Desperately Seeking Onions!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Heritage, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Heritage

Heritage Well-Known Member

I have just read about Egyptian Walking Onions and Yellow Multiplier Onions (Potato Onions) and have been looking for some. It appears that I have waited too long as they are sold out of these. Some required orders prior to Sept. 15. I would really like to try these in my garden this year and would appreciate it if any of you that might have some of these would sell them to me. I really don't have anything to trade (not been gardening long at all) except maybe some Dogwood seeds. I would appreciate it if any of you can help me! Thanks so much, I am really looking forward to hearing back from you!

2. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken they put off babies in July/August. I bought mine off ebay in August. I'm really excited about these. You may have to wait until next year.

3. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I hope Paquebot checks in; he raises several varieties and can steer you to the best. The ones I've had for over 15 years aren't great; I use them only when I'm out of regular onions. I probably should pay more attention to dividing them but...

katy

4. Heritage

Paquebot, I would love some of each of those if you could arrange it. I tried Territorial and they had a September 15th deadline for orders. Do you have the bulbils or seed? If you could simply let me know how much you need, I'll be glad to pay you promptly. If you take PayPal that would work perfectly, or I could send a Money Order or check, I'll work around you. Thank you so much!!!

Like SquashNut, I'm curious about the flavor. What is the difference between the three you have and then say a Vidalia sweet onion? How well do they keep? If I planted all three should I worry about them crossing? I'm really looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks!!!

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Walking onions are grown primarily for eating as scallions. In some parts of the country, they are called spring onions since they are quick to come up as soon as frost is out. If left to reproduce on their own, the bulbils take root and become fall onions. There are several vendors at our local farmers market who now have them and few can tell them from a seeded onion.

Although they all do make bulbs, they are more like a small shallot and thus not usually large enough to fool with. But then, I've seen some of the Egyptians and Catawissas produce a bulb around golf ball size so they can do it.

Since their main use is as a green onion, they can be used for anything which requires onions for cooking. Heritage Sweet is supposed to be sweeter than the other two but I can't see much difference. They are more tender since there are so many of them possible from a single bulb or bulbil. None of the 3 are really overpowering such as some of their wilder cousins.

All 3 can be grown in one monstrous tangle if one so wished. They'd never cross in a thousand years since they do not ever produce seeds! Just as with their garlic cousins, their only method of multiplying is via bulb division and topset bulbils.

Martin

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Paquebot, I would love some of your onions, if you have enough. I am interested in the Catawissa and the Heritage Sweet. Let me know how much $$ to zip code 57276 and how you would like to be payed.

If you would be interested, I over ordered garlic, so I have some leftover (softneck - Polish White and Inchellium Red). I have already broken the cloves apart, just last Friday when I was planting.

7. Paquebot

Jas, can do with the Cats and Sweets! Plenty of both of those on hand. Postage would be .83 and bubble envelope adds another .19 for $1.02 actual cost. Anything over that makes me happy and helps cover the E85 ethanol fuel that my Ford pickup needs to get to the PO and back! Contact me with a mailing address and I'll have them in the mail tomorrow.

Oh, don't need any garlic. About 25 varieties planted already, if my memory serves me correctly!

Martin

8. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I would just love some, too...but you probably ran out by now. Actually, I have some back at my place in South Dakota, but it is not cost effective for me to drive almost 4 hours one way...Stupid stuff one does not think of when they move. I always thought of them as being most wonderful in the spring before anything else is doing it's thing. Deb

9. Heritage

25 varieties of Garlic?!?!?!? Wow. I thought I was doing pretty good by planting the ever popular Wal-Mart Produce Dept. variety of garlic. I've planted quite a few of them, don't know how good they'll do. Is there a particular garlic that you like best? Good keeper? I didn't even know there was 25 varieties of garlic! :)

10. Paquebot

Deb, no worry about running out of the Catawissa and Heritage Sweets for awhile. Probably have enough of the Cats to plant a row between here and there! Offer open to anyone who can use them. Contact via e-mail with a mailing address, if that feature is currently working.

/// E-mail feature NOT working, again! Admin notified. Please use the Private Message feature instead. //

Heritage, I could tell you what the absolute best garlic there is but you can't get it. There's not enough of Martin's out there yet! It's the one which I've been growing since 1982. After recently getting it to a lot of serious garlic growers, none available now until next year.

Martin

11. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Thanks Paquebot!!!! I will contact you via PM.

Heritage, I got some of my garlic from a place in Virgina. They had a good price and the garlic I got was very nice. Here is a link to their garlic page:

http://www.riverfarmkikos.com/garlic.htm

Now, I wish they could mail a few Kiko goats...

12. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Thank you so much, Martin. Mine came today. I am thrilled. Deb

13. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

I have to chime in here :D I got some of the Catawissa walking onions from Martin last fall. I planted them right away. They have already taken over the area they are in and are spreading :clap: I have harvested some and they are yummy! They also like neglect I have found :D

I had more than enough bulbs to replant what I dug up and share with my mom and grandma!

Thank you again Martin!!

14. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I really wanted some Egyptian walking onions and I ordered those and some others from Southern Exposure in the early summer. They deliver these items in the Fall. In September I fnally contacted them. I am in Zone 2 and we have frost and snow about mid-October most years.
    They said they would send them right out, but they didn't. I got them too late for Fall planting. So my question is: how can I store them for the Winter and still successfully plant thme in the Spring?
    TIA!
    Blessings, Jillis

15. Paquebot

Egyptian bulbils are usually all quite large. Thus they would have enough energy stored in them to remain alive in dry winter storage. However, I would disagree that it is too late to plant them now. One of the features of Egyptians and Catawissas is their hardiness, which includes Zone 3. If planted now, they'd only need 10 days to 2 weeks to begin a good root system. In their natural settings, the bulbils are often only now getting a chance to begin growing. If one were worried after planting now, they could be mulched with several inches of straw or shredded leaves. However, unlike garlic which will grow up through almost any form of mulch, onions are more tender and much of the mulch would need to be removed in the spring. That's why I am not recommending heavy mulching of those which I'm sending out now.

Martin