Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had not done carrots before. I was given a 5lb bag so I thought I could perserve them this way.I peeled & blanched 5 min,dumped in ice water ,dried & sliced thin.I used an old Nesco unit,next morning some had dried & the others had mold I put it all in the trash.What did I do wrong?

·
Gadabout
2,491 Posts
Probably blanching them, I just grate mine raw and dry them until they're crispy all the way through. Make sure to stir them once in a while. I've had some for years and they're still good.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably blanching them, I just grate mine raw and dry them until they're crispy all the way through. Make sure to stir them once in a while. I've had some for years and they're still good.
Thank you I will do this next time,I had a feeling the blanching was my problem.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
By grate do you mean a grate like you might use to grate cheese? I sliced some and then dried the slices. They preserved fine but when I used them they were kind of rubbery.

·
Gadabout
2,491 Posts
Yes, I grate them on a cheese grater. I've made the holes a bit bigger (pried them open with needle-nose pliers) on one just for grating things I want a little fatter. You could probably use a mandolin, but I cut myself every time I try to use one.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Yes, I grate them on a cheese grater. I've made the holes a bit bigger (pried them open with needle-nose pliers) on one just for grating things I want a little fatter. You could probably use a mandolin, but I cut myself every time I try to use one.
Thanks. I just bought a madolin AND a pair of cut proof gloves. I like my fingers. :)

Reactions: Gayle in KY
1 - 6 of 6 Posts