dehydrating before and after

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Sylvia, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

Hi Folks! I inherited a Ronco electric dehydrator that came unboxed and without instructions. Does anyone have an info on how to use it? My specific questions are: What can or can't you put in this thing? (i.e.:will herbs catch fire, will tomatoes drip down and burn the element) How do you prepare the stuff? (i.e: do you wash and pat dry, do you wet and leave wet, should it be bone dry) How do you store the stuff? (i.e.: plastic baggies, then metal or plastic or glass) How long will the stuff keep? (i.e.: just over winter, a year, more)

Also I will be posting in the cooking area to ask for recipies and how tos too.
    Thanks, this site is so great because you folks are great.
    You are a blessing to me.
    sylvia

2. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

Do you know how many Christmases I've been asking for one of those darn things?!? My family hasn't come through yet...guess I'll buy my own! LOL!

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

4. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

I used to have a ronco dehydrator. It takes several days to dry out the stuff. you want to make sure you set it on something flat and keep the lid closed until it heats up. i always worried about how long it takes to dry it out. it doesn't really get that hot and if the meat was too thick it took a long to work. i used it for several years and was doing a batch and the element overheated and the whole think melted. it could of burned the house down. It worked for a long time. My mother in law gave me her big box dehydrator, it has a fan and a heater, it works so fast. I liked my ronco, but would be real careful with it.

My favorite recipe is cut the meat in thin strips and soak over night in kikomans terrique glaze. thats all i put on it. its great.

randy

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

6. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

Gosh it sure pays to be paranoid, doesn't it? I had a fire in my dryer, but caught it just in time. All that happened was that I scorched a few towels. Thought I'd have to trash it but turns out all it needed was to have the lint purged!.
    Thanks for the tips.
    sylvia