Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To not completely hijack another thread........

If you could design your own flora or fauna, what would it be?

I've always wanted to grow superfast maturing square stemmed pine trees, genetically modified with long carbon fibers, growing in nice 8', 10', 12', etc. lengths, limbfree to that length. So, in two years growth, you cut the tree down, top the limbs, peel the bark, and it's ready to slice into boards, no waste...

Someone else mentioned sheep the size of buffaloes.

In food, I'd like to see corn grow 1/4 the height, with cobs the size of large watermelons, with seeds the size of apples... what the heck, add all the vitamins and proteins needed for a complete diet.

Chickens the size of hogs, with monster breasts the size of whole turkeys, and for buffalo wing fans, a couple dozen buffalo wings as a side species.

Of course, you can't beat Schmoos (for lil abner aficionadoes) :angel: .

What would you design?

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
hmmm. interesting question.

I would design a tomato plant that would grow like a dwarf fruit tree about 7 ft. tall and loaded with tomatoes easy to pick, just like it would be picking from a ripe apple tree. Would only need to plant one. Might as well make it a hardy perennial at that. lol

I don't know if there can be much better done on the fast growing broilers that I grew to 7 lb. in 8.5 weeks. They are much tastier than store bought. Perhaps I'd make them so they would grow a dozen sets of wings. I love chicken wings!

I think a neat cross would be cataloupes and peaches. Maybe call the fruit a peachaloupe. It could grow on a tree, like a peach tree with the size of about 3 lb. melons with edible rinds. Now wouldn't that make just about the best jam you could ever think of? :shrug:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I'd like my chickens to have multiple drumsticks that would break off like a lizzards tail. Snap a few off and let them grow back. Hey pigs the same way, break off a ham or strip off a side of bacon. As the saying goes, an animal that good you don't eat all at one time.
I'd like a lot of my garden plants to be perenials. Beans, corn, taters, ect. I'd like to be able to plant them once, prune them every winter, then just pick through the season. Sure would make it easy to keep nice beds.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i would like to have morels that grow for 9 months out of the year.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
texican said:
Chickens the size of hogs, with monster breasts the size of whole turkeys, and for buffalo wing fans, a couple dozen buffalo wings as a side species.

What would you design?
Chickens the size of hogs eh? Wouldn't that make it a little difficult carry a dozen eggs? Speaking of which, think of all of the recipes that call for one egg. Dang that would take a big oven to bake those big whatevers.

Breakfast---I'm not too hungry. I think I'll have just one egg.

As to another post about crossing cantaloupe and peaches. I'd rather have oranges crossed with peaches. Almost instant fuzzy navels.

How about large grapes that yield a glassful of juice from each squeezed grape?

Disease free plants that are totally insect resistant that bear fruit year around even in the snow belt. Whee!

Trees that completely provide shade for a house during the summer yet allow full winter sun to add solar heat. Kentucky Coffee Bean tree is about the closest that I know of.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
MELOC said:
i would like to have morels that grow for 9 months out of the year.
well, that too. But you DO mean 'fruit' and not just 'grow', right? lol
A cross between a morel and chanterelle might be interesting also.
On the 'tree' theme, though I would prefer to have an orchard of trees producing morels as the fruit to pick.....hundreds of them per tree....and for nine months of the year......and ones that could freeze well. Not asking much, eh? .....rotflmao

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
it's ok moonwolf...i have a chainsaw. :)

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moonwolf, one of my uncles transplanted his favorite tomato plant into a large pot, put it in his heated garage, grow lighted it, fed it, all the things a person does for their pet tomato plant, and was eating 'maters all winter... put it back out in the garden the next spring... by then it was like a small dwarf fruit tree...

farmerwilly 2, like the idea'r about 'lizard' parts on animals... pinch the drumstick, and another'd grow back. Have heard about the three legged pigs before... wish my folks had known about such an operation back when I was a kid... maybe my pet sow would have been amongst the living for a few more years...

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Jennifer L. said:
Rose, they've already got those. :)

http://www.piercecollege.edu/faculty/shapirls/naked_chicken.htm

They were developed in Israel.

Jennifer
I'll bet that skin gets really tough. When the food folk tell us to not eat the skin I expect someone with those chickens would agree.

Really tough chicken skin. I see boots made of about everything else--Hey, how about those new chicken skin boots? Bull hide, snake skin, lizard, alligator----but who would brag about their chicken skin boots?

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
texican said:
To not completely hijack another thread........

If you could design your own flora or fauna, what would it be?

I've always wanted to grow superfast maturing square stemmed pine trees, genetically modified with long carbon fibers, growing in nice 8', 10', 12', etc. lengths, limbfree to that length. So, in two years growth, you cut the tree down, top the limbs, peel the bark, and it's ready to slice into boards, no waste...

Someone else mentioned sheep the size of buffaloes.

In food, I'd like to see corn grow 1/4 the height, with cobs the size of large watermelons, with seeds the size of apples... what the heck, add all the vitamins and proteins needed for a complete diet.

Of course, you can't beat Schmoos (for lil abner aficionadoes) :angel: .

What would you design?
I'd love a plant that tastes just like mashed potatoes and butter and has all known vitamins and NO CALORIES.

A plant that grows wool (and never has to be watered) would be nice too. LOL

donsgal

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
How about a tree that grows milk fruit. Pick one and juice it for a glass of nice fresh whole milk.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Eew, Rose! Bad idea, bad idea! *shudder* LOL.

I dunno about giant chickens and sheep.. I'm thinking giant fences/coops and giant feed bills; and can you imagine shearing day? Heh.

Suppose I wish I could speed up the garden process; wouldn't it be great to plant a non-fiddled around with, heirloom seed Tuesday, and by next Thursday be harvesting gorgeous veggies/fruit?

Texican, I have to ask... three legged pigs... tell me that doesn't mean what I think it does; does it?

Loving the garden ideas, and wouldn't a milk tree be the best ever; maybe different varieties, some give good fresh milk, others you slice open and scoop out butter, cheese, or yogurt. I would have to grow a few of those!

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jen74145 said:
Texican, I have to ask... three legged pigs... tell me that doesn't mean what I think it does; does it?
You never heard the old joke, about a travelling salesman driving up to a farmers house, and asking what happened to the three legged pig? The farmer tells several variations... one is that the pig is a family pet, and he saved the families life, when it rushed into the burning house, and pulled everyone out, (several variations of pig saving a life), and everyone knows you don't eat a pig that special all at once.

copied this one.........
The Three-legged Pig
A preacher visiting his flock in the country happens to see a pig walking around on 3 legs. The preacher stopped by and asked the farmer. My son, what's with your pig with only 3 legs?
Well preacher says the farmer, this pig is very special to my family and me, well just 2 months ago, I'm working underneath my tractor, the jack fell and the tractor was crushing me. I yelled and my pig rushed to my rescue, dug me out and pulled me away from the tractor.
Well that's very commentable says the preacher..but..
That's not all preacher, last week my house caught fire and my pig pulled my 2 young daughters to safety. It even received a hero gold ribbon, from the village mayor.
I understand says the preacher, but that still doesn't explain the missing leg!
Well like I said preacher, this pig is very special to my family and well, we just cannot bring ourselves to eat it all at once.

My pet Henrietta :1pig: lost all her legs at once.... back when the world was young... and my parents were working several jobs each just to make ends meet, and to put meat on the table.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts