Dennis

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 3girls, Jul 8, 2005.

1. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Daybird, Ravenlost, and the many others in the area--

Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you for the next several days. Batten down your hatches and be ready!!! You know better than I what that means.

Wish I could help directly, but know that we do what we can from here. I'll be praying often.

--SIGH--

2. irish_mark

irish_mark Member

things r gettin wet and windy down here ...guess were in for some more fun this yr...im just worried about all those people that think their insured ,,,the insurance companys have all run outta money ....

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Thanks

We sent animals in every conceivable direction last year for Ivan. It took two weeks to round them all back up and get them home. The only damage was a downed pine tree that ripped up part of the septic tank field lines. It was a rental property though, so I wasn't to devastated.

Now that we have our five acres, we have greatly expanded the "bird business." We only had our six hens when we moved here. Now we have 7 geese, 4 ducks, 8 turkeys, 10 guineas, 3 pheasants, 2 peachicks, over 100 chickens, a flock of pigeons that grows seemingly every day and way more parrots than we've ever had before.

I have huge flight cages tied to trees in the yard for alot of the parrots. I'm going to cut them down and stack them up in the barn tomorrow morning before I go to work. I'm off work Sunday and will have to bring the serval inside along with Sam, our beloved Pyrenese. I've got to move the sebastapol geese out of their dog kennel and put them in one of the yards, either with the muscovies or with the African geese.

I feel terrified, but can't imagine what it would be like living closer to the Gulf. We're several hours North of Mobile, just East of Birmingham.

4. justme32110

justme32110 Member

Hello,
    I am from Florida. We live over by Flagler Beach (on the east coast side). Last year we evacuated a few times, one time to Mobile Al. - the storm stalled and moved across Fl., we were in a motel room with a large number of little dogs (I am a dog breeder), one Great Dane, two cats for over a week. The storm came right up towards Mobile and we had to drive through it anyway : (
    This year we still have a large number of dogs but now we have 5 goats, 9 chickens, 1 turkey - I was wondering what you all do with your animals during hurricanes? We have decided we can not evacuate this year.
    Thanks,
    Donna

5. Anniebek

Anniebek Well-Known Member

We are in the city limits of Mobile. We are staying put.

Anniebek

6. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

I leave the horses out to fend for themselves - they get in the trees, the dogs go in the barn and the cat, well he hides in the hay shed. The chickens and geese stay in the outdoor runs where they have access to their sheds, but mostly I don't coop anything up in the barn as if it collapses or a tornado hits, I do not want to have to dig any animals out.

Animals are pretty darned smart about weather and I've yet to have any get injured if left out in the big paddocks.

looks like Dennis made a shift and now will hit Ala and Louisiana and maybe Mississippi. Y'all take care down there!

Sidepasser

7. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

God be with us all!

8. galfriend

galfriend Well-Known Member

We're in a mobile home....less than 100 miles from New Orleans, across the line in MS. and we're taking ourselves and our dogs just down the road to SIL house!
    Thank-goodness she hasn't any tress around her house.

My thoughts and prayers will be with those where ever this ugly storm touches.