Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
E. WA - USDA Zone 5b
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has a 4 yo Romney ewe who has just been really depressed this week. We have about 50 inches of snow on the ground (that depresses me too!!) and she just won't come out of the barn. We leave the door open for her to come out sometimes and she just won't. We have shoveled around the barn door so she could at least get out and stretch her legs but she won't. She's also eating very, very little. And last night and this morning she didn't eat at all (Her usual diet is an alfalfa/grass hay mix and a handful of dry COB).

I raise goats so, admittedly, I don't quite know what do for her. If it were my goat, I would give it a shot of Vitamin B Complex to boost energy and appetite - can I do the same for a sheep?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yes, absolutely start with the vitamin B injections.

Look on this previous thread for other suggestions.
http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=283109

One thing left out of that one would also include checking her teeth.
Smell her breath and carefully check for any loose teeth....watch out not to get your fingers between those molars !

Is she all by herself ?
Is she bred, if so when is she due ?

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Act faster than you might with goats but medicate them basically the same. I use the caffeign in coffee to stimulate appitite laced with sugars (corn syrup ) but I'm going to guess you either need a wormer or an antibiotic fairly quickly.... maybe both

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
yep, Ross done beat me to it, we use an instant coffee, Kyro syrup and something else for the fast sugars.

But my wife also makes up a wheat germ, yogurt thing to help get the stomache active again. I think the yogurt has to be active cultures, and the wheat germ needs to be something... I forgot.. someone on here will know.

I just hate it whne you see someone asking for help and there are few replys but like 40 or 50 or more hits from people looking. I mean, I know they may not be able to offer anything helpful, but when you're the one asking, ...it just looks bad....

Good luck

·
Registered
953 Posts
Slev, many may check the thread, see that sound and learned advice has already been given, and not feel the need to muddy the water with additional thoughts or comments. (But then again, we may be dumb founded by the thought of having to deal with 50 inches of snow!)

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Slev, Mawalla has got it right. I can't even comprehend 50" of snow to start with!

Is the ewe in lamb, when is she due, when was she last drenched, have the gums and eyes been checked for colour, does her breath have a sweet smell, what is her condition?

Mawalla, believe me I am not trying to muddy the waters (and I do know what you mean) but as many of you have in lamb ewes at this time of the year, I would seriously be looking at Sleepy Sickness (Pregnancy Toxaemia), the first signs of which are dullness, off feed, reluctance to move and separation from the rest of the mob. If this is a distinct possibility, get on to your vet or someone knowledgable as there are products on the market designed to rapidly bring the ewe around - I'm not going to suggest anything as our brand names will be different. Also ask what you should be feeding her for high energy/high protein. Because we grass farm I would be putting her on to the best pasture I had but with 50" of snow that obviously isn't an option:rolleyes:

I offer that as a possibility and not as a prognosis; the vet is going to be the best one to do that and if the ewe is worth a vet call, that will be the best way to go.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
150 mls or so. Kinda depends on size. Coffee is a diuretic (is that spelled right?) so I wouldn't over do it. You could follow up with a drench of electrolites.

·
E. WA - USDA Zone 5b
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your responses, folks. She's not doing much better today. She's getting very weak.

No, she’s not bred. She’s pretty much just my mom’s pet. So, that may eliminate some problems.

I’m going to give Vit. B and try an oral drench of electrolytes – if that doesn’t get her going, I could tube feed her an electrolyte solution (I’ve had to do this on goats before)

I’m getting ready to go take her temp now. I’ll update later.

Also, if her temp is high – is it appropriate to give her a dose of Penicillin G? That’s the only antibiotic I’ve got on hand

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I would call anything from 102 and up a fever if its at all cold there because shes not eating. If it's not a fever I'd expect a lower than normal temp. If PenG is what you have then thats what you're going to use. You could add an expectorant to the drench (adult human dose) even if it has an antihistamine in it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If you have a bag of fluids, it would be the best to give her sub -q fluids.
If you only have Penn, give her a hefty dose.
Also, do you have any banamine or even buffered aspirin ?
If you talk to your vet, Dexamethazone might get her feeling better, as long as you also give her the antibiotic.

I would also drench with oatmeal mixed with yogurt or probiotic to give her some nutrition.

·
E. WA - USDA Zone 5b
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, our sheep is just not getting better! I've given her 2 injections of Vitamin B complex, an injection of Penn-G, several oral drenches of electrolyte solution, and several oral drenches of yogurt mixed with extra ProBios.

She's not getting worse, just not any better, either. She's also staggering when she walks. Her temp 102.2 and she's in a pretty warm barn.

I don't know how to give fluids SQ - is it like an IV?

She gobbled down the yogurt really well - didn't object at all. But the only thing we can get her to eat on her own is snow.

I wish we could take her to the vet, but I don't think we could pull our trailer in all this snow. The roads are terrible.

I'm worried....

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Have you checked the whites of her eyes for good colour in the veins? What is her weight/condition like? When was she wormed last?

·
E. WA - USDA Zone 5b
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately, her eyelids are very light pink/white. She is almost 200 pounds, she is just a very solid sheep - doesn't seem scrawny AT ALL!

I have a sinking feeling that this a parasite situation. To be honest, I don't think my mom was worming her regularly. I'm not sure when the last time was.

Should we worm her now? I can get things down her throat easily. Or should we wait til she seems a bit stronger?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Well, our sheep is just not getting better! I've given her 2 injections of Vitamin B complex, an injection of Penn-G, several oral drenches of electrolyte solution, and several oral drenches of yogurt mixed with extra ProBios.

She's not getting worse, just not any better, either. She's also staggering when she walks. Her temp 102.2 and she's in a pretty warm barn.

I don't know how to give fluids SQ - is it like an IV?

She gobbled down the yogurt really well - didn't object at all. But the only thing we can get her to eat on her own is snow.

I wish we could take her to the vet, but I don't think we could pull our trailer in all this snow. The roads are terrible.

I'm worried....
Are you sure she isnt dehydrated? Have you been offering fresh warm water a few times a day?
Sheep/goats drink a lot in winter and can go off feed if they are not drinking enough.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I have better luck using Safeguard than other wormers on sick ewes. I'd try to drench in some sugar and coffee to boost her energy first but I wouldn't delay treating for worms.

·
E. WA - USDA Zone 5b
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you sure she isnt dehydrated? Have you been offering fresh warm water a few times a day?
Sheep/goats drink a lot in winter and can go off feed if they are not drinking enough.
Yes, sorry I should've clarified - just now during this incident over the past few days she's just eating snow while she's feeling bad.

She gets access to plenty of heated clean water, with hot water added to it several times a day. She's just refusing it right now.

Also regarding coffee - doesn't the caffeine further supress appetite and act as a diuretic making her more dehydrated?

I think she's really dehydrated right now. I'm drenching fluids down her throat via a drenching gun, but I'm just afraid its not enough :(

Her temp is the same. I've been giving her yogurt with ProBios and Karo Syrup, more Vitamin B, and PennG again today. I can't believe that there hasn't been any progress (visible to me any way) better or worse and it's been several days. Just weird.

·
E. WA - USDA Zone 5b
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, I gave her Levamisole, although I do have some Safeguard for goats. Should I give her that, too?

Thanks again so much for all your help, folks.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Coffee is a stimulent and boosts appitite (as suggested by my vet years ago and seems true in practice) but yes it is a diuretic. Levamisole is good stuff and no I wouldn't reworm with Safeguard right after treating with the first.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts