Delayed sprouting with heirloom seeds??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moldy, Apr 27, 2006.

1. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

THis is the first year i have used heirloom seeds. I ordered quite a few from Pinetree and Baker Street (all heirlooms). the only things that have sprouted so far are the beans. Do heirlooms take a lot longer to sprout? I know that carrots take forever, and so do potatoes for me, but this is beets, broccoli, melons, etc.

2. peekin

peekin Well-Known Member

Do you mean Baker Creek?

I have not had great luck with their seeds. They have a very good reputation but the seeds I've gotten from them have been slow to come up or not very vigorous.

I don't know about Pine Tree.

I have had excellent results with heirlooms from Renees, No Thyme and another source.

3. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    My experience this year with heritage tomato seeds has been mixed. The Pruden's Purple (from Pine Tree, btw), just seemed to pop right up and has been growing very vigorously. But My poor Watermelon Beefsteak (TGS?) has produced but one tiny weak seedling, from twelve seeds started. Taxi, Sioux, Polish Linguisa and Fireworks have all been OK, but not spectacular. My Jalora pepper seedlings are doing just fine, but the Rumanian Rainbow sweet peppers are struggling. I live in Montana, so I have to stick to shorter season varieties. Therefore I usually have to forego the more popular Brandywine(s), Box Car Willie, or whatever.

-Barb in Montana

4. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

Yes, Baker Creek (sorry - allergy meds and lack of sleep make me a little slower than usual). The beans that have popped up are from Pinetree, none of the BC seeds have sprouted. We are having lots of rain, but I do raised beds, so I don't think that is the problem. I will let it go another week (have been 2 weeks in the ground), then contact BC if no results. thanks for the input!

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I used almost exclusively Baker creek seeds, I had some sprout as much as 10 days apart in the same seed trays. This is my first year with a greenhouse so they got better care than usual from me. Some varieties done better than others in the same plant group. I did notice that the seeds I saved from last year almost all sprouted seed for seed. And the store bought seeds didn't do that well. I have about 99% Heirloom seeds. Over 8,000 plants sprouted.

6. VA Backwoodsman

VA Backwoodsman Active Member

Sounds like you have gotten some old seed or they weren't stored properly. Waiting a week sounds like a good idea. you might try using a milk jug mini-greenhouse on a few of your spots to see if the soil not being warm enough is a problem also, or try sprouting a few like sprouts to see if they will germinate.