Dehydrating Foods

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Shepherd, May 3, 2005.

1. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I was thinking of dehydrating foods, using the sun instead of using an electric dehydrater. I'd like to make frames with screening to lay out in the sun, but I'm not sure which type of window screening would be appropriate, or if there's a better method besides this. Can anyone advise me in this?

Has anyone else done this and if so, do you have a favorite size for the frames, making them easiest to handle?

I just am not happy with the amount of time it takes to dehydrate with the electric dehydrater... and it seems silly to me to use electricity if we can get good results by using the sun.

2. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

Here is a site with a solar dehydrator & drawing on how to make:

www.i4at.org/surv/soldehyd/htm
    If you go to google and put in "dehydrator", it will have several sites come up for electric, solar, sun drying only, etc.

I decided to buy an excalibur - it will be in next month - so passed on making one.
    JackieA

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Thanks Jackie!

I was hoping someone else had experimented with this idea. ;)

4. gleepish

gleepish Well-Known Member

My Great-Grandmother used to dry apples in her attic... she pealed and cored them and then slid them onto an old broom handle hung horizontally in the rafters and left them to dry... I don't know if she did anything else to them or not, I was pretty young.