Dental Insurance?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MillsFarmFamily, Dec 31, 2005.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of any dental insurance that is worth having. I need some work done on my teeth, but didn't want to have to spend thousands of dollars if I could help it.

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

You can get a discount plan for sure. Saved me more than it cost to join the plan but no where near 'free'. Just maybe 20% off local rates and I know cause I called around for prices before buying the plan. These discount plans are only good at participating dentists in that particular discount plan and I got the hard sell for more expensive work, but the original root canal and crown was top notch and cheap as one will get in good ole USA anymore and that includes so called dental college discounts. The couple I looked into charge just as much as local dentists. The charity dentist program does fillings and tooth extraction, they dont do root canals and crowns. As for the dentist with the discount plan, I just didnt go back for the suggested other work. True insurance isnt available for pre existing conditions unless you can join group plan at work. And like medical insurance, there is no guarentee how much of the bill they will actually cover.

And if you need thousands of dollars worth work, maybe best investment is a bus ticket and cheap motel on the Mexico border. Mexican dentist will work for quarter of what American dentist costs. I've heard Thailand dentist will work for tenth of USA dentist, but Thailand is long way away. I'd get references from others just like looking for an American dentist. There are substandard dentists there looking for the quick buck just like there are here. Lot elderly snowbirds that spend winter near Mexico border use Mexican dentists to good effect.

3. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Are you near a dental college? This might be an option. Also, group dental via your employer usually has a calendar year max of $1500 with a $25 deductible. BUT the work you need done sounds like it falls into the major restorative category meaning they only pay 50%. So if your total cost is $3000, you pay $1525 and they pay $1475. Don't know where you are but in my area, there are dental clinics that are income based. Something else to check out. There is also the payment plan if you can't afford the cost all at once. Find a dentist who is willing to work with you.

4. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

HermitJohn is right, dental discount plans are the way to go. The benefits for major restoration work are comparable to traditional dental insurance, but benefits begin immediately and you can usually cancel any time. Just start paying premiums and go to the dentist! Here is a good plan to look at:

http://ruralfree.net/dental/index.html

5. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

The problem is that I don't have an employer, and DH is self-employed.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've been there and done that, paid out of pocket. Only time I've ever had any type of dental coverage is when it was from an employer.

7. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

That is one of the really nice things about the dental discount plan I posted about above; there is no waiting period. You are eligible the same day you sign up.

It is true that you have to be seen by a member dentist in order to take advantage of the discounts, but dentists don't become group members because they are substandard. I have found terrific dentists who are members of the plan.