Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've looked through all the back threads and got some info, but not enough for me, lol. I'm just looking for general opinions about the new dell inspiron 1721. I will be doing a little gaming (WoW and pogo), saving photos, geneology research, surfing the internet and who know what else. My question about wi-fi: I have comcast at home, and no cell phone. Is there another provider I have to pay to use wi-fi? Can I cancel my comcast and still be able to use wi-fi where it's available? I'll be traveling across country (again, lol) and am thinking about a months purchase from Flying J or Pilot, is that all I'll need? And that just gets me the "password" to access wi-fi when it's in range, right? I guess basically what I'm asking is there a monthly fee to access it, like comcast or aol, or do I need to have an account with a "home" provider, like comcast or aol? (I've just totally confused myself :baby04: ) TIA
scgirl
on her way home soon...............

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
WIFI is a wireless access method. Its not an ISP. If you have a comcast cable then you will continue to use it and NOT use wifi. If your away from home then you can use free wifi connections in many hotels and restaurants,

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Gary. That's what I was thinking, though my thinking is not always correct :rolleyes: . Any opinions on the dell inspiron or dell in general?
scgirl

·
Registered
390 Posts
scgirl said:
Any opinions on the dell inspiron or dell in general?
scgirl
cheap made,bad tech support,power supplys fail ALL the time. Most people in general agree with what I said, but don't let Arabian Knight make Dell sound like the best there is--he must just be the ONLY person (that I know of) that has had luck with Dell. You may be one of the lucky, or the not so lucky. I like HP much, much better.

·
Registered
900 Posts
scgirl said:
Any opinions on the dell inspiron or dell in general?
Many manufacturers have a consumer grade line that's built as cheaply as possible and just good enough so most of them make it through warranty, and a better quality commercial grade line that's much better quality and more expensive. Needless to say, most really low priced computers are the junk line. Inspiron is Dell's consumer line; the only way I'll ever own one is if it's given to me.

I worked on a friend's HP (consumer grade) minitower recently. It didn't even have the sheet metal bracket you'd need if you wanted to install a floppy drive. Of course floppies aren't used much anymore, but what did that save them on a Chinese made case, maybe $0.10 each? I can't help but wonder what other corners they cut that'll adversely affect reliability.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
Dell, gateway, compaq/HP all are the same. They have low end lines, mid range and high end lines. If you buy the bottom price computer then you get a bottom priced computer.

All are usually worth the money.

On wifi, If you want to go wireless at home, you can add a wireless router to your cable modem and use your laptop via wifi in your home.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've been using Dells for my customers for the past years.

Yes they have a consumer grade. Bad choice.

And a Business or commercial grade. Excellent choice.

Dells are much like anything else you get. If you buy the cheapest, you get the cheapest.

My 3 cents.

L

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree with what backwoods and lhavey said-- if you buy cheap, you'll get cheap. I have worked with higher end Dells,HPs,and Gateways--even lower end...HP has been the best with support and hardware compatability. Yes-- they all are made cheap, nowadays. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I buy cheap, usually refurbished, laptops for my own personal use.

It's not the tools, it's the talent. :)

There are very few laptop manufacturers in the world. Dell, HP and even Apple get their laptops from the same manufactures. The manufacturers just rebadge them with the vendor's logo, and the vendor configures them with the memory and drive configuration, etc and loads their own useless software on it before they ship it to you. There is very little difference between laptops in the same price category between vendors.

When you're comparing brands, you should actually compare them based on their individual components, not their overall stats or who the vendor is. Two laptops might both have 1 gig of ram, but is it Kingston or Crucial memory, or some off-brand? Does it have a well-known motherboard like Asus, or some off-brand?

Comparing a "Dell" to an "HP" is pointless. A Dell might have a Seagate drive in it this month, and then next month that same model Dell might have an off brand drive because they got a better deal on them, or have excess drives from another model. If you don't ask what's under the hood, you do not know what you're getting.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks for all the replies. I think I understand abut wi-fi now. For the computer, I think I'll go to the computer guy down the road. He's always been real honest with me and can probably give me exactly what I want. Thanks again for all the info.
scgirl

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
snv1492 said:
I buy cheap, usually refurbished, laptops for my own personal use.
Historical I have as well, but With the price of NEW laptop's so low, getting a rev or two back isnt worth it. I can buy a new compaq at $499 or buy a 5 year old used unit for $350+.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gary in ohio said:
Historical I have as well, but With the price of NEW laptop's so low, getting a rev or two back isnt worth it. I can buy a new compaq at $499 or buy a 5 year old used unit for $350+.
I've never bought used. I wouldn't trust a used laptop.

But I do buy refurbished, which usually just means is had some cosmetic defect that is the only thing preventing it from being sold as "new".

The last laptop I bought was about 2 years ago for about $1200. Which is not exactly "cheap", but it's cheap for the type of laptop I require.

One of those $500 laptops they are selling today is probably compatible to the laptop I bought 2 years ago.

But since I usually require something a bit more powerful than the absolute entry level machine, and because I try to keep them for 3 or 4 years, even when I buy my next laptop, I'll probably spend over $1000.

I should have said cheap for my needs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts