Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife went in for some dental work yesterday (getting ready for two crowns), and came home pretty sore. Last night her cheek was VERY sore. This morning the whole side of her face is starting to bruise - quite obvious. Yes, she got several injections, but I've never been beat up so bad after seeing a dentist. Of course, she is someone who "bruises easily", but this was a little alarming. Anyone else?

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
Yep. If they hit that main radial nerve running up the side of your head? Instant profound bruising. The dentist hit mine one day and even with frantic ice packs? I purpled and greened in seconds. They had me leave by the back door as to not freak anyone out. It happens. I giggled about it. They were horrified.

What can be done? Not much. Except expect a visit from the Police asking what you did to her. :)

·
newfieannie
9,171 Posts
I guess those things happen. I went in one time to get my appendix out and when it was over I was black and blue from my neck to my waist. and i dont bruise easily. it was as if someone was pounding me . never did find out what happened. ...Georgia.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Bummer! Ah the joys of going to the dentist.. :rolleyes: I had a wisdom tooth removed in June, I had alot of swelling, but no bruising.
but now have some problems with TMJ, which i never had before. like i said the joys of dentristy.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ellebeaux said:
Does she take a lot of ibuprofen? That can cause excessive bruising.
None. She took some Tylenol last night.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Sounds typical for prep for crown work. Especially if she bruises easily. I can be very invasive, especially if they are teeth way in the back.

Perhaps you should be consulting with your dentist and not us. Just an idea.

Pat

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Must have been the day for it.I had some work done yesterday and it took hours for my face to go back to 'normal'.I was still numb when i went to bed at ;00 Pm and Ihad the work done at 5:00!!! It is very sore today.I had two shots, plus they were back teeth so he stretched my mouth to get to them.When I left the dentist I looked like I'd had a stroke- one side of my mouth was pulled down and stayed that way til I went to bed.talk about a "half-smile"!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL. Aren't dentists fun????!!!!!!!!!! :grump:

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
patnewmex said:
Sounds typical for prep for crown work. Especially if she bruises easily. I can be very invasive, especially if they are teeth way in the back.

Pat

Already consulted with the dentist. I purposely wanted to check with people here (actual patients and maybe at least one ex-hygienist) to see if they had similar outcomes, in order to get both sides.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I had this happen to me once with just a standard filling. If I remember correctly, the dentist hit a blood vessel while he was injecting the novocaine. My entire cheek swelled and turned black and blue. It wasn't painful, just unsightly.

Needless to say, it was embarrassing, as it appeared as if someone had socked me in the face. Hard. The next day while running errands,I complained to my husband, who exclaimed, " You think you got it bad?! Everyone is looking at me as if I am the jerk who did this to you!"

He had a point...

Anyway, sorry to hear about your wife and hope that the rest of her dental work goes smoothly.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
SteveD(TX) said:
Already consulted with the dentist. I purposely wanted to check with people here (actual patients and maybe at least one ex-hygienist) to see if they had similar outcomes, in order to get both sides.

Steve dontcha love the snarky comments? :rolleyes: I've asked Wind in her hair plenty of times about dental things, and she always has the right answers :)
anyways hope her brusing goes away soon.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
patnewmex said:

Pat

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Some people just don't get it...

I thought a forum is for looking for other peoples suggestions or feedback. Why shouldn't he ask this question, or any other for that matter?

Steve, I hope your wife is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Petunia40 said:
Steve dontcha love the snarky comments? :rolleyes: I've asked Wind in her hair plenty of times about dental things, and she always has the right answers :)
anyways hope her brusing goes away soon.
Hey, snarky happens.

Thanks Petunia and P&Q.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
WIHH, do you work in the big clinic near the town that you live?

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
lordno!
Some time ago I was approached by the "warehouse/factory/slaughterhouse/assembly-line" dental conglomerate but passed on an "opportunity" to work for them. :eek:

one too many horror stories and deliveries to the ER to help the ER doctors deal with the aftermath of bad dentistry. :eek: I don't have a lot of respect for that particular business model -doctors whose names you could never pronounce, a different doctor every visit - volume, quotas, etc- not quality work or personalized dentistry. :shrug: Sometimes you DO get what you pay for. :eek:

No, thankfully its not come to that. I work for a very kind-hearted, gentle humble private practitioner whom I admire and respect -not something I can say for the vast majority of those who man "the Center". :eek:
I hear ya'. On the other hand these are often the only dentists taking on new clients, especially in emergencys.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Not just dentists. Some years ago, when I went to the clinic for a vasectomy, oyy what a tug he gave me. Bruises happen.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
tell me about it...they do have "after hours" and weekend hours so most of what they get ARE emergencies. I have found that if a patient goes to the time, expense , and trouble to establish a relationship with a dentist for routine care, that dentists will not likely send them elsewhere if the patinet has an emergency after hours - thats why its almost 8:00pm and I just got home! :rolleyes:
Do ya Moonlight? :D

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
not if I can avoid it! :)
Even if I liquor you up and bring pork chops?

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
tinknal said:
Even if I liquor you up and bring pork chops?
You might want to save the liquor until AFTER... LOL!

I love my dentist. In the past 30 years, he has been gracious, kind, INCREDIBLY competent, and very accommodating. If there is a bruise (and this man has done extensive work on my over the years) he apologizes, even though I realize that sometimes it cannot be avoided.

I think the poor man suffers as much as I when pain is involved. The other day, I went in to have him work on a tooth that was hurting, but it was hard to tell which one it was due to pain referral. I had to bite down on this mean old stick, and then he had to shoot my tooth with cold water. He kept apologizing, like it was something he could help. :rolleyes:

My only fear is that he'll retire, but he assured me last week that he has no intention of doing that unless the Lord retires him -- either by taking him home, or by something happening to him that he would not be able to provide the absolute best care for his patients.

Pony!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I had a tooth pulled a week ago and my face still hurts. Dentist said that the tips of the tooth's roots were fused together. He had to break it apart to get it out, and now the neighboring teeth hurt, as does the empty socket and gumline.

I guess this sort of stuffs happens every once in a while.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts