They're real friends that I know I can count on, and they know the same about us. :buds:

Sometimes things really can work out. :clap: Now if we can just get the pieces of this puzzle to fall gently into place...

Meg
    No comments really necessary...just getting this off my chest.

2. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i'd stick around till the developers come, chances are when they start buying and other people start moving in, your land will see a raise in price.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Hope the new plans work out.

BooBoo

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

We thought about it, but unfortunately, we don't have enough land to make that work. At that point, they'd only want the land, and the buildings and fences would just be a liability. We've seen a lot of nice places sell for good money for the acreage, but not nearly enough to pay off a mortgage, because the buildings have no value when they're going to be knocked down. We only own 5.5 acres, and that's not enough to balance out. Wish it was!

Meg

5. kenuchelover

kenuchelover Well-Known Member

On the other hand, a developer might be willing to pay you a big premium just to make everything look all sanitary for the future house buyers. Contact him & see.... take photos to show him….AFTER you've messed up your place a bit (scatter some trash around the yard, borrow a rusty automobile or two & put them up on blocks, make up some rust colored whitewash that’ll wash off easy & scatter splotches on any pole fences or tin roofs, make a hog wallow RIGHT by the gate in case he drives by to look, let any poulty run free until you’ve taken photos, etc). Tell him you “can’t afford to move”, but would be willing to if he bought your place (for enough to pay the mortgage AND pay moving expenses & help with a down payment elsewhere) to avoid conflict.

A developer might want your land anyway, just to be able to lay out a neat housing plan without warping things around you.

6. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

i agree
    you might also add that you think you would probably be grandfathered in from any new subdivision ords. that might be made but for the right price you would move. get more cows,pigs,chickens,goats etc. now just so he knows what his potential costomers will be seeing.

7. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

OTH, if you WERE to install a bunch of piglets on your present farm, it might make the developer VERY anxious to buy you out. It's worth thinking about.

8. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

I vote for PIGS!
    You need to contact the developer.