Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently pulled my old dehumidifier out of storage (garage) due to a little moisture problem that's popped up this winter.
When last used 5 or 6 years ago it was running fine, though I had to put a "hard start" kit in it about 2 years before storing it.
Now I find the compressor won't run.
Unplugging the fan so I can hear what's going on, I hear the "start kit" click, then the compressor runs for a second, maybe two, then shuts off. It will continue cycling like this for as long as I want to listen to it, which of course isn't very long.
Has the poor old thing finally given up the ghost, or might a new start kit get it going again?
All opinions are welcome.
Yes, I already know I'm cheap, that one doesn't count.
Les

·
Registered
434 Posts
Usually a "hard start kit" signals the beginning of the end. If you can determine what is shutting it off , youll be a lot closer to diagnosing. Is the compressor hot? Will it even try to start w/o the HSK? How long does it run? F only a second or two , the compressor is probably shot. A LP switch USALLY takes several seconds to kick in , unless it's comepletly void of charge , then it won't start at all.Can you read voltage and amp draw?..............

U

·
0 Posts
Low of gas. Gas it or ditch it, probably the only options.
Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all for the replies.
I no longer have the original overload device so I can't test what it does without the Hard Start Kit.
I can't find any sign of a low pressure switch, so unless it's internal to the compressor I guess it doesn't have one, so can't jumper that out.
The compressor does start and run for two seconds maximum.
The HSK clicks, the compressor starts and runs for 2 sec, the HSK clicks again and the compressor stops.
It does not get hot, though I suppose it might if I let it sit there and cycle a few dozen times, I haven't tried that.
I guess I'll see if I can find someone to check the freon charge.
Les

1 - 4 of 4 Posts