dehorning or disbudding

Discussion in 'Goats' started by js2743, Dec 14, 2006.

1. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

when is the best time to do this? and also is there any iron that works better than another? also can the scent glands be removed with this technique and is it something i should do or just the disbudding?

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Disbudding please!! So much easier and less painfull for the goat! Disbudding should be done by a week of age on most breeds, Boers and Nubians being the exception, you might be able to wait for two weeks of age on those two breeds. I use the Rineheart X50 and am very pleased with it. I do a LOT of disbudding and it has held up well under the useage. It is best to have an experienced person show you how to do this before you try it on your own. Usually an inexperienced person trying disbudding the first time without help will not burn long enough, thus resulting in scurs. I have never bothered with the scent glands so have no input on that subject.

3. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Emily - on the Rhinehart X50 - do you have the adapter tip for 'smaller calves' or just the standard tip? I need to buy one this year and am not sure what to get.

Sorry for the thread drift - I thought it might be okay since it is along the same lines.

I've brought mine to my friend to have her disbud them thus far - and I've had some ready within a couple days, others not for a couple weeks. It really depends on the kid.

niki

4. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I took a kid and the iron to the vet and had him show me how, learned alot.

5. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

ozark_jewels I was reading on what you posted on that Rhinehart X50 Dehorner since I have all different breeds of goats should I get both tips?

Thanks for your help. :)

6. vallyfarm

vallyfarm Well-Known Member

I've got the x50 also. It can be orderer with the small tip It ataches to the large tip, which is part of the unit. Yes, get the small tip. I find even with the small tip that on some smaller goats it is on the biger side. Time is KEY. As already said, leard from a pro first. The job is not hard, just trickey, if you know what I mean. Please do not wait for the horns to grow. Mike

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have a friend who does my disbudding. He has a goat dairy with almost 300 does and a couple of bucks that her changes every few years. He also includes disbudding with the price of ALL his babies that he sells, which as you can imagine is a LOT od babies.

He likes to wait until you can just feel the horn buds coming up under the skin. That varies from baby to baby and breed to breed. I didn't have my Nigies done until they were 3 weeks old, and they have perfect disbuddings.
    Some people recommend doing it within 3 days of birth, whether you feel the buds or not. Probably both methods work fine, because the main point is to kill the nerve endings that nourish the growth of the horn. But if you can fell the bud, there is less chance of leaving a little spot that can grow a scur.

So far none of my babies that he has disbudded have any scurs. I did have one doe that got some small scurs but I waited a few weeks longer to have her disbudded because she had a broken leg and I didn't want to give her any additional stress. I had bought 2 babies from a lady next state over with scurs and he fixed them for me. The one baby was a 3 month old Nigie and he just redid hers. The vet did one of them off kilter. Probably because he couldn't feel the horn bud, as I mentioned above.

And her half sister, my Alpine-Nigie cross, he just scraped her scur off with a pocket knife. There is still a tiny scur there but it doesn'y bother her.

He has a disbudding box, and he holds the iron on for about 8 to 10 seconds, while rotating it gently in a circle. He likes to see the copper coloring in the ring before stopping.

8. ozark_jewels

I got mine from Hoeggers and yes, I bought the smaller tip to attach on as well. Its called a goat tip, from Hoeggers....wonder if its the same size as what your talking about?? The regular tip is for calves and much too big for goats.

9. ozark_jewels

Are you talking about the regular tip and the goat tip?? Or the goat tip and the pygmy tip??
    If its the regular tip and the goat tip your asking about, then you'll need the goat tip, as the regular tip it was made with for calves is too big.
    If its the goat tip and the Pygmy tip your talking about...I probably wouldn't bother. I disbudded pygmy kids with the regular tip and they did just fine.
    Here is the one I bought from Hoeggers:
    http://tinyurl.com/y8wsxj
    The smaller tip sticking out on the end of the iron *is* the goat tip. The big thing right back of it is the calf tip. Big difference, huh?? :) The regular goat tip has always done fine for me with pygmies or standard kids.

10. dezeeuwgoats

Emily - thanks for clearing that up!

Niki

11. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

talking about disbudding and maybe a little thread drift....

I got my LaMancha's and the lady dehorned them for me as I would not buy them otherwise; they had 2 inch spikes already. They looked good, I put all the stuff on them that she said to, but now about 3 months later, they have little spurs growing in...two of them have one each and another has both coming in. Should I have them disbudded...will that work? Or should I leave it...how big will they grow. The heat is so bad here in the summer that I do not want them caught in a fence and dying if I happen to not be home!

Sorry for the thread drift! :angel:

12. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

By dehorn do you mean she disbudded them with an iron? It has been my experience that once those horns start growing it's too late to burn. A friend of mine had horns surgically removed on her goats when she had that problem. Otherwise, yes, I expect they will continue to grow. (assuming they are hard and not soft?)

We have Nubians, so I have no experience with anything else. I like to do the little bucks inside of two or three days, and the does inside of a week.

mary

13. dezeeuwgoats

Cash's Cowgirl - it is my understanding that once the horns have pushed through the skin - it is too late to disbud, especially that far through. I've had them done after they pushed through just a teeny -weeny bit, but it was with the understanding that they'd probably have scurs. My friend does it for me - and she was very clear that once through, we'd probably have scurs.

Niki

14. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I had some doelings that had little spikes that already poked through and I was able to disbud because the burner fit over the horn. No Scours.

Just make sure that you allow the dehorner to get hot again after each kid. I think that's the secret.

15. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

I have the rhinehart x-30. It reaches 1000 degrees. It does a fantastic job and I don't need to change tips. I raise pygmies and Nubians. Works very well for both. Here's a little tip.
    Disbud as soon as you feel hornbuds on their head. This may be as soon as two days for males. If you do this and give your iron at least twenty minutes to heat up, you should have no problem. Wait another twenty minutes before disbudding another animal. If you wait too long to disbud or your iron is not hot enough, your animal will likely have scurs. Be sure to vaccinate at the same time you disbud with Clostridium perfringens types C & D tetanus toxoid. Hit them again in 21-28 days with this vaccine.
    Also, to help you see the horn bud, shave the hair around the bud first. This also keeps the smoke down.

Good luck to you,
    Malissa in Texas

16. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Be sure to vaccinate at the same time you disbud with Clostridium perfringens types C & D tetanus toxoid.

This is a very good subject to discuss. Giving a toxoid when you disbud does nothing for the kid to stop tetanus. It also can negate any maternal immunity to both tetanus and entero when giving it to a kid who is only a week or two old, and whose immunity is all from the colostrum they recieve. Remember that kids are born sterile (unlike human children who get immunity from the placenta and don't 'need' to be nursed) infant goatlings are born sterile, recieve no immunity via the placenta, and need highquality colostrum to thrive.

Tetanus Toxoid, CD&T etc...are not full immunities until after the 2nd series shot is given. Vaccinate your does prekidding to bolster that colostrum. Give your CD&T shots at 6 and 9 weeks. I also give another after 12 weeks old. If you are questioning the vaccination record of your kids, or you are in a tetanus prone area like we are than give antitoxin at disbudding. Vicki