Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to make my own feed. buying from the grain mill is costly. I found a farmer with wheat, oats and barley averaging $320 a ton. corn is not a big grower in Oregon. My pastures are far from supporting pigs and focused on the sheep, and the recently logged hillside still need fences before they can go up there. so grain based feed it is for now. I'mgo ing to not bother with feeders over the winter. just brood sows.

When i read up on creating a diet there is so much contradictory info. only x % of this grain, no! its okay in this percent! arg!

I'm thinking to make a mix with 50% wheat, 25% oats and 25% barley. Of course, unless i sprout it it will be only 12% protein. I;d like to avoid soy if possible, so i need to find another source of protein with lysine. I'm still trying to source a dairy.

ideas?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am not an expert by an means and I am not great at figuring everything out. We feed sprouted wheat and dairy here in Oregon. We have found sprouting the diversity you mention in quantity in the winter here was difficult. We get better results with just wheat. We keep our own cows for the milk portion.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I'm looking to make my own feed. buying from the grain mill is costly. I found a farmer with wheat, oats and barley averaging $320 a ton. corn is not a big grower in Oregon. My pastures are far from supporting pigs and focused on the sheep, and the recently logged hillside still need fences before they can go up there. so grain based feed it is for now. I'mgo ing to not bother with feeders over the winter. just brood sows.

When i read up on creating a diet there is so much contradictory info. only x % of this grain, no! its okay in this percent! arg!

I'm thinking to make a mix with 50% wheat, 25% oats and 25% barley. Of course, unless i sprout it it will be only 12% protein. I;d like to avoid soy if possible, so i need to find another source of protein with lysine. I'm still trying to source a dairy.

ideas?
You can buy a mineral/vitamin pack to mix with it.
The mix sounds good.

Still a bit high for farm raised from the farmer.
I grow and mix my own . Cost is around 4 cents a lb. I can buy a good corn,soy,mosslass mix from a feeder lot here for 5 cents a lb.

Prices for corn based feed is going down here in S.E. Mo. Last year it reached a high. It was about 22 bucks for 100 lbs. mix with min/vit mixed in. 14 percent protein. 2 mos. ago it was 17 dollars per 100 weight. Today i checked and it has dropped to $ 12 per 100 lbs. Comes in 50 lb. bags. This is the lowest corn feed has been here in s.e. mo. in the past 3 years. If the price of corn stays low i will buy my corn instead of raising it myself next year.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i need to find another source of protein with lysine.
Field peas!

Very high lysine percentage, 20-25% protein, and should be able to be grown very well up north.

I feed my pigs and chickens a mixture of wheat, oats, BOSS, field peas, and flax seeds. Wheat accounts for just under half of the mix. I also ferment it or a few days in glass jars to increase the digestibility and available nutrients.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This may not help a whole lot, but for me dairy and wheat was my formula for the last feeder pigs I did.

I fed ground wheat supplemented with a mineral mix. Also fed dairy in all its liquid forms: 1%,2%,whole, skim,buttermilk,chocalate milk, half and half,even a little ice cream mix. I fed this in contolled amounts, up to 5 gallon per pig per day at the end. The result was wheat used averaged about 400 lbs per hog (40 lb weaner to 275+)
Hanging weights on the five after 4 and a half months were 215,210,180,180,180.

I am blessed as I am a mile by the way the bird flies from a major national dairy companys largest plant that can process 300K gallons per day. ALL the returned milk products I can take. Probably could feed out 300 hogs at a time. However it is very labor intensive and just not worth my time when it only saves me 50% in feed costs. Time is money to me. I am also blessed to have a processor 10 min away(picks up for free) and can buy wheat straight from the grain elevator 15 min away

What ticked me off about this last bunch is they would root thru the creep feeder, spilling out the feed. Waste! Last bunch didnt do that...

I have about 1600 lbs of whole wheat left, I am going to feed out the next two just with that and a bagged mineral/amino acid supplement sold by Agway. http://www.agwayfeeds.com/agway/en/products/pigs/agway-swine-supplement/index.jsp No more milk. Again too labor intensive.

Finish them off with apples...and yes there is an orchard 10 min away that lets me have all the ground apple I care to collect. yes I am one lucky SOB to have such close resources.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the sprouting/fodder was an idea i tossed around. I wish i had enough land for growing my own grains and cows! alas. 2 acers of flat-ish stuff and 10 on a very steep hillside leave me with limited options.

any ideas of how to find grain dealers off of craigslist? maybe i can talk to the extention agent....

for comparison the wonderful feed from them mill an hour away runs $430 a ton. thes thrive on it, but its just too expensive and it would be nice to avoid corn and soy as a selling point. and because they are gmo and there are questions about long term effects of them on breeding stock...but thats a topic for another day.

·
Registered
122 Posts
the sprouting/fodder was an idea i tossed around. I wish i had enough land for growing my own grains and cows! alas. 2 acers of flat-ish stuff and 10 on a very steep hillside leave me with limited options.

any ideas of how to find grain dealers off of craigslist? maybe i can talk to the extention agent....

for comparison the wonderful feed from them mill an hour away runs $430 a ton. thes thrive on it, but its just too expensive and it would be nice to avoid corn and soy as a selling point. and because they are gmo and there are questions about long term effects of them on breeding stock...but thats a topic for another day.

I googled "grain elevators in oregon" and came up with several. Thats is were your going to get your best price. But they probably wont grind it. Get an old hammer mill.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Was talking to a feed guy the other day about wheat and he said he didn't like it. Said that it can make it kind of gummy and they won't want to eat it. He's sold feed fans ran a mill for 40 years and ran probably millions of pigs with his dad so he does have some experience.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We buy direct from farmers and I think we are paying about $240 a ton for wheat (DH does the actual buying). Is there any one growing wheat around you? We sprout because we don't have the equipment to grind. We have used the mineral mix-in but the one the local feed store sells includes soy which I don't like to feed. We soak in a 55 gallon drum overnight and then scoop in to 2 half drums with drainage holes to sprout.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
We buy direct from farmers and I think we are paying about $240 a ton for wheat (DH does the actual buying). Is there any one growing wheat around you? We sprout because we don't have the equipment to grind. We have used the mineral mix-in but the one the local feed store sells includes soy which I don't like to feed. We soak in a 55 gallon drum overnight and then scoop in to 2 half drums with drainage holes to sprout.
Friend up the valley feeds just plain wheat. He said after about 20 days of feeding the whole wheat that the pigs adjust to it and digest it ok. I think i will experiment with feeding a couple runts wheat and see how they progress on just dry whole wheat. Two runts from different litters were not getting all the feed they needed so i penned them up and will feed them by themselves and see if they will make butcher hogs. I will continue to feed them high protein feed but just mix in whole wheat with it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I prefer barley as it has more protein and is often cheaper.
It's easy to develop your own ration, just google "wheat pig ration" and lots will come up. For supplemental protein don't overlook legume pastures. If your pasture isn't great then you'll need to add soy bean meal and minerals.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Field peas!

Very high lysine percentage, 20-25% protein, and should be able to be grown very well up north.

I feed my pigs and chickens a mixture of wheat, oats, BOSS, field peas, and flax seeds. Wheat accounts for just under half of the mix. I also ferment it or a few days in glass jars to increase the digestibility and available nutrients.
Where do you get your field peas and how much do you pay?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts