Dehorning

Discussion in 'Goats' started by glidergurl03, Oct 5, 2006.

1. glidergurl03

glidergurl03 Well-Known Member

I've got a 4 month old Nubian girl I"d like to dehorn...are my only options paste or nippers? Someone suggested maybe a cattle dehorning iron? Her nubs aren't very big, a lot smaller than I'd have thought they should be at this age. I've never dehorned any of my goats before, so this is new to me :)

2. lotsofmuddypaws

lotsofmuddypaws Member

I resently started dehorning using a bander. It has worked so well for us that we now have dehorned 14 goats using this method.
    You may want to wait until her horns are a little bigger, so the band has something to hold on to.
    We also put duct tape around the band to hold it in place.

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Don't use paste!

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

From what you describe I'm thinking it still might be possible to use an iron on her. I'd pare down as much as you can with nippers then see if a disbudding iron fits over it.

5. happyladybug

happyladybug Well-Known Member

lotsofmuddypaws -

what are you using for bands??? and how are you getting them low enough..
    i tried this on a couple of mine.. and eventually had to take them off.. i don't think i had the band low enough..

any hints that help are greatly appreciated..

the goats i want to dehorn are about4 years old..

6. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Lady Bug,

Here's a link for more info on banding.

http://www.greatgoats.com/articles/dehorning_text.html

I'm thinking that the horns being harder than soft tissue take longer to go numb and that's why it is somewhat painful the first day instead of a few minutes or hours like castration.

7. lotsofmuddypaws

lotsofmuddypaws Member

We just use the small rubber bands sold at feed stores used for castrating some animals. We have one of the band gun things.
    Just stretch the band as wide as it will go, slide it down as far as you can over the horn, release it while holding it in place with your fingers, then very quickly, wrap thin strips of duct tape around the band to hold it in place. you do not need to remove the duct tape, it will fall off with the horn.

Lisa

8. glidergurl03

glidergurl03 Well-Known Member

I've heard to also help keep it in place you can, if the horns are large, use a rasp and file around the base of the horn a little ways in.

Jillis could you please explain why "do not use the paste"? I've heard some info from several sources, but always like to hear more.

9. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

The reason not to use the paste is that you would need to keep the goat still and away from other goats for quite a while. That stuff is really caustic and could injure the goat being dehorned as well as any other goat in the pen with it. I've been told by other goat breeders not to use it. If the doeling's horns are as small as it sounds like they are, your best option would be to use the nippers to trim them down and then use the disbudding iron. This should permanantly remove the horns. When you dehorn with elastrator bands, there is the distinct chance the horns will grow back because the horn buds haven't been destroyed.