Delicious!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Tango, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Just roasted our very first wild pig. She was a small one that dressed out at 40 pounds. We injected with seasoning, rubbed the skin, and roasted whole on a spit. Never had any better pork. I've been selling my two domestic sows for a few weeks. The wild pigs are easier to work with and eat less. Now with yesterday's New Year's dinner, I know I made the right choice. Absolutely delicious. The only pain was scraping. We purchased a product called "Hog Scald" which hasn't arrived yet for the next pig. The hair on them is abundant andtough.

2. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Let me know how the Hog Scald works. I found a product called Old Baldy for scalding hogs, might be the same. I haven't ordered it yet but I want to. We scald at 150, 160 if it is real cold, and the hair comes out easy. They also say you can add a little lye to the water,but I don't know how much.

3. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Sounds like there may be enough left overs for me if I hurry. :haha:
    but what about all the rest of us. :confused:

Now you have started our mouths to watering,
    and there's not enough to go around. :no: :waa:

Glad for you it worked out to the good. :)

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

It is the same product. It arrived yesterday but we won't be using it until April when we do the next one. I'm a little concerned about the ingredients since it says that it may cause skin irritation. We roast with skin on and let the skin toast. It is one of our favorite parts of the pig so we don't want to use anything that would make it inedible.

5. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

That's a good point. If the hair comes off easy but the skin tastes like a chemical dump, you haven't gained much. Also, if it loosens the hog hair, it would probably loosen your hair, too. I recommend rubber gloves.

We'll be scraping another hog in a month or so, maybe we'll try a little lye in the water.