Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,505 Posts
Try it on a small amount first. I can't see that it would make a lot of difference.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
Premium Member
22,505 Posts
Hang on a sec.

What do you mean by "sandwich spread"?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Everyone seems to make them different. Ive had some that gagged me. But the ones I have eaten from my area and family etc are all good. I did have some once that tasted different. Wasnt bad per se but different. Instead of Bama etc they used Miracle Whip. I still use the yolk mayo mustard relish and garlic salt occasionally very fine chopped onion lightly sprinkle with smoked paprika as a go to. Simple and quick. Because like today I will have two trays of exactly 74 deviled eggs. (37 before slicing in half etc) And theyll be gone in the first hr.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,623 Posts
If I have it, I use mayo. If not salad dressing.
I have put mustard in some.
Also horseradish. Garlic flavored.
I use this as a dish to pass for holiday meals.
Rarely bring any back home.

Don't remember using sandwich spread, but if all I had in
the house, yes I would use. Experiment. Try a small mix
on a plate and see how it tastes.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Tell me about the 8 minutes! I hadn't cooked much of anything since my move in 2021. Decided I'd like some deviled eggs. I like using my instant Pot because the shells just jump off.

Well, I thought when I set my cooker that 7 minutes wasn't enough so gave it an extra minute, and got busy with some other stuff. They were done WAY before I thought they should be, so got to thinking, "Gee, that was probably only 8 seconds! They can't be done!" So, turned the pot back on, and went to look for the manual. Found it! The pot doesn't DO seconds, only minutes! So if you add it up, I had 16 minute eggs.

You could eat them. The whites were a nice light mocha color, and the yolks looked a little washed out, but they rasred all right, but not as great as they COULD have been. A little sweet curry made them taste better than the Spanish paprika did.

BIG plus, they didn't explode!

Mon

• Wow
Reactions: Pony

·
Premium Member
22,505 Posts
@FarmboyBill, how did those eggs turn out?

Please tell me you weren't reduced to using MW. <gag>

Reactions: altair

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I used to make devilled eggs with Miracle Whip - but a couple years back found some mayo that tastes good. For devilled eggs I prefer the taste of Blue Plate mayo in them.

With the yolks, I add in a little salt, pepper, a small touch of sugar, german mustard, and blue plate mayo. Some smoked paprika or powdered chipotle pepper on top. Every time I make them and take them to a function or dinner - they disappear very quickly. I think they go quickly because they don't taste like the mustard and salt heavy devilled eggs some folks bring to dinners.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts