Denver Pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Misty, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gonza...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
    Here are some pictures of my son's show pigs for National Western Stockshow in Denver in 2 weeks. The duroc is at 270 and we are holding because of a weight limit of 280. The hamp is at 235 and we will try to keep her there. Better chance of winning a class in lower weight class. You must be first to make the sale in Denver. The duroc is going to be running with the big boys with the higher classes. We bought younger hogs for that reason, but those durocs just grow too fast. The pictures go from most recent to when we first brought them home...

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Thanks for posting the pictures, they sure look nice. Well See ya, bye.

3. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

An awesome set of hogs! i think you shoudl do well with the duroc...Will you be shaving them? I think they woudl look great either way..When did have them due to make them big enough for show?? One of my class mates will be there judgeing horses for out 4-H state team...Good luck and keep us posted on how you do!!
    Aj

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

yes, we always clip. I am worried the duroc does not have a good enough top. But for now, lots of electrolytes, two step. The hamp is stiff when she walks...pretty choppy. I wish I could change that about her. Tell your friend judging good luck...the kids do livestock judging, but not at stockshow. The practice starts in March. We go through May. We ended up at one of the schools with horse judging going on the same day...can't remember where though. Sterling maybe.

5. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

I really like the duroc best of luck

6. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

thank you very much...

7. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Lovely pigs Buck. I'm not in the slightest bit interested in showing but wish you luck with yours. Wish you were somewhat closer because I wouldn't mind a Hampshire - they are somewhat hard to come by here.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

8. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

They're lovely pigs, the duroc in particular! Wish you luck!

9. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

We are very fond of the duroc....I wish we were breeding her instead of taking her to a terminal show!! Oh well,,,two litters of good durocs coming up next month hopefully......

10. theporkstork

theporkstork Well-Known Member

I thought you might want to try some feed additives for your gilts to "tone" up the Duroc gilts muscle and to maybe give the Hamp gilt a little more flex in her hind leg movement. First, we feed a product from the Moorman feed company, called Navigator, for 10 days to 2 weeks before a show to give the muscle a little more tone or expression. This isn't paylean but just a high protein top-dress. You can overdo it, so don't feed anymore than is recommended. As for the Hampshire gilt, our local farm store sells a liquid product for horses which is given to help boost the natural fluid in the joints which lubricates them and allows the animals to move more freely. It is called fluidflex. Again, we start feeding this as a topdress about two weeks prior to the show to help ward off the stiffness caused by the trailer ride to the show and the stress that goes along with being moved. Since we've learned of these two items, we always keep it on hand during show season.
    I, too, choose the Duroc breed as my favorite. I follow the pedigrees of the animals that are shown and sold at national type conferences, as well as those that are the top sires in the top showpig boar studs. Also, those breeders that choose to sell semen from their herd boars too. I am curious as to what the pedigrees are of your bred sows and who they were bred to and also the pedigrees of the gilts going to Denver? Most of our Duroc females are bred to Shipley's boar named Ox.
    We have 22 sows and gilts bred for spring showpig litters. 10 Poland Chinas, 7 Durocs, and the rest Yorkshires. All are bred for purebreds except 1 York. She is bred to a Duroc. And all were AI'd. We have had 2 litters so far, a York gilt farrowed 7 and a Poland sow farrowed 9. Next week, however, we have 7 due in a 5 day period. That will keep us hopping for a while, LOL. It's always exciting though to see what the new litters will look like and how many will give the impression of a potential champion. Sorry I'm so long-winded. I just enjoy talking and thinking about pigs :) The Pork Stork

11. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Porkstork...we are feeding the duroc navigator. I wll take pics again this weekend. She gets about 3#paylean, the 11256, 8oz navigator, 3oz of 3-D and 2oz of Two Step from Premier Nutrition technologies. The hamp is getting the two step also (after trying the rest). She is that 18% with 5% fat, 3oz of the 3D oil also. I know the hair is sure getting pretty. The duroc is changing every day. Se has that "soft muscle". This duroc is out of Lean Value's Now Or Never. Don't know the dams side.
    The two we have bred are 1. a Red October bred to Freightliner from PSS. I really how deep his loin and ham are, she is wide as can be. She is full sib to one of the class winners at the Colo State Fair. 2. is a gilt we bought from Rick Whitman, Luxor is her sire and she is bred to Red Man from Torpedo Farms. Zach and Nick Mauro. They have a boar up at Shipley's...that Cattawa Joe. Harry Potter is also part owned by them too. I will post pictures of the litters after they are born. We only run 7 sows, and only 6 of them are bred. Oh well, better luck next year.

12. theporkstork

theporkstork Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with the Prairie State boars Red October and Freightliner. That mating should produce some awesome pigs. I know who the other boars are that you mentioned, but haven't personally seen anything out of either one. Our first Duroc litter is due today from a sow purchased from Center Prairie Genetics, sired by Real World. This will be her third litter and our first litter by Ox. The sow was the reserve Champion gilt at the 2004 Illinois State Fair. She is one of the best Duroc sows that I have had the pleasure to work with. I'll let you know how she does. Her first litter was by DC and one of the gilts from that mating was retained and bred to PSSS Destiny for show barrows. They're due February 14th.
    Who bred your gilt by Now or Never? Seems as though some of the best Duroc boars that have been produced in the last few years have come from either Buchcoltz or Nelson. They had some good ones back in the early 90's too.
    Good luck to you at Denver. Make sure that you take some pictures on show day.

13. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

The Now Or Never gilt was bred by Steve Crane in Pritchett CO. I will for sure take pictures...More today to compare to last week.
    Ox is one massive boar for sure.