Des Moines, Iowa

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Haggis, May 25, 2005.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I have a bull coming from Virginia the 3rd week of June, and some of my family are going down meet the cattle hauler near Des Moines: the hauler is going on to Sedalia, Missouri and wants to transfer the bull in or near Des Moines.

Is anyone here familiar with the area? The bull is halter broke and all that is needed is a few minutes to move him from one vehicle to another. Is there a truck stop or something of that sort near there? We just need to pre-arrange a meeting place for the fellow coming from Virginia to meet my family coming from Minnesota.

Thanks a heap.

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Flying J Travel Plaza
    11820 Hickman Road
    Clive (suburb of Des Moines)

This truck stop is right off of I-35/80 at the Hickman exit (the Living History Farms exit). It's just to the west of the interstate and there's a great big sign. If they are stopping there near meal time and want a great place to eat there's the Machine Shed Resturant just on the other side of the interstate on Hickman. I'll try to think of any other good spots, but that's the best I can do right now.

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

you have Blosselmans at the i 80/35 split its a pilot oil fuel stop and it has plenty of parking but the food is expensive and not the best. there are numerous other places to remember Des Moines is a collage town hope all works out

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Thanks a heap! I'll see what I can do with this information. It sounds like a couple of good choices for the swap and places to eat.

5. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

You gotta eat at the machine shed resturant. Just like those home cooked meals grandma made. HUge portions resonably priced. Also next door to Living History Farms, kinda neat. It is setup with a pioneer farm, turn of the century farm, and other historic ag stuff. Also has livestock and grass in case the boy gets away ( maybe you can sell them one of those Dexter or is it Devon??). We are about an hour and half away from Des Moine in case you want to pick up a jersey bull calf or two for next year. Also is a rest stop just North of Des Moine on I 35 There is a lot of road construction inside Des MOine on I 235 and some on I 80 and I35, heres a link that may help.
    http://www.dot.state.ia.us./maintenance/index.htm

6. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I80 and I35 are pretty much clear right now, but God forbid, DO NOT get on I235! It's narrow and horrible right now, believe me I drive on it 4-5 times a week! The only problem with the rest area would be getting turned around. It's a split area and if you were headed south you have to continue south and vice versa.

Unfortunately I can't think of large animal vet clinics and there are no sale barns close to the Interstate at Des Moines. The closest clinic would probably be ISU vet school in Ames. Maybe you could bring a couple of gates or panels and back the trailers close together to keep everybody safe.

7. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

In a perfect world the guy coming from the state of Virginia would be able to drop the bull at a barn for a few hours, and then my kids could bring him home the next day. As it is, they will have to drive down and back at a go; it's maybe 800 miles round trip. It's kind of strange; he's coming from the state of Virginia, and my kids are driving down from Virginia, Minnesota, a town named for the state.

I worry about my kids driving so far, but they are good to me, and wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe I can get them to drive down a day early so they can get a night's sleep before heading home.

The bull is coming from Mt. Vernon. It seems that George Washington kept a herd of Milking Devons for milk and draft on his plantation, and there is a small herd kept there today used for the same purposes. The sire of this bull is from Colonial Williamsburg where they also use the breed for its original purpose. He is a young bull but old enough and large enough to use this summer on my Jerseys and Milking Devons.

I had planned to take an AI class in June, but the cost of the class, the cost of staying away from home, the fact that I can not be trusted to leave home and stay anyplace, the cost of the semen, the freezer, the low success rate of AI, and the list goes on, convinced me that another bull is the best way for me to go.

Both Colonial Williamsburg and Mt. Vernon have breeding programs geared around preserving the original type of Devonshire cattle with a priority given to neither milk, beef, or draft, but aiming for a balance between the three; as it should be.

8. Oldotaku

Oldotaku Member

You might try calling over to the Iowa State Fairgrounds (515/262-3111 (ext. 203)) and see if you could use one of their show rings. If you come in from the East, via I-80 to highway 65 to highway 163/University Drive, you should be able to avoid the construction.

If you have a disaster happen, the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine emergency numbers are 515-294-4900 and/or 515-294-1500 (24 hours). Call ahead to let them know you're coming. To get there, follow the route above back to I-80, then go North on I-35 to highway 30. Go West on 30 to Pammel Drive, turn right, turn right again at 16th Street, and right again onto Vet Med's private drive. Hope you won't need to use it. :)

Oldotaku