Devastating ending for us: mummified kids and dam in critical condition

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BucksCtyCowgirl, May 15, 2005.

1. BucksCtyCowgirl

BucksCtyCowgirl Member

I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of a situation like ours. Our nigerian dwarf doe was due today (her first kidding, as well as ours). Went into labor yesterday, things were progressing normally. This morning, after she started passing the opaque mucus strings, etc, she just never progressed. No straining, pushing, etc. The vet came and felt inside her (still thinking perhaps things were progressing normally, but worried it was taking a little long), and felt feet. He said from the feel of things, the safest thing for her was a c-section back at the clinic. The situation just wasn't quite right. He had the kids out at the clinic immediately. 3 kids - but 2 were completely "mummified" (were about 6 inches long, had stopped developing a while back, and had shrunken). The other kid was newly dead, but looked close to normal size. The vet has been in large animal practice for 35 years and had never come upon mummified goats -- he'd seen it in pigs, horses, etc, but not goats. He said the toxicity caused by the mummies would have weakened the other kid and also probably explained why labor had not progressed normally. The situation had also weakened the doe's uterus, but they said a hysterectomy would be too much for her right now. They sewed her up, are keeping her at the clinic to watch over night and gave her about a 60% chance of pulling through. We have only 2 goats, and this happening to her is just devastating to us. Our kids were so excited about the new kids arriving. We had everything ready for them, and my 10-year old daughter especially is just devastated. Have you heard of this situation before?

2. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

Once, about 3 years ago we had a mummified kid. It was one of twins and was in second place. The first born is now three and a super terrific angora buck with no ill effects. The doe has gone on to kid each succesive year with twins and has had no difficulty. Goats have a remarkable ability to rebound so don't give up on her.

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I'm Sorry this happened to you, Expecially for your first ever kidding.
    I have heard of this a lot, but never had to deal with it. Mummified kids rarely happen, and you will probally never have to see it again. Your Vet hasn't even ever seen it!
    Cats, or to be more specific Kittens in the barn are very bad for goats, if kittens live near your goats or sleep in their manger, or the guy you buy hay from has them, They can pass toxmosis, and this is the usual cause of a mumification, from what I've heard. Older cats are more amune to toxmosis and aren't such a threat since they've had it as kittens. Remember If you've ever been pregnant the warnings on Cats litter boxes and Toxmosis? This is why we don't own barn cats. On our Reg dairy goat farm they are viewed as Vermin.

4. BucksCtyCowgirl

BucksCtyCowgirl Member

I've heard that about cats, too. But we don't have any cats, and there is no way for cats to have access to our goat area. Thanks for the thought though.

5. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

A neighbor's cat can use the hay or sleeping area and cause you trouble. If you are interested in researching this disease, it is "toxoplasmosis", but I agree with some others, it sounds just like a freak. It is her first kidding, give her another shot down the road if she recovers properly. We are neighbors, I live in NJ. I went to school at DVC! I too raise Nigerians. Small world huh? Good luck.

6. SherrieC

Oops! Of course it is I must have had a blonde moment, my birthday is this week I must be getting old :D

I love those little Nigerian dwarfs, I've long admired them... They are precious!

7. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I've had this happen to my goats more than once. It was especially bad during one year when a barn cat had inhabited the barn and had pooped on some of the hay. Once the cat was gone, no more dead rotten kids! I think it was toxoplasmosis. I had never had it before then, and haven't had it happen since, but that year, it happened to at least three does, and one of them was a total nightmare and mess.

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

A doe of mine last year kidded with a perfectly normal doeling, then nothing, no progression, no placenta. I am not one to wait around so went in, immediatly knew that whatever it was in the doe was not an alive kid. Went in and pulled 3 mummied kids, the fluid around them and the placenta's were completely normal. I did flush her uterus after she passed the placenta's with antibiotics and gave her shots of oxytocin to clean. She kidded with a healthy buckling this year...and with a single kid it was dejavu all over again, I was almost afraid to check the uterus this time :) But it was nothing, she cleaned fine, went on to get her first milking leg this year and also scored a EEEE 91 on her appraisal this last weekend.

So unless the vet did damage during the C section she can go on to kid uneventfully for you next year, even vaginally after her C section. vicki

9. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Just wondering about cats- is the crap the problem or is it the cat itself? In other words, if they had a litter box in a different area then the goats, would it affect them?

10. SherrieC

I beleive its the Poo, but who are You to tell a "Cat" where to go? :haha: I've know a few cats and they are very "Superior minded"