dehorning when too big to disbud

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mammawof3, Apr 26, 2005.

1. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

How do you do it, when the horns have already gotten to be 1-2 inches long? Is it safe to cut them off at the skin line(above the skin line??) then burn with the disbudder iron? Attempted bands-would NOT stay on even for a little while! Am buying an iron, but- what do we do with these two-they are future fair wethers,..how much of the horn do we cut off?? Any ideas??Thanks :no:

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

at two inches long youre looking at a lot of blood and a big wrestling job

horns for the first 3-5 inches, depending on the breed maintain thier own blood flow

the bands wont stay on horns that small, unless youre getting the bands down around the growth ring, and the only way to do that is wrestle the little bugger, shave around thier horns with a clippers, then band, wrap the horn and band with duct tape to ensure they stay on , at this age the band should start being visibily cutting in in about aa week ,

OTHERWISE
    its a vets job to remove them , call and see what they would charge for it
    theres a lot of blood there, and some trauma involved , see if its a price you can afford
    i wouldnt try cutting and burning them on my own

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

We had two goats dehorned several years ago.
    It was not done right but I didn't know about that then. I do now.
    Yes, you can have horns taken off and they will stay off.
    Do it in the winter time when there are no flies.
    They can get infected easy. Mine did. They did it in the summer.
    It was quite a battle to get the infection cleared up but the girls never scurred.
    The vet gave a local for pain and used a wire saw and cut them off. That is all he did.
    Should have been done in the winter.
    Should have been burned with a disbudding iron to cauterize it.
    Do not try to give pain killers to your goats without a vets advice and make sure it is a vet that really knows the correct dosage for goats.
    Farmers cut the horns off of their own cattle all the time.

4. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

We have horns removed all the time. Our vet has developed a method of putting them to sleep and then burning and cutting. Very little blood and no trama! They go to sleep and wake up with a pretty little wrap on their heads. Doesn't stress them or make them sick. Our vet wont do them until he can see them and they are 1/2 to 1 1/2" inches long. Have not had a problem with any of them. Just had 14 done all in one morning!
    He charges $8 per kid which is reasonable to me.

JR05