dehydrator

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by john#4, Oct 11, 2005.

1. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a problem, I don’t shop online and can’t find a print catalog with dehydrators I can get online. Mine is on it’s last leg.
    I have a limited amount of money and can only afford $50-60.00. I just can’t afford more then that. I have seen what I’m looking for online order only. I don’t care what else the catalog has other then dehydrators.
    Any links that I can order a catalog from?
    Thank you very much,
    John#4

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

John, I know you said you don't shop online. I am assuming(wrongly?) that you don't want to use a Credit Card or Debit card for an online transaction.

I found this dehydrator on E-bay and this seller takes checks/money orders.

If I'm wrong about why you don't want online transactions you have my apologies. :)

I will search for print catalogs. I used to get one for Excalibur after I bought mine but those are much, much more expensive than the desired purchase price you listed.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-5-Tray...ryZ32883QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Are there customer service numbers when you're looking online? They may be able to help you order over the phone.

Don't know if you have a Meijer anywhere near you, but they carry Ronco dehydrators, definitely under $50. Maybe some other stores local to you carry them as well.

If you're feeling handy, you could make one yourself. Google "building dehydrators" and see what you get. Also, many of the books on country living and food preservation will give you directions on how to make one. Some are as simple as a cardboard box, aluminum foil, and a light bulb plugged into a work light. :)

Good luck!

Pony!

5. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

I know you were looking for a catalog but I just wanted to share that I found mine at a Garage Sale this summer for $6. new in box never used. Works great, 5 trays. Anyway I thought that maybe if cash is short that you might think of looking at a resale shop of yard sale. I dont know where you are at but around here they are still going strong.
    Mrs C

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I know it isnt what you are asking,but dehydrators are the original 5 dollar thrift store bargain,FWIW.

BooBoo

7. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Ky Guest,

Yes I know about Fingerhut, the model they show I have seen for $39.95. I used to buy from them but their markup is high on most stuff. I think I have a catalog. Will know when it gets here. Thank you for your help.

Pony,

We don’t have a Meijer here. But please see above, and think you for the help.

Firethorn and Boohoo,

I run thrift shops and flea markets and have not seen any in a long time.
    Thank You everybody,
    John#4

8. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

If what KY Guest says is true, there are alternatives. I purchased my dehydrator from Amazon and while I did use my credit card, they do accept checks and money orders.

9. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Ebay has well over 100 listed right now,some super deals there right now....
    Sorry about your thrift store,I picked up 2 of the Ronco style,and could get more if i wanted,see them every month or so.I get em and then give em to the kids if they want one.

BooBoo

11. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

How about going on-line and look for a "how to" and make one yourself?

I've seen them different sizes, with wood/screen drawers. Don't remember how they heated tho. If you dry a lot, this may be the way to go. Cheaper too.

As I remember, Mother Earth News had directions on how to make one yourself (ages ago)

This kinda' goes along with solar cookers... make it yourself vs. store bought.