Dehorning

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by prairiegirl, Sep 24, 2006.

1. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm hoping someone can help me here.
    Have you ever heard of dehorning a calf using bands? If so, would you explain the age of calf and how you did it? Also, what type of bands and where did you get them.

Thanks so much

prairiegirl

2. Highland

Highland Well-Known Member

It won't work on calves.
    It will work on mature cattle.I tried it on a few cows and was not happy-- would not recomend it at all.

3. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

My 2.5 mo old steer has horns popping through. What's best way to rid him of them? He's feisty. We'll be having freezing night temps pretty soon, and I thought I'd wait for low daytime temps, too.

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

If you do a search you will find that this topic has come up before and had varying responses, many of them negative.

I had never heard of the practice until I joined this site and frankly it is one I wouldn't touch with a 10ft barge pole. There are cleaner and quicker methods of dehorning cattle of any age and your vet would be the best one to talk to about your options.

If he is bound for the freezer, you could look at leaving them on. All my cows, steers and even the last bull, have horns. That's a personal choice on my part and not one I expect everybody to take on board but if he's only going to be with you for the shorter term.......

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Even though my steer IS going to be in the freezer I NEVER leave the horns on~! I have used the paste, didn't have good luck, I have used the Electric ones that Burn into the area, did have good luck I have also used the Big Cutters That cut a Junk out of the head. Works good but lots of bleeding. I now bought a Small Round cutter. You press down turn it a /14 of a turn back again and then POP OUT the horn bud~! WORKS GREAT. Little to No bleeding and real quick and heals up real quick and real inexpensive. I would recommend that on calves that are still young and have not much more the the Button Showing through. Real easy to do even if one person is doing it.

6. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for your suggestions.
    I think I'll try to find some information on the Small Round Cutter arabian knight suggested. I'm not so sure it would be the best choice for this calf as he has almost an inch poking through.

Thanks again

prairiegirl

7. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

The Nasco Farm & Ranch Catalog offers the Appropriate tool. You can access their Catalog at www.eNasco.com/farmandranch :) Click on Veterinary Supplies. Then enter "Dehorner" in keyword search box upper right corner, then proceed to page 2.
    Item # C14750N would be appropriate for above calves mentioned. The BloodStop Powder Item # C00682N would be a good idea as well.
    Valley Vet Supply should also have the appropriate tools available.

The tool Arabian Knight mentioned(Tube Calf Dehorner, I believe) works well, but probably best used before the horns form spikes.