Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog died.

She was quite old (over 100 in human equivalent) and this wasn't unexpected... but we didn't notice when she went missing as she's an outside dog and roams at will. The smell finally led me to her, and by then decomposition was well on it's way. I've been trying to look online and find a resource that describes maggot growth and time frame it takes, and all I get are generalizations.

From the fact that some of the maggots had already reached pupae stage, that tells me she could have been dead from 4-11 days. Her skin was falling off, too, though- and that should tell me something, but I don't know how soon that happens. She was also surrounded by a pool of brown goo.

The temperature has had highs and lows of upper 90's to upper 70's.

Does anyone know how long this condition takes to get to at hot temps? We just wonder how bad we were at not noticing she was gone.... We think we saw her early last week, but it's so hard to remember *not* seeing one dog out of three.

She is buried now. I'm SO glad our tractor has a front loader- she was probably 70-80 lbs when alive and my husband is out of town and I had to handle the job by myself.

Poor old dog. We will miss her. We SHOULD have missed her sooner. :(

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Sorry about your dog. She wasn't dead more than a week, most like.

At the risk of making a bad situation worse, I want to add that I hope you're using this as a learning experience to keep a closer eye on your other dogs. The wondering about how long she's been dead isn't near as useful as the question of "how long did it take her to die out there all alone?" With even a young dog an injury can occur where they can't get back to you for aid.

If you can't find a dog at feeding time, best be prepared to go out all night with a flashlight.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They eat out of a bin feeder behind the house whenever they want, there isn't a "feeding time". :shrug: They usually greet us every morning, but since she'd gone completely deaf, she'd been missing the morning "hello". We've missed her a couple of other times in the past, and gone looking and she was just sleeping in the chicken shed but couldn't hear us calling.

I don't think she was injured, as she was only 20 feet from the house. She was just very, very old.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
You warned me, but I still opened it up when I was eating my lunch!!!!! Good thing I can take "gross".

I was kind of wondering if you had found a body and was trying to figure out when the person died!!!!! "Why doesn't she call the police and let them investigate it?!?" but of course I have a strange and odd sense of humor!

Can't help you with any details other than to say that temperature also determines how quickly things progress. But I'm guessing your dog probably died about 3 or 4 days ago.

At any rate, sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
I am so sorry she expired, I know how hard it is to loose the dogs you love, and it is something we all face. I am just as guilty, I don't check on ours every single day, we are so used to seeing them run along the fence line or hear them bark. and DH feeds them every night, so I depend of him, too. In these hot temps, she probably wasn't gone over a few days. She was a lucky dog, she was loved all her life. ((Hugs))

·
Registered
203 Posts
sorry about your dog. ive got two old dogs that are going down fast. front end loaders are so handy. my dogs are too heavy for me to lift and without a doubt i will need to dig the hole and carry the dog(s) to the burial area in the front end loader.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ernie said:
Sorry about your dog. She wasn't dead more than a week, most like.

At the risk of making a bad situation worse, I want to add that I hope you're using this as a learning experience to keep a closer eye on your other dogs. The wondering about how long she's been dead isn't near as useful as the question of "how long did it take her to die out there all alone?" With even a young dog an injury can occur where they can't get back to you for aid.

If you can't find a dog at feeding time, best be prepared to go out all night with a flashlight.
Some older dogs WILL go off to die. I've had two do that to me, and yes, I did go looking for them. If these were "penned in the backyard" dogs, your comments might not be so offensive. A number of different species will seek out privacy and go off alone when their time comes. A gracious apology to the OP from you would be in order.

·
Banned
3,368 Posts
PlowGirl said:
Some older dogs WILL go off to die. I've had two do that to me, and yes, I did go looking for them. If these were "penned in the backyard" dogs, your comments might not be so offensive. A number of different species will seek out privacy and go off alone when their time comes. A gracious apology to the OP from you would be in order.
Very true. When I was a kid we had an old deaf, almost fully blind beagle that went off to die. We never found her and we looked for over a week. I walked miles looking for poor old Bitsy :Bawling:

Michelle

·
Premium Member
23,923 Posts
Maria, I am sure your old gal had a good, long, happy life. She had the run of the place, she had food and good care, she had companionship. Other dogs should live so well -- in fact, I wish I could do as well by my old guy.

Please don't beat yourself up over this. You gave her a good life, and now that life has run its course.

I'm sorry for your loss, and pray that you will heal, and that the good memories of her will replace the grief in your heart.

Pony!

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
An old farmer once told me that a "good" dog will always go off to die.

My old hound did that last year and if it hadn't been for the neighbor seeing him stagger off into a swamp he would have pulled it off. As it was we got him back while he was still alive and he died within 2 hours in the house.

If the neighbors hadn't seen him I never would have found him.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
No, I won't apologize. I said what I said out of love for animals and good stewardship and in the gentlest manner I could think of. And I am genuinely sorry for the loss of anyone's pet, especially with the memory of my own still fresh in my mind.

I've had a number of dogs die on me, in my lifetime so far, and only one have I ever had to go hunting for. Most of them, even the heavily injured ones who had been hit by automobiles, tried to crawl back home to die.

A good dog will lay down its life for you. That's worth going out hunting at night for, and certainly worth taking a head count at supper time. I can't sleep at night if so much as a chicken isn't accounted for and I'll prowl the farm all night with flashlight in hand until I find the bird or a pile of feathers.

I don't really see a distinction between livestock and pets. On the farm, every animal has its own role and responsibility. The dogs guard and herd, the cats keep the pest population down, the chickens lay eggs and eventually become food. But they are all contributors and I'm the steward. When I took on the responsibility of steward, I knew it might mean some sleepless nights, or going out in the freezing cold to pull a calf, or getting my shin kicked in by a creature that doesn't understand the routine. And I don't sleep at night until everyone is accounted for, whether it's one of my kids or one of my chickens.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Hey Maria, your dog died the best possible death a dog can have! When my elderly dogs get ready, they often find a comfortable place, lie down (usually facing west, I have noticed), put their heads down and wait for it to happen.

As far as I am concerned, that's how I want to die.

Best doggy death possible.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Ernie said:
No, I won't apologize. I said what I said out of love for animals and good stewardship and in the gentlest manner I could think of. And I am genuinely sorry for the loss of anyone's pet, especially with the memory of my own still fresh in my mind.

I've had a number of dogs die on me, in my lifetime so far, and only one have I ever had to go hunting for. Most of them, even the heavily injured ones who had been hit by automobiles, tried to crawl back home to die.

A good dog will lay down its life for you. That's worth going out hunting at night for, and certainly worth taking a head count at supper time. I can't sleep at night if so much as a chicken isn't accounted for and I'll prowl the farm all night with flashlight in hand until I find the bird or a pile of feathers.

I don't really see a distinction between livestock and pets. On the farm, every animal has its own role and responsibility. The dogs guard and herd, the cats keep the pest population down, the chickens lay eggs and eventually become food. But they are all contributors and I'm the steward. When I took on the responsibility of steward, I knew it might mean some sleepless nights, or going out in the freezing cold to pull a calf, or getting my shin kicked in by a creature that doesn't understand the routine. And I don't sleep at night until everyone is accounted for, whether it's one of my kids or one of my chickens.
I'll say this as gently as I can. Why are your dogs running around in the road and getting hit?

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Off topic, but we've had two dogs hit in our driveway up by our house (our driveway is a half mile long). Even though we posted signs warning about the dogs, people do NOT drive slow or watch for them. One survived after we spent a massive amount on veterinary bills. The other was killed instantly (which broke my husband's heart as she was his little girl). We now have a locked gate across the driveway to keep EVERYONE off our property.

Where did Ernie say his dogs were running around in the road?

·
Premium Member
23,923 Posts
Ed Norman said:
I'll say this as gently as I can. Why are your dogs running around in the road and getting hit?
Thank you. I was spluttering and fuming, so very much appreciate your level-headed question.

Pony!

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Maria,
I'm sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a friend.

Count the poultry every night? I don't even know how many we have! Some roost in various places in the barn, some in the chicken house, some in the other chicken house, some in various the trees. Some are off setting on nests. I'd drive myself nuts!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
No kidding, Cyndi! I could spend the rest of my life looking for barn cats that are in a coyote's belly.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
My cat (our only one) went missing for over two weeks. I spent exactly zero seconds looking for it. The cat came back (as they always seem to) two weeks later and a pound or two lighter.

Had I noticed an objectionable smell near the house I would have investigated, and it could well have been our cat. Some people have the time to treat their animals and their children the same. I do not.

Pete

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.