Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
II Corinthians 5:7
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my red blood cell count is obviously coming up; and my energy is much better. What I'm dealing with now is dehydration and this heat is not helping.

Seems my body does not want to retain water...never has. So I'm drinking lots of well water, regular goat milk (also some kefir goat milk I make) along with green tea. Still I think I'm needing something more. Did some research on net and found a "G2" type of Gatorade that I can pick up next time I'm in town. Is there anything else any of you have tried for dehydration?

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,311 Posts
We always have gatorade stocked for this .

Reactions: IlliniosGal

·
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I put water melon and cucumbers on my grocery list. Painter, what type of Gatorade? I need to be cautious as to what I put in my stomach due to the recent ulcerated stomach lining I went to the ER for; so anything with high citrus (lime/lemon) or sugars I still have to be very careful about.

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Registered
60 Posts
I work in a hot environment. I drink Gatorade or Poweraid in addition to water as I work. They do have zero calorie versions also. Some flavors I can tolerate, some I hate. I would buy a variety and see which you like, then stock up on those on the next trip after.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'll second the salt suggestion. I eat a lot of salt, and notice that it's a lot harder to get dehydrated than it was when I ate less salt.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You could use sport's drinks, the only issue with them I normally see is the sugar content and dyes. I mean, if you need a super quick boost or if you were supremely dehydrated, I can see it helping...but it's a soda in disguise in my opinion. Not saying I never drink them or anything because I do from time to time if I do need a boost. I can say that one time I did have an ulcer in my stomach and I drank Gatorade and Powerade and it gave me the worst stomach upset and reflux so I stopped drinking it at that time. After the ulcer went away, I didn't have any trouble. I'm not sure why at that time it upset me so bad. I can't do Gatorade Zero or any of the no calorie ones as I have awful reactions to artificial sweeteners, but they aren't good for you anyway (higher incidences of diabetes, increase risk of IBS/Crohn's, linked to leaky gut problems - the body can't digest them so they damage the GI tract). Powerade Zero and Gatorade Zero has at least two of them, Sucralose (Splenda) and Acesulfame Potassium (Ace K).

My better alternative is a glass of water, I squeeze half of a lemon, add a pinch of sea salt, and maybe a tiny bit of honey and it seems to help a lot. I'm sure the lemon could be replaced with lower citrus like watermelon or something for an inidivual glass. Even just water and salt may help. If you want to make a bulk batch I like this recipe:

1 quart of liquid (options: green tea, herbal teas, coconut water, plain water, etc)
⅛-1/4 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt (regular table salt will work, but it doesn’t have all the trace minerals)
¼ to ½ tsp crushed Calcium magnesium tablets or powder (optional)
¼ cup or more of juice (optional. Can use grape, apple, lemon, lime, pineapple, etc)
1-2 TBSP sweetener (optional)- can use honey, stevia, etc.

Coconut water is wonderful, too, if you can get a hold of some. It does have potassium and sodium in it. It's not the absolute cheapest stuff (a little juice box of VitaCoco here is like $2) to get a hold of, but it does help.

The salt does help your body to retain water and some people need more of it than others do. I found a big 5lb bag of organic Himalayn Sea Salt and my local Big Lots. I think it was like $10, but it's been well worth it and is lasting quite a while. It has filled the salt shaker many times and I have used it for a homemade energy drink.

·
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for responding so quickly. Kstar I copied down that recipe and will be creating it for sure maybe using cranberry or apple juice.

WD I researched "switchel" and it sounds similar to Kombucha; so will be creating some of this as well ... using much less vinegar though.

I've been using "Redmond's 'real salt' from Utah" for quite awhile now. Sometimes I switch back to the "iodized" table salt for a short period of time; then return to Redmond's.

Now just a question of how quickly I'm able to get into town. Still rather weak...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also, eating is important. You are hot, tired and dehydrated and don't feel like eating.

You need to eat real food.

I work outside and yesterday I hit around 130-35 in the semi enclosed area we were working. Massively topped out my thermometer.

Lots of fluids, cheese and crackers, fruit, etc., throughout the day. And breaks.

·
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You got that right! I sure have not felt like eating...been mostly munching on iron-rich dried fruits and nuts.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Careful with drinking too much green tea, it acts as a diuretic.

"Green tea is a natural diuretic, which causes the body to lose water, therefore drinking excessive green tea can cause excessive urination leading to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. Dehydration further can cause problems like headaches, lethargy and fatigue.Aug 8, 2017"

·
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That certainly fits! I had not even noticed dehydration much until after I had been drinking lots of green tea. Will certainly stop that for awhile. Thanks for the information.

The snacks are store bought, i.e. salted peanuts, roasted almonds, cashews, black walnuts, dried prunes, dried apricots, dried raisins, dried figs, dates & dried cranberries. Ran out of the Old Orchard juices David picked up for me, i.e. cranberry/apple, pomegranate, etc. Still making kefir with goat milk and drinking as much well water as I can get down each time I walk thru the trailer. Am going to start adding a bit of Redmond's Real Salt to this well water...

Forced myself to eat a boiled egg this morning with a full slice of Dave's Killer Bread...topped that off with one tablet of "slow releasing iron", 1k vit C tablet and a stool softener. Goodness what a breakfast!

Can tell I'm not as light headed and did sleep a good 2 hrs straight thru last night...my sleep habits are terrible in that I just cannot stay in bed for long at a time; and when most people would be sleeping, I'm wide awake! Sure am glad I got this computer game to fiddle with in the middle of the nights!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Regarding sports drinks - check out Propel. It's low-sugar and not acidic, might work better for you than Gatorade.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
propel that has flavor still has a list of preservative ingredients and sugars that probably aren't helpful.
The plain one looks like it might be okay..... personally, I avoid things made by soda companies
Hope you are feeling better soon.

·
Super Moderator
9,136 Posts
if you can drink Pickle juice without effecting other health issues , it as great for recovering form dehydration.

Hayers juice , hayers drink , basically a concoction to help with those working hard in the sun or the loft to recover from the dehydration of making hay.
I have not made this but have heard of it many times this is a recipe I found How To Make Traditional Switchel (Haymaker's Punch)

·
Super Moderator
9,136 Posts
a hydration pack can also help as too often we do not drink often enough often enough, when very hot and I was outside working in the heat I was going through 3 liters every few hours hard to get work done and replace fast enough if you have to keep stopping to drink with the bite valve you drink little here a little there and next thing you know you have drained a 3 liter balder.

when I was doing shooting clinics in the heat , get in position waiting for the line to be called ready , take a drink , loading mags while drinking , waiting to be called to the line Drinking your laying on a mat in the sun , wearing a coat , just getting soaked through avoiding dehydration because it effects your eyes first and you need them to score.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts