Dehumidifier won't run

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Les, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Les

Les Member

I have recently pulled my old dehumidifier out of storage (garage) due to a little moisture problem that's popped up this winter.
    When last used 5 or 6 years ago it was running fine, though I had to put a "hard start" kit in it about 2 years before storing it.
    Now I find the compressor won't run.
    Unplugging the fan so I can hear what's going on, I hear the "start kit" click, then the compressor runs for a second, maybe two, then shuts off. It will continue cycling like this for as long as I want to listen to it, which of course isn't very long.
    Has the poor old thing finally given up the ghost, or might a new start kit get it going again?
    All opinions are welcome.
    Yes, I already know I'm cheap, that one doesn't count.
    Les

2. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Usually a "hard start kit" signals the beginning of the end. If you can determine what is shutting it off , youll be a lot closer to diagnosing. Is the compressor hot? Will it even try to start w/o the HSK? How long does it run? F only a second or two , the compressor is probably shot. A LP switch USALLY takes several seconds to kick in , unless it's comepletly void of charge , then it won't start at all.Can you read voltage and amp draw?..............

3. Low of gas. Gas it or ditch it, probably the only options.
    Mike

4. Les

Les Member

Thanks all for the replies.
    I no longer have the original overload device so I can't test what it does without the Hard Start Kit.
    I can't find any sign of a low pressure switch, so unless it's internal to the compressor I guess it doesn't have one, so can't jumper that out.
    The compressor does start and run for two seconds maximum.
    The HSK clicks, the compressor starts and runs for 2 sec, the HSK clicks again and the compressor stops.
    It does not get hot, though I suppose it might if I let it sit there and cycle a few dozen times, I haven't tried that.
    I guess I'll see if I can find someone to check the freon charge.
    Les