Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am in a terrible situation and either have to get rid of my sweet goat or dehorn him. We have to make this decision soon because he is beating up one of my original goats and it is causing her not to get better from being sick. He is a couple years old so his horns aren鈥檛 little. I really need to know more about dehorning an adult goat before I make the decision so if you know anything please tell me everything you know. Thank you 馃槉

Registered
Like others told you in your original post, it sounds like you have an aggressive goat. Removing the horns is not easy with an adult goat, I would not attempt it on my own which means you have vet expenses, And removing horns will not necessarily change his attitude.

Registered
Hi I am in a terrible situation and either have to get rid of my sweet goat or dehorn him. We have to make this decision soon because he is beating up one of my original goats and it is causing her not to get better from being sick. He is a couple years old so his horns aren鈥檛 little. I really need to know more about dehorning an adult goat before I make the decision so if you know anything please tell me everything you know. Thank you 馃槉
Cutting off his horns won't stop him from being a bully. But if you want to give it a try, the first thing you need is a red hot iron. Tie him down, put your knee across his neck take a small pruning saw and cut off his horns at what ever length you like, then press the hot iron on the cut until the bleeding stops.

This procedure will be noisy and smell bad. But his horns will be shorter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.