Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that my maternal aunt was diagnosed with dementia. She is just 59. My mother says that she is in pretty bad shape. She only answers questions when asked, is a danger in the kitchen and her husband had to take her drivers license. I guess she has gone down hill very quickly because they didn't know until just a few months ago.

My mother wanted me to know because I guess this can be heriditary. She didn't know all the specifics but remembers something about the frontal lobe, copper and vitamin b. Does anyone have a clue what this means? There is no telling whether or not my sister or cousins will get this but is there something we should be doing now to delay the onset of symptoms?

I tried doing a search but there are so many websites on this subject and I don't know what is quack medicine and whats not. The ones that looked credible are way to technical. Please help by pointing me in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
im sorry for what your aunt is going through. my paternal grand mother died of dementia and my wifes grand mother had alsimers so i have an idea of what your family is going through.

good thoughts out to you and your family.

dean

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Some doctors believe that a lack of copper can cause dementia, as can a lack of some B vitamins. My friend's MIL was going down hill fast with dementia until her doctor gave her Vit B. Certain prescription drugs can also cause temporary dementia.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
LvDemWings said:
My mother wanted me to know because I guess this can be heriditary. She didn't know all the specifics but remembers something about the frontal lobe, copper and vitamin b. Does anyone have a clue what this means? There is no telling whether or not my sister or cousins will get this but is there something we should be doing now to delay the onset of symptoms?
Check with your doctor.

Has your aunt had a serious infection recently?

That happened to my father abruptly and they diagnosed him with Alzheimer's... later to realize it was a liver malfunction instead!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shepherd said:
Check with your doctor.

Has your aunt had a serious infection recently?

That happened to my father abruptly and they diagnosed him with Alzheimer's... later to realize it was a liver malfunction instead!
I guess she was sent to Duke University hospital for a weeks worth of testing and it is dementia.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My grandmother had a form of dementia, starting in her mid-50s (around my age - you can bet I'm concerned). Hers was caused by a series of small strokes, often hundreds a day. None were big enough that you'd notice much of a change, but they were cumulative. She lived to her mid-80s, getting progressively worse as time went by. She was able to care for herself until her mid-70s, then required someone to help out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.